What does it mean when an iTouch is locked?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

skaler

Someone on craigslist is selling an iTouch very cheaply($100). Doesn't state the size, but does say "trouble is, it's locked".
What does that mean? I've seen new sealed 8gig iTouch iPods for $200, and am willing to pay that. Still, if Apple can unlock one for a fee, I'd be willing to give it a shot.
Opinions? Advice?
Thanks.

DerekVOF

Usually, it means someone put a passcode on it to prevent people from seeing their stuff. Of course if this person is selling it with a passcode that they don't know, it's probably stolen...

To unlock, all you should need to do is force restore and it should restore to factory settings...

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
DerekVOF said:
To unlock, all you should need to do is force restore and it should restore to factory settings...
If I'm not mistaken, I believe you have to restore it on the computer from which it calls "home" in order to bypass the lock.

Stay Alive 305

iPhone 3G Owner
Website
www.myspace.com
DerekVOF said:
Usually, it means someone put a passcode on it to prevent people from seeing their stuff. Of course if this person is selling it with a passcode that they don't know, it's probably stolen...

Yeah, and when an iPhone is locked it means it only works for Cingular.

You unlock it to use it with other carriers.

DerekVOF

Ummm... no - he said specifically an iTouch NOT an iPhone. There's nothing about Cingular or other carriers with your iPod Touch. Guess you didn't read the original post.

As for the "home" computer, that's only if you want to just unlock but NOT lose your stuff on it. Apple is not going to brick your iPod Touch if you forget your lock code and your computer dies on you.

Stay Alive 305

iPhone 3G Owner
Website
www.myspace.com
DerekVOF said:
Ummm... no - he said specifically an iTouch NOT an iPhone. There's nothing about Cingular or other carriers with your iPod Touch. Guess you didn't read the original post.

As for the "home" computer, that's only if you want to just unlock but NOT lose your stuff on it. Apple is not going to brick your iPod Touch if you forget your lock code and your computer dies on you.
I was just informing him about what it means for the iPhone as well.

skaler

Hi. Thanks for the quick replies. So, a locked iTouch can be restored to factory specs by anyone?
I own an 80gig Ipod classic. Does the iTouch use the same iTunes as my iPod? If so, assuming I buy the iTouch, can I use the same iTunes already installed on my computer to transfer the music to the iTouch?
I just want the iTouch for it's larger display(old, failing eyes). Also, after having owned the 80gig Classic for almost 6 months now, I can see that it's huge capacity will just go to waste. I only use it for music, (so far, anyway), and still have less than 7 gigs used up. So, an 8gig iTouch would be just fine for me.

BlackWolf

skaler said:
Hi. Thanks for the quick replies. So, a locked iTouch can be restored to factory specs by anyone?
I own an 80gig Ipod classic. Does the iTouch use the same iTunes as my iPod? If so, assuming I buy the iTouch, can I use the same iTunes already installed on my computer to transfer the music to the iTouch?
I just want the iTouch for it's larger display(old, failing eyes). Also, after having owned the 80gig Classic for almost 6 months now, I can see that it's huge capacity will just go to waste. I only use it for music, (so far, anyway), and still have less than 7 gigs used up. So, an 8gig iTouch would be just fine for me.
yep, it can. just that if anyone does it the touch will be restored and therefore all data on it will be lost, but I think that doesn't matter for you, does it? so if you want a touch: go for it.
and yes you can use "your" itunes as long as you have 7.6 or newer.