Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Can I output my touch to the TV like my 5th Gen?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-22-2008, 08:10 PM

Podcast Junkie

Can I output my touch to the TV like my 5th Gen?

I have a cable to output my video to my TV on my iPod Video. Can I do this with the Touch? Same cable? I tried and got nothing, but I don't get the TV prompt when playing videos like the 5th Gen either.

G-Man
iPad 64GB - iPod Touch - iPod Video
iPod Photo - iPod Shuffle

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:38 PM

Veteran Lounger

Yes, you can output to TV. However, it requires the new cables from Apple - http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...More=MB129LL/A

Found on a Firewire cable - If you need to detain a burglar until the authorities arrive, this FireWire cable can render approximately three perpetrators immobile when properly hog-tied.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:59 AM

Freshman Lounger

no it is possible to do it with a regular video RCA cable, i read it online the other day but now i can't find the blog

basically apple have tried to be clever and re-assign each jack, so instead of the yellow cable going into the yellow AV port it's the red one and so on
Old 01-23-2008, 08:03 AM

Freshman Lounger

change the video settings to output on your touch and try this

RED into YELLOW
YELLOW into WHITE
WHITE into RED

can someone confirm this?
Old 01-23-2008, 08:07 AM

Power Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooley
change the video settings to output on your touch and try this

RED into YELLOW
YELLOW into WHITE
WHITE into RED

can someone confirm this?
the touch doesn't even have the necessary hardware to output through the headphone jack, so this will not work.

you need the $50 cable from apple. total rip-off since you can get the same cable for 5 bucks just it hasn't a dock connector on one end and no apple chip inside.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:47 PM

Freshman Lounger

I've upgraded to 1.1.3 and you DO NOT need to buy Apple's cable. Yes, it will NOT work by plugging in the cable directly to the Touch, you have to instead, plug the 1/4" jack into a Universal Dock (line out) and then into the TV. The jacks to the TV are correct as above:

RED into YELLOW
YELLOW into WHITE
WHITE into RED

I purchased some $1.99 cables from the Dollarama and it worked flawlessly into my TV.

DO NOT SPEND $50 ON APPLE CABLES!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 04:47 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver99
I've upgraded to 1.1.3 and you DO NOT need to buy Apple's cable. Yes, it will NOT work by plugging in the cable directly to the Touch, you have to instead, plug the 1/4" jack into a Universal Dock (line out) and then into the TV. The jacks to the TV are correct as above:

RED into YELLOW
YELLOW into WHITE
WHITE into RED

I purchased some $1.99 cables from the Dollarama and it worked flawlessly into my TV.

The old Universal Dock (round IR receiver in the front)? Or the new Universal Dock (2007; small slit IR receiver in the front)?

~ iPod Touché ~
Old 01-23-2008, 05:00 PM

Junior Lounger

Hi will this dock work as the line out for the TV see attached

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Can I output my touch to the TV like my 5th Gen?-ipod-dock.jpg  

Last edited by Ninja21; 01-23-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:03 PM

Power Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver99

RED into YELLOW
YELLOW into WHITE
WHITE into RED

since the universal dock costs $40 or $50 as well I don't really save any money, do I?
Old 01-23-2008, 05:20 PM

Junior Lounger

Buy a universal dock off ebay, about $10

Dave
Old 01-23-2008, 07:38 PM

OK, I have the old universal dock introduced back when Apple came out with the 5G iPod. It has the IR remote sensor, s-video output, and video output through the minijack on the back. I actually purchased Apple's $100 AV accessory kit which came with that dock, a USB2.0 AC adapter, the video cables (which go from the mini jack to RCA left and right audio and composite video), a USB2.0 cable, and the IR remote.

I have tried to hook my iPod touch up to my TV using those cables many many times and it never worked. I even upgraded to 1.1.3 and it still never output video so I was going to purchase the new component video cables. However, I restored my iPod touch about two days ago after giving up on the whole thing. Today I plug my iPod touch into the dock and it is able to output video using the old iPod accessories.

The iPod touch annot output video through the headphone adapter as it is physically incapable of doing so. However Apple's old Universal dock will allow it to output video using those same cables. It is my understanding that only Apple docks will work with video output though. The newer docks have that video authentication chip and the older ones have some sort of chip in them. Before, the iPod touch needed that newer authentication chip to output video. Now I think it can do it without the newer chip as my older Apple universal dock worked with the older Apple cables.

I would not purchase any 3rd party dock as you run a high risk of it not working. If you can find an official Apple universal dock then go ahead and purchase it as it worked for me. Don't purchase 3rd party accessories when it comes to video as they more than likely won't work. All docks will work for audio output but not for video. Those cheap eBay docks probably won't work unless they are officially made by Apple.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 01-24-2008, 04:20 AM

Junior Lounger

Thanks for the heads up.

Dave
Old 01-24-2008, 08:15 AM

Freshman Lounger

This is crap, I really don't wanna buy into apples accesories just to play video through my TV, but it looks like I have no choice
Old 01-24-2008, 12:15 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by namja
The old Universal Dock (round IR receiver in the front)? Or the new Universal Dock (2007; small slit IR receiver in the front)?
I have the old Universal Dock (round IR receiver in the front and S-video/line out) in the back.

Works great.

If you don't have a dock then maybe the cables would be a good purchase, but since I already had a dock from my 5 gen Video ipod, i thought it'd save me some money (which it did).

Topic: Can I output my touch to the TV like my 5th Gen?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.