Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How Do You Turn The Music Off?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 02-06-2008, 07:22 PM

Junior Lounger

How Do You Turn The Music Off?

Probably a stupid question, but there is a pause and a play. If I am playing music and want to leave and say go to email but not with the music on, what do I do. I read the manual but I am sure I am missing something. So far all I can figure is to turn the Touch completely off and then back on. If I want to stop the music and just put it to sleep???

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:27 PM

You go to the now playing screen and hit the pause button. That is the same thing as stopping the music. Remember that there isn't a single iPod out there that actually stops playing music, it simply pauses the music. So for example, you are playing music but you are at the main desktop. Simply select music at the very bottom and you can then change what you want to do. You can also put the iPod to sleep while the music is playing. You should turn off the screen while playing music. The iPod touch is rated for 22 hours of audio playback but that is drastically cut down to about 5 hours while playing with the screen on. You can also stop music without actually fully booting up the iPod touch. While the screen is off, simply press the button at the top of the iPod touch to turn it on. Then press the home button twice in a row (rather quickly). This will bring up play, pause, fast forward, rewind, and volume control options without you having to "slide to unlock."

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 02-06-2008, 07:32 PM

Junior Lounger

So hitting the pause button in effect stops the music and that's it?
Old 02-06-2008, 07:49 PM

Veteran Lounger

Pretty much - don't forget - there are no moving parts since its based on flash memory. There's nothing spinning or anything...

Found on a Firewire cable - If you need to detain a burglar until the authorities arrive, this FireWire cable can render approximately three perpetrators immobile when properly hog-tied.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog3777
So hitting the pause button in effect stops the music and that's it?
Yep, that is the way it has been since the very beginning. iPods have never had a stop button and probably never will. You simply hit the pause button and move on. Pausing will stop the music if you exit out of the music application or put the iPod into sleep mode. I remember that people asked this question back with the release of the 3G iPod as that was really the first mainstream iPod (ie it hit a bigger population).

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 02-07-2008, 06:30 AM

Junior Lounger

I heard that holding down the home button for 5 seconds kills running applications so I do that.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:33 AM

Power Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969azcj5
I heard that holding down the home button for 5 seconds kills running applications so I do that.
why should you? only thing that happens here is you music player gets killed, so you lose where you are playing right now and if you're unlucky you also loose playcounts etc. that changed since your last synced.

what sense does it make to put a song to STOP? none. pausing a song doesn't use up any battery, nothing - your song is paused and that's fine.

killing the music player seems a much more ugly way to stop your music.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:17 PM

Insanely Sarcastic

Modern electronics don't go OFF, u just say stop doing that, which is what pause is. After being paused for a while wo u doing nothing, the thing will go to sleep... automatically. There is no stop button, there is no off button.

PAUSED does not mean like the engine is still running... this is NOT a car!
Old 02-07-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWolf
why should you? only thing that happens here is you music player gets killed, so you lose where you are playing right now and if you're unlucky you also loose playcounts etc. that changed since your last synced.
what sense does it make to put a song to STOP? none. pausing a song doesn't use up any battery, nothing - your song is paused and that's fine.
killing the music player seems a much more ugly way to stop your music.
That is correct. There is no need to completely turn off the player or kill any applications that are running. Pause does not consume more processor power, battery juice, or anything of that nature. It is essentially stopping the music while having the benefit of remembering your playback position.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:04 AM

Freshman Lounger

Classics do have hard drives

Actually, iPod Classics do have mini hard drives, they are not completely solid state, so you wouldn't want it to stay in some mode that keeps the disc spinning....
Old 12-06-2010, 01:47 PM

Nice way to bump a 2 year old thread there. As I said way back then, iPods NEVER stop playing music. This has been the case since 2001 with the introduction of the 1G iPod (back before Apple started adding sub-names to all of their iPods). When a hard drive based iPod pauses, the hard drive stops spinning. An iPod's hard drive will only spin up if content is directly being accessed. Pausing the music will cause the hard drive to stop spinning, the end. I said it 2 years ago (almost three) and I will say it again: there is no traditional way to "stop" music from playing and there doesn't need to be. iPods have NEVER worked like that and they never will.

Topic: How Do You Turn The Music Off?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.