Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Can you add/remove songs to your playlist?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
 
Old 03-02-2008, 09:15 PM
#1
 
Junior Lounger
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 67
Can you add/remove songs to your playlist?

Can you add/remove songs to your playlist?

Without using iTune? I mean like press and hold on one song you like to add to your playlist, is there a feature like that? I think my 5G iPod Video has that...
JustChaos is offline  
Reply With Quote

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:41 PM
#2
 
Pro Lounger
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 795

You can't add or remove songs directly on the iPod touch except for the On-the-Go playlist.
daihard is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:17 AM
#3
 
Junior Lounger
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by daihard
You can't add or remove songs directly on the iPod touch except for the On-the-Go playlist.
well i hopes they add that feature in next 1.1.5 firmware
JustChaos is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:30 AM
#4
 
Senior Lounger
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Spain
Posts: 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChaos
well i hopes they add that feature in next 1.1.5 firmware
Might be wrong, but it has never been possible to add songs on playlist directly on the iPod (with the exception of On-the-go list) on any ipod model/generation.

That makes me think that is something they are not going to consider, even in the future, otherwise would have been done already.

Ciao.



iPod touch 4G Black (64 Gigs)
iPhone 5 Black (16 Gigs)
MacBook PRO 15'
Ultimate ears Super.fi 5 Pro
smiduri is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:44 AM
#5
 
Power Lounger
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,306

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiduri
Might be wrong, but it has never been possible to add songs on playlist directly on the iPod (with the exception of On-the-go list) on any ipod model/generation.

That makes me think that is something they are not going to consider, even in the future, otherwise would have been done already.

Ciao.
yep. and honestly I don't think it's necessary. if you want a new playlist, just add everything from the original playlist to the on-the-go playlist and then add all the other stuff you want. that's it.
BlackWolf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:49 AM
#6
 
Pro Lounger
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiduri
Might be wrong, but it has never been possible to add songs on playlist directly on the iPod (with the exception of On-the-go list) on any ipod model/generation.

That makes me think that is something they are not going to consider, even in the future, otherwise would have been done already.
I would say you're right. Apple's principle is to make things as simple as possible on the iPod itself while letting the user do pretty much everything on the iTunes.



iPhone 3GS (32GB black) / Sennheiser MM200
Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) / MacBook (Black, 160GB HDD, 2GB RAM)
Kubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) / Shuttle XPC SK22G2-V2
daihard is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:39 PM
#7
 
Junior Lounger
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 74

except, it doesn't make everything simple. If you find a track on your ipod that you don't want on the playlist. you have to A) remember what track it is, b) get to your home pc and then take the track off the playlist... it would be much much easier to remove the track from the ipod.

Especially if you're opting to manually manage music.

I just don't see why this feature isn't standard. It is on pretty much every music player I've ever owned or used.

The ON-THE-GO playlist is rather pointless when you're manually managing your music as it doesn't sync with itunes at all - doesn't even show up in itunes.
Even my 40 mobile phone has the ability to manage playlists Add/rename/delete and the ability to add tracks to playlists.
Every machine I've ever owned that uses playlists has this feature.

It doesn't make my ipod easier to use (quite the opposite in fact)
netean is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:43 PM
#8
 
Insanely Sarcastic
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 6,997

Quote:
Originally Posted by daihard
I would say you're right. Apple's principle is to make things as simple as possible on the iPod itself while letting the user do pretty much everything on the iTunes.
I would had agree with you with the one-button iPod, but with the more capable touch interface, they oughtta build in more capable functions and have two-ways true-sync. iTunes on the iPod, as is, is been pretty much unchanged since iPod1, time for a (real) upgrade I say.
bobb-mini is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:12 PM
#9
 
Power Lounger
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,306

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobb-mini
I would had agree with you with the one-button iPod, but with the more capable touch interface, they oughtta build in more capable functions and have two-ways true-sync. iTunes on the iPod, as is, is been pretty much unchanged since iPod1, time for a (real) upgrade I say.
well, yes and no. you COULD do that but you COULD do that with the normal ipods as well.
it's just that apple, from the very beginning of the ipods, decided to leave some functions out but with the result that the ipods are incredibly easy to handle. and they did the same with the touch. of course they could built in more, but it would make the device far more complicated. and like I said, you can do almost anything with the on-the-go-playlist you got, so ...
BlackWolf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:14 PM
#10
 
Veteran Lounger
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Back Home In Indiana
Posts: 2,710

Why not just tag songs you don't care for and want to remove with a rating of "*" (one star) and then just yank those when you get home? Not quite as easy as it could be, I'll give you that, but better than just trying to remember...



