Can the iPod touch get viruses/spyware?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

dvdqnoc

So yea, the iPod Touch has Wi-Fi. Woo Hoo.

But can it get viruses and/or spyware on it?

For example, a lot of times when I look up songs lyrics on my computer internet, there are some dumb sites that have lots of pop-ups and ads and potential spyware or viruses as well.

My point is, can the iPod Touch get viruses/spyware like a computer can?

DerekVOF

Since the iPod Touch is based on Mac OS X it IS possible but like the Mac, it is pretty secure. Be careful but no need to be overly paranoid.

Ed2020

Does anyone know what kind of security measures the Touch has in it's operating system?

Although the Jailbreak hack is very cool it concerns me that this can be done so easily by visiting a web page. If it can then presumably it would be equally feasible for somebody to create pages that do something altogether less cool....?

Ed.

DerekVOF

Well the new firmware blocked that security hole - so much so that you have to downgrade to jailbreak and then put in software to keep that hole open for the latest firmware. Seems pretty secure.

Franc

Franc

Last week I replied to an inquiry regarding something I had for sale on Craig's list. I did not add that person info my contacts list. Now when I open a new message to send an e-mail in "mail" and I enter in the "To" line a "t" or an "a", his name "Trinity" and his e-mail address "[email protected]" is visible in the list of contacts with "a" or "t" names. His information is not in my contacts list so I can not delete it.
Does anybody know what has caused this? Is it a virus or spy-ware that is causing the irregularity. The i-Pod Touch works normally but I will erase all the data in the i-Pod, which is a pain, in case it is infected with spy-ware or a virus.

Sparkee

No worries Franc, it is not spyware or a virus but a "feature". When ever you send an email to someone not in your contacts the address is saved in a list for quick retrieval at a later time fo convenience. In Mail on Apple's OS 10 for computers they have a "Previous Recipients" list that can be used to manage these extra addresses. Unfortunately I do not see any option to clean this list out on my 1G touch running v3.1.3 software.

Franc

Franc

Thank you very much Sparkee for your information.
I do not understand how to delete the unwanted contact. As his information does not appear in my contacts list in the iPod touch do I have to delete the unwanted contact when the iPod touch is connected to my computer in iTunes? Thank you

Sparkee

As his information does not appear in my contacts list in the iPod touch do I have to delete the unwanted contact when the iPod touch is connected to my computer in iTunes? Thank you

Unfortunately I do not see any option to clean this list out on my 1G touch running v3.1.3 software.
As I stated above I see no way to delete this information. You can always try Restoring the touch but I would suspect this info is saved in the iPod back up so you would probably have to start fresh. Other than annoying, this info is harmless so I wouldn't worry too much about it. It would also be a guess but I would assume Apple has limited the length of this list and this contact will eventually disappear.

Rock7

I just recently bought and iPod touch 4th gen and I jailbroke it and it worked fine for a while and in a way still does, the only problem i have with it just started a few days ago, when I connect my iPod to my computer the computer crashes and cycles through restarting and crashing as soon as it recognizes my iPod. I made sure it wasn't the USB port or my iPod cable and came to the conclusion that there is something wrong with my iPod. Anyone know what could be the problem...virus maybe?

keithnyc

restore might help?

......and came to the conclusion that there is something wrong with my iPod. Anyone know what could be the problem...virus maybe?
:confused:

Don't you mean there is something wrong with your software modified iPod. If it's jailbroken, my understanding is that the warranty is voided now. Why don't you try re-installing the original operating system and seeing if the iPod no longer crashes your computer?
Best of luck

kornchild2002

Not a virus problem and it has nothing to do with malware, spyware, crapware, or any type of ware. Your computer is crashing because it is experiencing a hardware issue that stems from connecting your iPod. Something has happened with your iPod to cause these hardware problems. Likely, something you did either with the iPod or on the iPod (during or after the jailbreak process) is causing your computer to see it as being something different and making something happen (either hardware failure or a hardware conflict) thus causing the issue.

I suggest that you take the iPod to a different computer, restore it using the latest version of iTunes and iOS, and then take it back to your computer to see if anything has changed. You can also try completely uninstalling and re-installing iTunes, QuickTime, Apple Mobile Device Support, etc. Pretty much uninstall everything Apple related from your computer, download the iTunes+QuickTime bundle from Apple, and install that again.

kking007

My iPod Touch 4G might have a virus. One day my iPod crashed and wouldn't turn on and iTunes wouldn't recognise it when i tried to load the backup. I left it charging in case the battery just died. The next morning it turned back on but the battery was drained even though i left it charging. for a few days it worked fine but then weird stuff started happening. I tried downloading podcast but only a few minutes of a one hour podcast would get downloaded, the covers of albums wouldn't show up on the lock screen, and i could delete apps that were being updated or not downloaded yet but that went away after i turned off my iPod.

Is this a virus and how do i fix it?

kornchild2002

It's not a virus, period. Hook your iPod up to your computer and restore it with iTunes. This will erase absolutely everything on it but the process fixes the majority of iPod problems.

...Gorgeous

Notifications don't work on my iPod T.T

Ok for the past few days my ipod's Notifications haven't been working. ):< It's kinda annoying because I use a texting app & not knowing when some one texts you.. Ugh. (I'm a girl, Sue me). :shake: My brother jailbroke my iPod & things are fine. When I shut off my iPod & turn it back on, the Notifications work again.. Lol. Then it stops working /: :eek: I'm wondering if anyone has a solution to this... D: (I have an 4th generation, 32GB) Is it a virus?! :(

kornchild2002

Its not a virus! I know the Windows world (and even Linux, OS X, etc.) is filled with viruses, malware, spyware, etc. and it can be a cause of slow/wonky performance. That doesn't translate over to iOS though. Try restoring your iPod through iTunes. This will erase absolutely everything on it and get rid of anything done while jailbreaking but it would be the first step to fixing your iPod. You can then jailbreak it again.

Ankeet

My ipod touch 2nd gen

Its not a virus! I know the Windows world (and even Linux, OS X, etc.) is filled with viruses, malware, spyware, etc. and it can be a cause of slow/wonky performance. That doesn't translate over to iOS though. Try restoring your iPod through iTunes. This will erase absolutely everything on it and get rid of anything done while jailbreaking but it would be the first step to fixing your iPod. You can then jailbreak it again.
On my ipod touch 2nd gen i was playing gta chinatown wars then my ipod gets really hot so i turn it of and turn it on but it wont turn on

So what should i do