Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: itunes or computer won't recognize ipod touch

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 10-21-2007, 09:21 PM

Freshman Lounger

itunes or computer won't recognize ipod touch

hey there...I have the 8gb Ipod touch...it was working fine but now when i plug it in or start up itunes it won't recognize the ipod in both ITunes and also when I click on "My Computer"...I've restarted the computer, updated ITunes, restored the settings on the Ipod and even plugged in my old Ipod and it did recognize that one...I'm not really tech savy, so it could be a simple solution, but if anyone else has had this problem or might point me in the right direction that would be awesome...cheers

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:54 PM

Pro Lounger

this might help if you have not tryed all of it yet...

http://www.apple.com/support/ipodtou...ooting/itunes/
Old 10-21-2007, 10:13 PM

Freshman Lounger

thanks for the reply..i did go through those steps before coming here and went through them again just now and no luck...I think I might have messed something up playing around with 3rd party applications, so I erased all the data on my Ipod to see if that would help and no luck either...I'll keep trying things and if anyone else has any tips it would be greatly appreciated...thanks again
Old 10-21-2007, 11:49 PM

Pro Lounger

ah, you failed to mention about messing with 3rd party apps. you might try the hack and mod forum.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:16 AM

Freshman Lounger

yep...lessoned learned..if you are computer illiterate don't try messing with the thing...but got some help...just had to reboot ipod by holding down sleep and home at the same time, then take finger off of sleep and keep holding down home until screen comes up to connect it to Itunes and then it takes you through step by step to restore it...thanks for listening
Old 05-09-2009, 08:49 PM

Freshman Lounger

I had the exact same problem as oil17 did, but when I reset mine, it tells me that my itunes is out of date(considering I installed it today, I doubt this is true). Suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-10-2009, 10:53 PM

Freshman Lounger

I heard of a 3rd party software that allows you to put your ipod touch into disk mode like previous ipods and your ipod doesnt need to be jailbroken.

In previous ipods disk mode would allow your cpu to mount it as a normal HDD, where you could reformat it, erasing everything on it, and allow itunes to detect it and install the latest firmware.

Hopefully you have backups of your ipod if you plan on doing this
Old 05-18-2009, 10:31 PM

Freshman Lounger

this hook up pratically stopped my touch from being thrown in the dump it was MIA for about 6 months and i did everything possible to get a work but to no avail. Thanks plenty.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:39 PM

Freshman Lounger

itunes wont reconize ipod.

i just recently reaplaced the battery and when i hooke it up it turned on and said it had 10% so i plugged it into the computer to charge and the little lighting bolt wont show up. so i waited for it to die and when the huge battery with the little red line came up with the little lighting bolt under it witht the connect to power sign. so i connect it back to my computer and says its charging. plz help=]
Old 01-23-2010, 12:42 PM

Freshman Lounger

Itunes won't recognize Ipod touch

I've had this problem on two computers. Charging works, but itunes doesn't recognize the ipod.

In each case I threw away the itunes application from the computer, re-downloaded, and reinstalled. Library of information etc were left untouched.

Once this was done, everything worked just fine! I am now able to manipulate the contents of my ipod touch once again.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:45 PM

Freshman Lounger

i just got an ipod touch from a friend and when i turn it on it shows a pic saying to connect it to itunes. so i connected it to my computer and opened itunes but my computer or itunes doesn't recognize it. i re-downloaded, restarted and stuff but it still does the same thing. can anyone help me please!!!!!
Old 02-04-2011, 10:39 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil17 View Post
hey there...I have the 8gb Ipod touch...it was working fine but now when i plug it in or start up itunes it won't recognize the ipod in both ITunes and also when I click on "My Computer"...I've restarted the computer, updated ITunes, restored the settings on the Ipod and even plugged in my old Ipod and it did recognize that one...I'm not really tech savy, so it could be a simple solution, but if anyone else has had this problem or might point me in the right direction that would be awesome...cheers
Hey, I registered for this forum just to answer your question! I'm not sure if this is definitely your problem but the same thing was happening to me. I was trying to put music on my friends ipod touch at my house. But I have an old ipod nano and I think the cord is third party. I just grabbed my roommates iphone cable and it worked! It's probably just an incompatible cable. So use the one it came with or go buy a new one.

Hope this helps!
Old 06-04-2011, 12:38 AM

Freshman Lounger

haha.. =='

exactly have the same problem as u.. oil17

><.... help me to fix it..o.O?
Old 06-15-2011, 01:51 PM

Junior Lounger

You should try plugging your iPod into a different computer to see if it reads it. If it does, there is a fault with your PC, not your iPod. Try reformatting your PC and the problem should be resolved.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:53 PM

Freshman Lounger

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! I was about to throw my daughter's Ipod Touch in the trash and then I found this posting. I was able to restore it and she thinks I'm a hero!

Topic: itunes or computer won't recognize ipod touch

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.