Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Check marks beside the songs in iTunes?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-03-2008, 05:02 PM

car
Senior Lounger

Check marks beside the songs in iTunes?

You know those little check marks beside each song in iTunes? Well all of the songs on my iTunes are currently checked...Does that mean that if my touch was set to 'autosync' that ALL of those songs would get transferred on it?

I have a big music library, but only an 8GB iPod Touch, and so it's currently set to manual sync. However, if I were to put it to autosync and only checked a certain number of songs (less than 8GB), can I then put my iPod to autosync....? lol, is my question clear?

I want it to be on autosync, but I can't right now cause I have far too many songs. Will unchecking some songs make them not autosync when the ipod is connected?

Thanks a bunch for your help!

ps. I'm really enjoying my touch! wow!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:24 PM

Reclined Lounger

If it is set to auto sync, those songs even if they are not checked, will be synced to the iPod.

If you have checked on the iPods summary page to sync checked songs only, only songs that have a checkmark next to them will be synced to the iPod.

When playing songs in iTuns, iTunes, will play only songs that are checked. So if you start playing a song that has no checkmark, when the song ends, it will go to first checked song that it finds and starts playing that one, then onto the next checked song.

Got a 30GB iPod Photo, got a 160GB Classic, 120GB Classic, got a 16GB white iPhone.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:37 PM

car
Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexonxonx
If it is set to auto sync, those songs even if they are not checked, will be synced to the iPod.

If you have checked on the iPods summary page to sync checked songs only, only songs that have a checkmark next to them will be synced to the iPod.

When playing songs in iTuns, iTunes, will play only songs that are checked. So if you start playing a song that has no checkmark, when the song ends, it will go to first checked song that it finds and starts playing that one, then onto the next checked song.
so if on the summary page its checked to syn checked songs only....it will sync all the checked songs every time i plug it in...so therefore it will technically be on the auto sync for all the checked songs...?
Old 01-03-2008, 05:43 PM

Reclined Lounger

Only those songs will be added to the iPod. When you add new songs to iTunes, they are automatically checked. When you sync the iPod again, those new songs will be added. Once the songs are on the iPod, they don't need to be added again so the won't be synced again. To get them off of the iPod, uncheck the songs and those songs wil be removed from the iPod.

Got a 30GB iPod Photo, got a 160GB Classic, 120GB Classic, got a 16GB white iPhone.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:49 PM

car
Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexonxonx
Only those songs will be added to the iPod. When you add new songs to iTunes, they are automatically checked. When you sync the iPod again, those new songs will be added. Once the songs are on the iPod, they don't need to be added again so the won't be synced again. To get them off of the iPod, uncheck the songs and those songs wil be removed from the iPod.

aaah thanks. Fantastic! Thank you for your patience! I feel really dumb. hahaha.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:44 PM

Veteran Lounger

I think setting your iPod to sync a selected playlist in the iPod's Music sync tab is a better option. Leave all the music checked and create one or more playlists for the music you want on the iPod. Select these playlists in the iPods music sync tab in iTunes. You should also adjust the sync settings in the video tabs as well if you have videos. You can then create a Playlist Folder named touch in iTunes adding all the playlists you want on the iPod to this folder. This folder can also be selected in the Music tab. Once you have a few playlists syncing to the iPod all you have to do is add and remove tracks from these playlists to manage the iPod.

I use a combination of this in iTunes keeping all my music checked to keep it playing properly in iTunes. I then uncheck TV Shows to checking only the episodes I want on the iPod.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 02-07-2013, 10:22 AM

Freshman Lounger

IQuestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkee View Post
I think setting your iPod to sync a selected playlist in the iPod's Music sync tab is a better option. Leave all the music checked and create one or more playlists for the music you want on the iPod. Select these playlists in the iPods music sync tab in iTunes. You should also adjust the sync settings in the video tabs as well if you have videos. You can then create a Playlist Folder named touch in iTunes adding all the playlists you want on the iPod to this folder. This folder can also be selected in the Music tab. Once you have a few playlists syncing to the iPod all you have to do is add and remove tracks from these playlists to manage the iPod.

I use a combination of this in iTunes keeping all my music checked to keep it playing properly in iTunes. I then uncheck TV Shows to checking only the episodes I want on the iPod.
For some reason my I Tunes does not check all new songs that are uploaded. And when I try to check them I can only do it one song at a time. This can be very lenghty. Is there a function to do a "checl all". I looked and haven't found?
HELP
Old 02-07-2013, 10:47 AM

Power Lounger

Hold down the control key (on Win PC) or the Comand Key (Mac) while you click one of the checkmarks to turn it on. This will turn on ALL check marks in the playlist you are looking at. If you are in you whole library, it will turn on the checkmarks on all the songs in your library.

Wasn't at my iTunes; a 10-second google was all I needed to remind me of the keys needed...may want to give google a try sometime

Win7/26392 songs/2516 Artists/2520 Albums -- 160Gb Classic/2G ATV
What's so great about the Barrier Reef? What's so fine about Art?
What's so good about a Good Times Van? When you're workin' on a broken. working on a broken,
Workin' on a broken man
Old 02-07-2013, 11:48 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Irons View Post
Hold down the control key (on Win PC) or the Comand Key (Mac) while you click one of the checkmarks to turn it on. This will turn on ALL check marks in the playlist you are looking at. If you are in you whole library, it will turn on the checkmarks on all the songs in your library.

Wasn't at my iTunes; a 10-second google was all I needed to remind me of the keys needed...may want to give google a try sometime
Thanks alote I will try that!

Topic: Check marks beside the songs in iTunes?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.