Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: can you rent a movie from the touch?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-22-2008, 11:49 AM

jdeproductions
Banned

can you rent a movie from the touch?

or do you have to rent it at your pc itunes then transfer it to the touch?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:01 PM

Reclined Lounger

You can only rent movies from iTunes on your computer at the moment. Movies would probably take too long to download to the device.

At the moment, you can only download music from the iTunes WiFi store. Hopefully they will add podcast and music video support in future updates.

Want more?
Old 01-22-2008, 03:08 PM

Power Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaski
You can only rent movies from iTunes on your computer at the moment. Movies would probably take too long to download to the device.

At the moment, you can only download music from the iTunes WiFi store. Hopefully they will add podcast and music video support in future updates.
downloading movies to the ipod would take the same amount of time as downloading them with your PC.
I personally would really like that feature. imagine being at a friends house and you are bored or something, so you just take out your ipod, rent a movie, connect it to the tv and there you go ...
Old 01-22-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWolf
downloading movies to the ipod would take the same amount of time as downloading them with your PC.
I personally would really like that feature. imagine being at a friends house and you are bored or something, so you just take out your ipod, rent a movie, connect it to the tv and there you go ...
Depending on the internet connection it could be faster on a wired computer. The touch only has g Wifi built in currently.

But being able to do it, would rock the big one.

Note that you can also rent movies directly from an Apple TV. This is the only place currently to get HD content, though HD content can't be moved from the apple TV like SD content.

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 01-22-2008, 04:28 PM

iPhone 3G Owner

You can only download songs through the iPod Touch.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Alive 305
You can only download songs through the iPod Touch.
Well yeah but not videos as the OP asked. I really think that if Apple wants to step things up that they should fully unlock the iTunes Store with the iPhone and iPod touch. That way we have access to everything the store has to offer making the iPod touch a true wireless portable. We still need a computer for videos and podcasts.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 01-22-2008, 05:44 PM

Veteran Lounger

Honestly, I don't think it makes any sense at this time if you do the math...

#1 - Movies run anywhere from 1-2GB depending on the length (my copy of Pirates of the Carribean 2 is like 1.6GB).
#2 - You'd be downloading over Wi-Fi meaning its gonna be slower than over your computer for the most part. And godforbid you walk out of range or lose signal during the download.
#3 - In addition to being slower than your computer, Wi-Fi burns the battery FAST. I think BlackWolf ran the test and it came in at only 2-3 hours of Wi-Fi...

So, by the time you download the movie to your iPod Touch, you won't have enough battery left to actually watch it. At which point you'd be plugging in to charge anyways so why not just pull it from your computer?

Figure a good portion of the time the download will FAIL which means it'd have to be downloaded on your computer anyways which means you just wasted a fair amount of bandwidth that Apple's paying for.

Honestly, it just doesn't make good business sense until they add 802.11n and better battery life on Wi-Fi...

Found on a Firewire cable - If you need to detain a burglar until the authorities arrive, this FireWire cable can render approximately three perpetrators immobile when properly hog-tied.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:37 PM

Junior Lounger

how does the renting work? once its on your ipod how do they take it away
Old 01-22-2008, 06:41 PM

Reclined Lounger

The next time you synced it would probably be deleted. Not sure though
Old 01-22-2008, 06:46 PM

Power Lounger

when you rent a movie you can keep it on your computer/ipod unwatched for up to 30 days. When you start watching it it will be deleted after 24 hours.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:44 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekVOF
Honestly, I don't think it makes any sense at this time if you do the math...

SNIP
#2 - You'd be downloading over Wi-Fi meaning its gonna be slower than over your computer for the most part. And godforbid you walk out of range or lose signal during the download.
#3 - In addition to being slower than your computer, Wi-Fi burns the battery FAST. I think BlackWolf ran the test and it came in at only 2-3 hours of Wi-Fi...

So, by the time you download the movie to your iPod Touch, you won't have enough battery left to actually watch it. At which point you'd be plugging in to charge anyways so why not just pull it from your computer?

SNIP.
Actually 802.11g runs at 56Mbps whereas most cable and DSL systems run between 1.5 and 30Mbps so WiFi is actually faster. Since a WiFi connection is usually made through a broadband connection you're still limited by the broadband connection, not WiFi. Couple that with a download to the computer and then a sync to the iPod and it could take some time to get it onto the Touch. Also, I may not be at my computer and would like to watch a movie so making a connection at the airport or a local WiFi spot would be convenient.

Battery life may be an issue as a 2GB file transfer over a 1.5Mbps DSL line will take just a little over 3 hours. Of course most DSL and Cable connections run 2-4 times faster than 1.5Mbps. At 6Mbps your down to about 45 mins.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:33 AM

ipod adviser

first of all, it is not a good idea to download movie to iphone or touch because space is not bigger like ipod classic. second, it takes too much time. your battery will be drain so faster. but if Apple has a plan to do, it will be music videos, TV shows.

you can move rented movies from itunes to device or device to itunes when you connect. remember. it's not copy like purchased movies. it's transfer.

more information, go to apple.com

16GB 2nd Gen. ipod touch, 8GB iphone 3G, 8GB first gen. ipod touch.

new Apple in-earphone, V-moda Vibe II, Ultimate ears Super fi 4v, iSkin Cerulean X1, Shure SE210

new 15-inch unibody Macbook Pro, Intel core2duo 24-inch iMac, new Apple LED 24-inch monitor, Sony Vaio VGN-NR180E (200GB HDD, core2duo) 15.4-inch wide screen.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:33 AM

Veteran Lounger

I cannot understand why anyone would even pay for these rentals it amazes me how popular they seem to be around here...what a complete and utter rip off. $4 for a new release for 24 hrs when you can get one from blockbuster for $3 for much longer or go to a redbox for $1 for 24 hrs.

Its just ridiculous the asking price, now had new releases been $1.50 I would consider it..$4 I'll pass.

iPod Shuffle [2GB/3G] -- iPod Video 240GB -- iPod Classic 120GB -- iPod Nano 16GB [4G] -- iPod Shuffle [2GB/2G] -- iPod Shuffle 4GB
Retired: 5G 60GB, 80GB, Classic 80GB, 2G Shuffle 1GB, iPod Touch 1G 16GB, 1G Nano, 2G Nano
Old 01-23-2008, 07:13 AM

Power Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidxe
I cannot understand why anyone would even pay for these rentals it amazes me how popular they seem to be around here...what a complete and utter rip off. $4 for a new release for 24 hrs when you can get one from blockbuster for $3 for much longer or go to a redbox for $1 for 24 hrs.

Its just ridiculous the asking price, now had new releases been $1.50 I would consider it..$4 I'll pass.
yeah, I would never rent from itunes. that's why renting from the ipod would be cool. since you could rent from everywhere anytime it would make sense. of course only if you could watch while you download.

as for battery draining: well, it would last for one movie and you could just use a ac adapter if you have one. would work for me.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:06 PM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidxe

You'd be surprised the price people pay for convenience, though.

Imagine someone's at home with kids and instead of going through the following hassles:
-Round the kids up
-Warm the car up (it's winter here)
-Drive the slippery roads to the nearest blockbuster.
-Weave your way through stinky dirtballs looking for a movie or two.
-Go on a hunt since one of your kids wandered off.
-Wait in line for 10 minutes because the employees are idiots.
-Go home and finally watch movie.
-Have to drop it off sometime over the next couple days.

Instead, of this, we click the mouse a few times to start a download and start watching from the comfortable position I'm already in.

Start to see the picture? For someone who only rents once in a while, which do you think they would prefer?

Topic: can you rent a movie from the touch?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.