Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: sleep/wake button not working

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 12-10-2007, 09:08 AM

Freshman Lounger

Red face sleep/wake button not working

Please help me !
Mi ipod touch does nothing when I press the sleep/wake button on the top. Not even when using it with the home button to reset it.
Everything elese works fine, I can connect it to itunes, I jailbreak it, installed apps, can connect through ssh.
Buy i just canīt shut it down with the sleep/wake button !!!!!!
Any ideas ?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:02 AM

Senior Lounger

Sounds like it's broken. The contact is physically broken would be my guess. Have you tried restoring it?
Old 12-10-2007, 11:11 AM

Veteran Lounger

Definitely should broken - doubt the restore would help.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:18 PM

Senior Lounger

yeah, I doubt it too, but at this point, it couldn't hurt.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:28 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldarn
yeah, I doubt it too, but at this point, it couldn't hurt.
Jailbreaking does wonders to your iPod. I don't reccommend doing it. I jailbroke mine (properly yes) and my wifi stopped working completely. First it worked then it was just slow and the next day it could see networks but could not connect to any of them (the same ones I was usign the day before) It was like that all day, then I restored it and the wifi instantly worked. My guess is whatever you did with your jailbreak and apps could have messed up your software where the button isnt recognized to do anything. The hardware is only what the software tells it to do, so it's possible that your stuff messed it up and the iPod no longer recognizes the sleep button to do that action. I would definately try a restore.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:56 PM

Veteran Lounger

I can see software possibly affecting Wi-Fi (although thousands of people are using it without hassle - myself included), but I seriously doubt that a jailbreak would adversely effect a physical button response like the sleep/wake button. Restore wouldn't hurt to try, but I'd say 99% chance it'll do nothing...

Found on a Firewire cable - If you need to detain a burglar until the authorities arrive, this FireWire cable can render approximately three perpetrators immobile when properly hog-tied.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:03 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekVOF
I can see software possibly affecting Wi-Fi (although thousands of people are using it without hassle - myself included), but I seriously doubt that a jailbreak would adversely effect a physical button response like the sleep/wake button. Restore wouldn't hurt to try, but I'd say 99% chance it'll do nothing...
Well that's not what I'm saying, it's not affected anything physical. It could have just changed (in the software) the action that the button does. For example, my laptop, like any other, has options on what the power button does (i.e goes to sleep, power off, or even do nothing) so that's what I mean is that possible the jailbreak and all the multiple apps he installed could have set some setting in the OS to have the sleep button do nothing. That's why I think a restore is definately worth a try.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:12 AM

Freshman Lounger

I am having the same issue. It started when I left the itouch in the car , it was cold out. The sleep/wake button was unresponsive. When I brought it inside it came back to life; but alas only for a short time. It will not work at all regardless of temperature. I guess I need to send it out for repair? Let me know if anyone else knows of a way to unstick it.
BTW I did not jailbreak it
Thanks
Old 02-06-2008, 03:44 PM

Freshman Lounger

Restore hasn't worked on my touch, any other options...apple shop? support?
Old 02-06-2008, 03:51 PM

Livin' & Lovin' in SoCal

Yeah go to the apple store, that the best bet at this point!

8gb iPhone 2G(retired to my closet) 16GB Touch 1G(still get use at the gym) 16GB iPhone 3G (with me everyday)
Old 02-06-2008, 04:21 PM

iPhone 3G Owner

My sleep/wake button got stuck inside.

I called Apple about it.

They gave me a new one for free because of the 1-year manufacturer's warranty.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:59 PM

Freshman Lounger

I had the same issue and had to take it back to Best Buy where they sent it for diagnostics and repair. They were so full of crap and it took 2 months to get it back. In other words, Best Buy sucks. Shoulda gone through Apple but didn't because I got the Best Buy extended warranty and thought it would be quicker. Oh how wrong I was.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:27 AM

Freshman Lounger

Solution :D

I accidentally fix mine when i dropped it on hard tile... but dont do that! luckily you already have jailbroken your ipod, otherwise i would have to type more T_T. okay.. so you want to open cydia, then go to search. in search type in Activator, and install it. once installed, go to your settings and look for the Activator. What Activator does, is it allows you to control you ipods functions with the home button. First tap on "Anywhere", then choose "double press" or "short hold", the others i dont recommend. and lastly select "Lock Device". Locking your device will only bring you to your lock screen (the screen with the slidy thingy), but once there, it will go to sleep mode by itself in a few seconds. You may notice that further down underneath the "lock Device" option is a "sleep button" option. Unfortuneately, you will take a screen shot because it copies what a sleep/wake button does with a normal home button click... (sleep/wake button + home button = screen shot) And that wont get you anywhere... i think this should help. GOOD LUCK
Old 06-10-2011, 02:35 PM

Freshman Lounger

Home Screen (Main) → General
General → Auto-lock
Auto-lock → 1 minute

This is a simple setting to accommodate the lack of a power/sleep button. If desired use involves a longer timeline before automatically sleeping, simply change the auto-lock time to "Never" or listed minute selection.
I am posting this because I suffered a similar issue and found no answers, subsequently leading to me searching on my own.
Hope this helps!
Old 02-20-2012, 05:32 PM

Freshman Lounger

okay, so i have the same problem except my ipod is disabled. so i can't unlock it, turn it off, or anything. i can't reset it or restore it. what should i do?

Topic: sleep/wake button not working

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.