Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: how to bypass screen lock

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-01-2007, 05:33 PM

Freshman Lounger

how to bypass screen lock

im on vacations for about 5 months and i cant hookmy touch upto my computer to bypass the screen lock and i forgot the code

does anyone know how to get by it?

if i go to a internet cafe and hook it up to a random computer is there anything i can do?
lmk please

thnx,
derek

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:26 PM

Reclined Lounger

The only thing I could think of is maybe try restoring it. However restore would likely erase your multimedia files and replace it with someone else's.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:22 PM

Freshman Lounger

how do you restore it? and it doesent really matter if i lose my media
Old 12-01-2007, 07:29 PM

Reclined Lounger

If iTunes react's with the Touch the same way it does with any other strange iPod's, you'll see a notice on their computer that says something to the effect of that being a strange iPod to that computer and it will ask you if you want to sync it anyway.. Tell it no.. Then go into the iPod menu in the source list and choose restore. However I'm not sure if this will bypass the screen lock.. But it's worth a shot since your locked out anyway.

I also just thought of something.. The iPod Touch initially had to be activated and somehow I get the feeling you'll probably have to reactivate it.. Maybe someone else knows the answer to this, but I have a hunch that when you initially activated your iPod, it got locked down to your account.. You may have to login to your iTunes account in order to re-activate your Touch.. Remember you would be doing this on a strange computer, so be sure you remember to log yourself back out if you have to do this. I just remember something in the news not all that long ago that Apple's been looking for ways to lock down iPod's to prevent theft and I'm thinking registering an iPod to your account is one of those measures.

Last edited by Phoenixfury; 12-01-2007 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:48 AM

Tennessee Lounger

Smile

Wow, you must be rich. I don't know anyone who could afford to vacation for 5 months. Since it seems like you a person of leisure buy a ticket to fly back home and get the code or just buy another iPod touch.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:59 AM

Freshman Lounger

im a travel advisor and i know all the tricks of the trade so what should cost me a 5 month vacation only costs me about 2 months
Old 12-02-2007, 08:16 PM

Junior Lounger

want to hook me up with a deal??

jk
Old 12-02-2007, 10:04 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious-D
how do you restore it? and it doesent really matter if i lose my media
Press and hold both the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:30 PM

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickwheel
Press and hold both the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.
That's not how you restore, that's how you restart. And before you bother to try, restarting your Touch will not bypass the screen lock.

Current iPods: iPhone 3G 8GB (Alive & Kicking), iPod Nano Chromatic 8GB (Alive & Kicking)
Previous iPods: iPod Touch Wk. 40 8GB (Stolen), iPod 4G 20GB (Stolen), iPod 1G 1GB Nano - Black (Stolen), iPod U2 Special Edition (Deceased)
Computer: Apple iMac 20", 4GB Memory, 500GB HD, ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256MB
Old 12-02-2007, 11:37 PM

Reclined Lounger

I think Clickwheel just might be one coffee cup shy of a full pot of java.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:55 PM

Veteran Lounger

Rather than jumping on clickwheel, maybe some one should (you know) actually tell rebellious-D how to restore then?

Here's a good guide that I found from the iPod Touch devs...

HOW TO RESTORE
- Make sure the phone/touch is on. The phone/touch must also be docked or plugged in to your USB cable.
- Press and hold the Power and Home buttons on the phone until the screen shuts off.
- Release the Power button immediately. Keep pressing the Home button.
- You should see a number of horizontal lines invade the now-off screen, and it will be slightly disturbing. If you just see just flat blackness turn your phone back on and try again.
- Your computer will recognize an "Apple Restore (DFU) Device". Open iTunes and it will complain about needing to restore.
- Now just restore and everything will be back to normal.

Found on a Firewire cable - If you need to detain a burglar until the authorities arrive, this FireWire cable can render approximately three perpetrators immobile when properly hog-tied.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:11 PM

Reclined Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekVOF
Rather than jumping on clickwheel, maybe some one should (you know) actually tell rebellious-D how to restore then?
I didn't think what I said would have been construed that way. I was just ribbing him because his comment would be something I'd say if I was making a late night post while being extremely sleepy. Yeah I was poking fun, but very lightly. I wouldn't think anyone would take offense to that.

Topic: how to bypass screen lock

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.