Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Ipod Disabled - Connect to Itunes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 01-24-2008, 01:53 AM

Freshman Lounger

Ipod Disabled - Connect to Itunes

So I won a 16gb touch off of ebay. It is locked and shows "Ipod Disabled - Connect to Itunes". I searched here, and a couple other sites, and found a couple instances of this, but none with a definitive outcome. ( I just won it today, so I don't have it in hand to try or confirm anything)

Does anyone know if I can just restore the touch and start fresh? Or is it going to be disabled completely and useless unless I have whatever password for it? Or is there some sort of lost/stolen program Apple has to lock a specific touch? (The seller says it was found on the ground.)

Any help is appreciated. I don't want to pay $275 for something I can't use.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:44 PM

Freshman Lounger

no one at all?
Old 01-24-2008, 01:48 PM

Brooklyn to Manhattan

My understanding is that unless you have the password or log onto the original desktop/laptop that the Touch synced to, it's a useless piece of technology that you have in your hands.

Hope you didn't transmit the funds to the seller.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:52 PM

Livin' & Lovin' in SoCal

Sounds like you got a stolen and password locked iPod Touch, better get a refund quick, or else you have one expensive door stop!

8gb iPhone 2G(retired to my closet) 16GB Touch 1G(still get use at the gym) 16GB iPhone 3G (with me everyday)
Old 01-24-2008, 01:57 PM

You might be able to restore the iPod, you just need to put it in a different mode. Try plugging it into your computer. Press and hold both the sleep and home buttons at the same time until the screen goes black (can take longer than 10 seconds) then let go of the sleep button (the button on the top of the unit) while keeping the home button held in (the button on the front of the iPod). Keep the home button held in until your computer recognizes new hardware. You should hear some sort of sound coming from your computer speakers. That and the "installing new hardware" notice should come up in your taskbar (this is where you computer shows the clock). Let go of the home button once this happens. Open up iTunes and then restore it.

Just a little FYI - it may take longer than 4 minutes before you can a response. You might want to wait at least a few hours before bumping your thread. Remember that this is a normal work week and not everyone is on these forums during normal working hours (ie 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM). Most of the traffic here on iLounge is during the evening.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 01-24-2008, 02:29 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornchild2002
You might be able to restore the iPod, you just need to put it in a different mode. Try plugging it into your computer. Press and hold both the sleep and home buttons at the same time until the screen goes black (can take longer than 10 seconds) then let go of the sleep button (the button on the top of the unit) while keeping the home button held in (the button on the front of the iPod). Keep the home button held in until your computer recognizes new hardware. You should hear some sort of sound coming from your computer speakers. That and the "installing new hardware" notice should come up in your taskbar (this is where you computer shows the clock). Let go of the home button once this happens. Open up iTunes and then restore it.

Just a little FYI - it may take longer than 4 minutes before you can a response. You might want to wait at least a few hours before bumping your thread. Remember that this is a normal work week and not everyone is on these forums during normal working hours (ie 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM). Most of the traffic here on iLounge is during the evening.
That's what info I found before. I don't think I'm gonna risk having a paperweight though. I didn't pay.

And how do you confuse a 4 minute bump and a 12 hour bump?

I posted that last night, and bumped it this afternoon. Just cus I don't have a high post number, doesn't mean I don't know how a forum works.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:34 PM

Veteran Lounger

FYI - the restore that kornchild2002 shouldn't paperweight anything. It's the default method for an "emergency" restore...

Found on a Firewire cable - If you need to detain a burglar until the authorities arrive, this FireWire cable can render approximately three perpetrators immobile when properly hog-tied.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:38 PM

Brooklyn to Manhattan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekVOF
FYI - the restore that kornchild2002 shouldn't paperweight anything. It's the default method for an "emergency" restore...
DerekVOF... I know that there is the emergency restore. But does it reset a password locked Touch?

I have my Touch set with a password. But if someone can simply use the emergency restore, heck, I might as well not lock it. I don't have anything to really hide, it was more that the Touch would be useless if it was ever stolen or lost.

TIA
Old 01-24-2008, 02:45 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoballz
DerekVOF... I know that there is the emergency restore. But does it reset a password locked Touch?

I have my Touch set with a password. But if someone can simply use the emergency restore, heck, I might as well not lock it. I don't have anything to really hide, it was more that the Touch would be useless if it was ever stolen or lost.

TIA
That's kinda what I was thinking.
And also, if it was registered by whoever had it first, would that cause problems too?
Old 01-24-2008, 03:03 PM

There won't be any harm in trying to restore the touch the way I described. I was confused about the time that you bumped your post, sorry. No need to become unglued. Too many people come on these forums and bump their threads after only a few minutes. My browser just displayed the wrong time of your initial post.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 01-24-2008, 03:21 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornchild2002
There won't be any harm in trying to restore the touch the way I described. I was confused about the time that you bumped your post, sorry. No need to become unglued. Too many people come on these forums and bump their threads after only a few minutes. My browser just displayed the wrong time of your initial post.
I know how it is. I'm not coming unglued, I'm just saying you shouldn't always assume the worst.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:30 PM

Veteran Lounger

OK - back on topic... I went to the source - the Apple iPod Touch Feature Guide - http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iPo...ures_Guide.pdf
Quote:
From page 88:
If you can’t remember your passcode
You must restore the iPod touch software. See “Updating and Restoring iPod touch Software” on page 89.
As I understand it, the passcode isn't designed to "brick" the iPod Touch if stolen, but rather prevent anyone from getting access to what you'd consider important personal information (e.g., email accounts, credit card info, etc.).

Found on a Firewire cable - If you need to detain a burglar until the authorities arrive, this FireWire cable can render approximately three perpetrators immobile when properly hog-tied.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:47 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by the p0pe
And also, if it was registered by whoever had it first, would that cause problems too?
I have nothing to back this up, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere that this might be a problem if you ever had the iPod serviced (including battery replacement). However, I'm not sure if they do anything when you re-register a stolen iPod via iTunes.

By the way, "The seller says it was found on the ground."??? Oldest line in the book...this should've thrown up a giant red flag. I wouldn't have touched that auction with a 10 foot pole.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:25 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
As I understand it, the passcode isn't designed to "brick" the iPod Touch if stolen, but rather prevent anyone from getting access to what you'd consider important personal information (e.g., email accounts, credit card info, etc.).
Yeah that would make sense.

sgb1975,
Well I'm not saying their story was true, but either way, it's not like it really matters. They stole it or found it, the original owner doesn't have it, and they're not going to attempt to give it back, so I just decided to go for it anyways.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:35 PM

Brooklyn to Manhattan

Quote:
OK - back on topic... I went to the source - the Apple iPod Touch Feature Guide - http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iPo...ures_Guide.pdf
LOL... I knew not reading the unenclosed manual would bite me in the rear. Actually, I didn't realize there was a manual until I read an unrelated thread a few days ago.

Topic: Ipod Disabled - Connect to Itunes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.