crashing during install

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

ak9237

does anyone know why certain programs i try to install download but when getting to installing package they crash, such as mobile chat and islots and im sure much more

DerekVOF

<sigh> Yes - I probably know why. You're most likely running out of space - before you go "But I've got like 5GB left!?!?", let me explain...

The iPod Touch has two partitions - the first partition contains the applications and the operating system and is FIXED at 300MB. The second partition contains your media (music, video, settings, etc.). So, what's happening most likely is that you're running into the 300MB barrier. What you need to do is move some of the stuff off the first partition onto the second partition and put a "symlink" in place (like a pointer or shortcut or alias). If you have MobileTerminal or Term-vt100 installed (or you can send a command via SSH), you can verify the space available by typing "df -h" at the command line.

Here's how you do it the easy way. Uninstall a couple applications. Then in Installer, add the following source - sleepers.net/iphonerepo - make sure you spell it correctly. Then install the BSD Subsystem (if you don't have it installed already) and the BossTool. Run the BossTool. At the very top you'll see an option to free memory. It'll tell you how much you have and what you can move to free it up (wallpaper, applications, etc.).

Now just a warning - this is a low-level patch so things can go wrong and you may have to jailbreak again. But it works a good 90+% of the time... And it's the easiest fix unless you want to type in a bunch of commands by hand...

Pass it on...

ak9237

uninstalled a bunch of large apps and no space is freeing and bosstool wont install. also if i get it to work how do i set a link to the apps?

BlackWolf

nym11 said:
uninstalled a bunch of large apps and no space is freeing and bosstool wont install. also if i get it to work how do i set a link to the apps?
sounds to me like your ipod is messed up.
via terminal or SSH or vt100 or whatever you have, send
df
to the ipod and see what it returns. if your first partition is >95% full its most likely that derek is right. if this is not the case, restore your ipod and jailbreak it again. the first time I jailbroke, my ipod, too, behaved very strange. some apps wouldnt work for no apparent reason and stuff.

I think its more likely you dont have any space left, but if you say you freed space and it still doesnt work I'd say just restore and see if it helps.