GMail app. How do I archive mail? - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: GMail app. How do I archive mail?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-19-2008, 12:21 PM

Freshman Lounger

GMail app. How do I archive mail?

Hi,
I just downloaded the new software for the touch. I really like the mail app, but one question. I'm using it for gmail. How do I archive mail? I only see the ability to put it in the trash.
thanks
Old 01-19-2008, 12:28 PM

Basically you can just use the "Move" option and move it to the "[GMail]->All Mail" folder. This is the IMAP equivalent of archiving.

Further, if you reconfigure your GMail IMAP account to store trash messages in a local trash folder (ie, set your Trash folder to "On my iPhone" under your account's advanced preferences), then every message you delete will instead be archived by default, and you will have to manually move messages to GMail's Deleted folder in order to actually delete them.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:33 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc9477
Hi,
I just downloaded the new software for the touch. I really like the mail app, but one question. I'm using it for gmail. How do I archive mail? I only see the ability to put it in the trash.
thanks
Honestly, if you're a gmail user you're better off going to gmail.com on the safari browser. Gmail has it's own design for iPod Touch and iPhone users that beats the mail app IMO.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:10 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmyaibo
Honestly, if you're a gmail user you're better off going to gmail.com on the safari browser. Gmail has it's own design for iPod Touch and iPhone users that beats the mail app IMO.
I agree. Gmail recently changed it around a bit and just using safari is way better.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:08 PM

While the new GMail iPhone interface is very nice, the reality is that it's still much more limited than using the built-in Mail app for all but the most casual of use...
  • The Mail app polls for mail automatically on a regular basis, and provides some notification of new messages.
  • It's also generally faster to open and access, unless you leave a page with GMail open in the Safari application all the time.
  • Further, the Mail app can be used offline, when out of range of a WiFi access point and/or cellular service. Any mail you've already downloaded is stored on the iPod touch or iPhone itself, and you can read messages, move them between folders, and delete them while offline, and these changes will be reconciled when you're back in coverage.
  • You can even compose messages while offline, and they will be sent when you're back in coverage. You also don't risk losing a draft message due to poor network connectivity (although to be fair, GMail is pretty good at saving your drafts-in-progress).
  • You can send photos and links from Safari and YouTube through the built-in Mail app. This is currently impossible to do via the Safari interface.

Click the image to open in full size.

Topic: GMail app. How do I archive mail?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.