Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Touch to be discontinued?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-17-2007, 10:02 AM

Junior Lounger

Touch to be discontinued?

I don't know about where you are but here in the UK I hardly hear anything about the ipod touch anymore in favour of the iphone.

Plenty of adverts on the TV for the iphone. Nothing for the touch.

Is it on it's way out already??

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:44 PM

Power Lounger

wouldn't say that. but the iPhone is indeed an ipod touch with more functions build in AND it's more expensive. so why should apple show ads for both? the iphone is just apple's showpiece device at the moment.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:05 PM

Veteran Lounger

I agree with BlackWolf - in addition, the iPod Touch has already been tagged to be one of the best sellers this Christmas and Apple was running short on supplies of the iPod Touch. Why would Apple advertise and just frustrate possible customers?

Found on a Firewire cable - If you need to detain a burglar until the authorities arrive, this FireWire cable can render approximately three perpetrators immobile when properly hog-tied.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:06 PM

I have seen some advertisements for the iPod touch in the U.S. They focus on the iPod touch's internet connectivity, video playback, and music playback. The ads I see for the iPhone focus on making phone calls and surfing the internet. So the ads you see are tailored for a different target audience. It could be that the iPod touch is selling pretty well in the UK but the iPhone needs to be advertised as it isn't selling as hot.

The iPod touch isn't going anywhere as it is the future of iPods. Apple will more than likely switch to the design of the iPod touch for their full sized models. They just need to wait until capacities hit 32GB and 64GB.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 12-18-2007, 11:38 AM

Tennessee Lounger

The iPod touch is the Rolls Royce of mp3 players. It is not going anywhere. Last week I went to the dentist and showed off the touch. Everyone thought it was the iPhone. I believe a couple of women from the office will be getting a Christmas touch. People in my age group are not informed about the touch. And Knoxville has a Apple Store.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:54 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by westiedog
I believe a couple of women from the office will be getting a Christmas touch.
This is just screaming for a witty reply...
Old 12-18-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgb1975
This is just screaming for a witty reply...
Looks like it was just played ... well done!
Old 12-18-2007, 09:14 PM

ipod adviser

it's the same way that shuffle, nano, regular ipod will be discontinued? I don't think so. only different models will be brought with the same name. we will see more advanced ipod touch near the future.

16GB 2nd Gen. ipod touch, 8GB iphone 3G, 8GB first gen. ipod touch.

new Apple in-earphone, V-moda Vibe II, Ultimate ears Super fi 4v, iSkin Cerulean X1, Shure SE210

new 15-inch unibody Macbook Pro, Intel core2duo 24-inch iMac, new Apple LED 24-inch monitor, Sony Vaio VGN-NR180E (200GB HDD, core2duo) 15.4-inch wide screen.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:31 PM

Bob

Doubt it - the iPhone is just the flavour of the month here. Big push to try and get people to part with their cash on a one network only phone.

I'll stick with my iPod touch thank you....

Bob

Old 12-19-2007, 04:23 PM

Veteran Lounger

Oh, and don't forget that Apple makes a TON more off of the iPhone. In addition to the purchase price, they also get $18/month back from AT&T for all the iPhone users - so over the 2 year contract, they pocket another $432 or so... http://www.alleyinsider.com/2007/10/...-from-att.html

So, if you were Apple, which one would you push?

Found on a Firewire cable - If you need to detain a burglar until the authorities arrive, this FireWire cable can render approximately three perpetrators immobile when properly hog-tied.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekVOF
Oh, and don't forget that Apple makes a TON more off of the iPhone. In addition to the purchase price, they also get $18/month back from AT&T for all the iPhone users - so over the 2 year contract, they pocket another $432 or so... http://www.alleyinsider.com/2007/10/...-from-att.html

So, if you were Apple, which one would you push?
Well, considering that one carries the iPod name (no need to advertise really, people get it) while the other is a new product with a different name, I would think that the new product with a different name would need more advertisement. The iPod touch carries the iPod name so it is easily recognizable. The iPhone is still a relatively new product whose name is not as established as the iPod. That and as you said, the iPhone gives Apple much more money.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 12-19-2007, 06:32 PM

Veteran Lounger

Hahahahah... yeah, because no heard about the iPhone when it was introduced... was just in the NY Times, Newsweek, WSJ, Time Magazine, every computer or technology magazine from PC Computing to Popular Mechanics... Got more hits on Digg than anything else ever has -- broke the darn digg counter in fact, but no one heard about it...

Old 12-23-2007, 07:00 PM

Senior Lounger

I dont know about all u guys, but I have an iPod Touch and I cant imagine putting it up to my ear and talking into it. Its just so flat and not tactile. I am perfectly fine owning my sleek Motorola KRZR for my phone and my Touch as my PVP/MP3 player.

Topic: Touch to be discontinued?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.