Found on a Firewire cable - If you need to detain a burglar until the authorities arrive, this FireWire cable can render approximately three perpetrators immobile when properly hog-tied.
DerekVOF is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:21 PM
#11
 
Dim
Pro Lounger
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Posts: 824

Quote:
Originally Posted by netean
The ON-THE-GO playlist is rather pointless when you're manually managing your music as it doesn't sync with itunes at all - doesn't even show up in itunes.
Which ipod are you using? My iPhone's OTG playlist shows up on my computer, even though I manually manage music/videos.

Anyway, it's pretty easy to accomplish this behavior with Smart Playlists if needed.



Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" Intel 2.8GHz
Camera: Nikon D40x
Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)
Dim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:35 PM
#12
 
Insanely Sarcastic
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 6,997

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWolf
it's just that apple, from the very beginning of the ipods, decided to leave some functions out but with the result that the ipods are incredibly easy to handle. and they did the same with the touch. of course they could built in more, but it would make the device far more complicated.
Yes, I agree with simplicity. Once I purchased an Apple manual that teaches u how to build the perfect intuitive interface, so am conversant on the subject.

However though, simplicity and power are not mutually exclusive. A simple case in point, u see some home stereos that have only a few buttons in front, but when u want to (and need to) u flip a hinge and it reveals all the power controls u desire.

So yes, have a simple front to not confuse people, but click on the "power" icon for those of us who are not noobs.

Quote:
and like I said, you can do almost anything with the on-the-go-playlist you got, so ...
Can't delete...

It's not a matter or can/cannot, but convinience. Am thinking easy/now. 'Coz as now, the management of the iPod, for the most part, can only be accomplished when I get home. Dunno about u but I forget, have other things to do when I get home. Why not let me do some of this maintenance while I am on the train and have nothing better to do?

It's kind the same with my cellphone's address book. I want to be able to make changes "on the field" then when I get home have my PC recognize those changes automatically.
bobb-mini is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:59 PM
#13
 
Veteran Lounger
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Back Home In Indiana
Posts: 2,710

Actually, this is kind of funny - Lifehacker has an article up today about this very issue - http://lifehacker.com/363115/automat...from-your-ipod



Found on a Firewire cable - If you need to detain a burglar until the authorities arrive, this FireWire cable can render approximately three perpetrators immobile when properly hog-tied.
DerekVOF is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:53 PM
#14
 
Freshman Lounger
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1
Would love to be able to remove from playlist while I'm jogging

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekVOF
Why not just tag songs you don't care for and want to remove with a rating of "*" (one star) and then just yank those when you get home? Not quite as easy as it could be, I'll give you that, but better than just trying to remember...
Sometimes, I'm running and a song comes on and I say "this song is not for working out" (even though I thought it may have been when I was making the playlist, but in the heat of passion, the song sucks) and I have to change it as soon as possible. It would be so cool if you could just perform some function that would remove it from that playlist on the iphone "on the fly". There would be no legal issues if it were just "removing" a song from a playlist order.

This would be a huge add. It's dangerous when you're running pretty hard and trying to prevent yourself from falling while changing the song. You should be able to swipe the item to the right like you delete other items, and it would remove the song quickly.
moosiorski is offline  
Reply With Quote

Topic: Can you add/remove songs to your playlist?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





View iLounge History. Read our old Forums Archive (2001-2003)
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:33 PM.


Shop for Accessories: Cases, speakers, chargers, etc.