New iPod Touch owner in here.. general question about song transfer..

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Noserfatu

iTunes automatically converted all my files into folders... some artists have 3 different folders, and some folders have a bunch of folders within this folders.. some only with 1 song.

This is ridiculous to have this many folders.. i need to consolidate and I need to do it in a way where I recognize what songs are in what folders.

Am i going to have to re-organize all the songs in folders I want and rename them to what I want? or does this not work.. I know apple is weird in their ways.

My roommate suggested I change the info of all the songs in to the artist and song name I want, but that would take forever, I think it would be easier just to do it using windows.

sorry if this sounds weird or noob, but organization is a serious issue.

what is the easiest way to accomplish what i want to achieve?

BlackWolf

well, you will run into trouble I guess.

first of all: itunes only renames your stuff if you tell it to manage your music library. if you do so, itunes will ALWAYS do it the way it does that now. the format is
Artist\Album\Album Number-Track Number Track Title.mp3
you cannot change this. if you wanted to keep your own folder structure you shouldn't have told itunes to manage your library.

in the end, you will have to enter all the song information correctly anyways, since the ipod does not have any kind of folder structure but all songs are found using the songs ID3-tags. so if your tags are wrong you will have really big trouble finding your stuff on the touch, so I havily advise you to tag your files correctly. you should do that anyway, always, regardless of itunes and ipods ;-)

DerekVOF

You can always turn off "manage my music library" in the advanced menu.

You can also select multiple tracks, tag them all with the same artist & album and your folder structure will automatically be adjusted to match... If you want to quickly tag your music, look into MusicBrainz and find a tagger that works with it... The one for the Mac is called "IEatBrainz" I believe...

Wilder_K_Wight

Old-School Lounger
Why would you WANT to dig around in your music folders, anyway?

If you can access your music in iTunes, and on your iPod, then what difference does it make how iTunes organizes things behind the scenes? Just let it do its thing.

TwistEdFish

Quick solution

Here is how i handled this same situation for my Wife and Son to be able to better track their own music libraries.

Within iTunes i opened the main library used the browser to view each genre type, Say for now in reference to Classic Rock, There were multiple folders in the library such as Blues Rock, Rock, Hard rock and so on something like 11 different genres which my wife wanted all in 1 genre. Easy fix, in the browser i selected all the rock genre folders by holding CTRL and clicking each one. The clicked a single file in the track list below the browser. Clicked EDIT in the menu bar at top of itunes and chose SELECT ALL back to track list RIGHT CLICK any track and chose Get Info, changed the genre on all songs to CLASSIC ROCK and selected OK problem solved all rock type music is now tagged as GENRE Classic rock and have been resorted by Itunes into that folder while still keeping the Artist/Album/Track tagging within that folder.

This technique works to go far beyond just the genre as i did the same type of thing with my sons music such as "Lil Wayne" which he had music that had the artists name in about 5 different way such as Lil' Wayne, lil Wayne, Lil_Wayne and so on, same technique for selecting then change the artists to the way you want "Lil Wayne" to be spelled or typed in you library.

I know this seems like an awful lot of typing for such a simple thing but i was seriously surprised to find out how many people had no idea how to do this within iTunes. So in closing i will just say my public music library is 274gb consisting of the entire families music collection yet we have only 6 genres and everyone in the house loves this new sorting as its so much easier for each person now to sync their music with the iPod.

Hope this helps at least one person!!!