"Close" or "exit" Ipod Touch apps?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

paulcapewell

I have a few extra apps - MobileScrobbler for example - and am wondering how to 'close' a running app? I presume that all apps run in the background and therefore can eat up battery. Sometimes it would be useful to 'turn off' an app.

Is this possible without uninstalling it?

Shrimpy

Yes this is true that apps do run in the background, and simply hitting the "home" button will not close them, it basically just minimizes it in a way.

To fully close the app you need to hold the home button for about 5 seconds or so until it returns to the main springboard, meaning the app has closed.

paulcapewell

Ah, thanks for that. So when you're in an app and hold Home, it closes that particular app until you re-open it?

Thanks.

BlackWolf

unfortunatly, there's no "clean" way to end apps on the touch since apple designed it for the apps that come with it and they can run in the background without doing any harm.

if you have your touch jailbroken (and it seems like you do) you can install a program called "SysInfo" through the installer. this program shows you all processes running on your touch right now and you can kill the processes via SysInfo.

killing a process via SysInfo is the same as holding the home button (at least that's what I think). unfortunatly, this isn't a very clean/nice way to end processes, but it's the only way right now.

DerekVOF

I think that just "suspending" the applications allows the iPod Touch to use less battery and be more responsive. Of course, Apple also didn't probably expect people to be installing hundreds of applications :) I usually just suspend rather than Force Quit - doesn't seem to effect things one way or the other in my experience...

johnywhy

To fully close the app you need to hold the home button for about 5 seconds or so until it returns to the main springboard, meaning the app has closed.
this is not working for me. i have the most recent iPod touch, and most recent iOS (as of the date of this post).

when i hold the home button in email for 10+ seconds, nothing happens.

what should i do?

thanks

Last edited:

nick98338

I have a touch 4G. To "close" an app. I press the home button twice. The screen shows a row of icons at the bottom of the screen. I find the icon for the app I want to close, and press the icon for a full second. The icon (and all the others) change to an icon with a red minus sign, and all of the icons start to wiggle. I press the minus sign, on the icon of the app I want to close. The icon disappears. The app is no longer running.

keithnyc

I have a touch 4G. To "close" an app. I press the home button twice. The screen shows a row of icons at the bottom of the screen. I find the icon for the app I want to close, and press the icon for a full second. The icon (and all the others) change to an icon with a red minus sign, and all of the icons start to wiggle. I press the minus sign, on the icon of the app I want to close. The icon disappears. The app is no longer running.
Holy cow! :eek:Thanks Nick. I had no idea what those icons meant when I double pressed the home button and I didn't realize you could hold to select and get the minus sign (I just thought it was just a quick way to access the last few apps you had recently used). So that means those apps were constantly running in the background???? I had like 25 apps open! Is that why my battery was draining so fast? :eek::eek::eek::eek::confused::confused::confused:

anypats

According to Steve Jobs you never need to "close" an app unless you are having problems with the app. The apps are in a frozen state and do not affect battery life at all. That is why multitasking took so long to get to iOS - Apple wanted to make sure that it was done correctly and wouldn't cause a problem to your battery life.

keithnyc

thank you....

According to Steve Jobs you never need to "close" an app unless you are having problems with the app. The apps are in a frozen state and do not affect battery life at all. That is why multitasking took so long to get to iOS - Apple wanted to make sure that it was done correctly and wouldn't cause a problem to your battery life.
thanks for the info;)

inxis

i don't know much about apple products because I just had my first ipod recently.. but i think i have to disagree. upon exploring my itouch, i opened lots of applications and to close them, i just pressed the menu button. lately, when i open new applications, esp games, a warning gets displayed saying that my memory is low. it suggested me to close other running applications or restart my device. i don't know how to close them so i stumbled upon this page. :) if i am correct, the apps still run in background eating memory spaces and piling up processor load... i don't know much but more processor load means more battery loss right? enlighten me.. :)

rexemina

Thank nick

Thanks nick I had to register on this site just to say thankssssssss yu are blessed now my apps can exit...

steelrider

Works for me. Thanks

Works for me, Thanks. My ipod was running down really fast.

j238

Website
www.nowplayingnyc.com
It's really too bad there isn't a one-touch method to fully close an app. Plenty of Windows users don't know what's going on in their system tray and I'm sure there are iPhone and iPod Touch users who don't know what a background process is.

I'd like to listen to Pandora or WFMU while I use another app, but I certainly don't want every app I use to remain open while I use my iPod Touch.

Speaking of WFMU, a friend recently disrupted a film screening due to the background app. If it was fully closed by default, that would never have happened.

kornchild2002

The thing is that most apps aren't really running in the background. Some can perform small background updates (such as Mail or Facebook) but they don't consume large amounts of resources. Essentially most apps go into a paused state until they are re-opened. This isn't true multi-tasking like it is on Windows or Mac OS X, this is Apple's cutdown version. They cut it down so that large amounts of resources would not be consumed by background apps.

Ever since upgrading to iOS 4.1, I have never fully closed an app on either my 4G iPod touch or iPad 2. I had previously encountered bugs where Mail was constantly updating itself over wi-fi on my 4G iPod touch when it was in sleep mode but Apple stopped that with iOS 4.1. Either way, there really is no need to fully close an app on iOS since it isn't required especially under iOS 5 where all notifications are now giving at the top and won't interfere with anything else.

KaitWink

The thing I'm having issues with is that it won't let me tap the minus Sign and therefore I can't turn off apps.

kornchild2002

You are either not correctly pressing the minus sign or there is actually something wrong with iOS and you need to restore your iPod.