Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Adobe Flash Player for iPod touch

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 09-29-2007, 02:20 PM

Freshman Lounger

Adobe Flash Player for iPod touch

Anyone have an update on this or when it will come out? I remember a while ago people were griping about the iphone not having flash player capability and they were going to release an update....

any word on ipod touch getting adobe flash player so i can actually view www.youtube.com?

Thanks for all the input..

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:28 PM

Pro Lounger

Unfortunately there are no plans and plans to hack the touch are increasingly difficult and we probably won't see it hacked.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:42 PM

Freshman Lounger

Yea i agree with the person above me. You will not see any updates on iPod touch regarding Flash Player. It will take a lot of time for Apple to do such thing if they even decide to have an update on flash player. So forget about the Flash Player for now. Youtube feature is great and no need for flash player in my opinion.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:47 PM

Junior Lounger

I think Apple really dropped the ball on Adobe's Flash in Safari. I mean right now the web is using Flash more and more, mainly because it's cross platform and it's guaranteed to look the same wherever you view it from. Heck even Sony managed to get it in the PSP.

C'mon Apple, if you're not gonna give us Java at least give us Flash! I want to watch Weebl and Bob on my iPod Touch :-(

My Stuff
2.0GHz C2D Macbook (OS X/Ubuntu 8.04) Black iPhone 3G 16GB 1.8GHz AMD Sempron (Win XP/Ubuntu 8.04)
My Bit of the Blagosphere
Old 09-29-2007, 04:49 PM

Pro Lounger

If you think about it, having flash on it would make things complicated. Think about all the flash games. How can the multitouch distinguish from you wanting to move the screen instead of clicking and dragging something in a flash game? It can't. Thats probably one of the main reasons why they arn't putting it in. Also what would they do if the flash content is a music player and it conflicts with the song that is currently playing? It would be messy.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:05 PM

Freshman Lounger

yeah, but IMO flash is still a necessity for surfing the web nowadays...for example...im big on fantasy football, and would love to have my touch sittin there while watching the game, but its no use because i cant launch stat tracker, because its FLASH!....god i really do think apple dropped the ball with the flash thing....

this is very disappointing.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:10 PM

Pro Lounger

Issues with games aside flash would be nice and it would add to the "full internet on an ipod" statement.
I don't think it would be any more messy than listening to music on your computer and navigating to a flash page with music. You can double tap the home button for music controls to pause you're music if you can't pause the flash music.
I'm thinking the main reason apple isn't doing it is because flash video content would really compete with itunes for video content. There's a lot of access to "free" copy written material out there in flv format, not so much m4v.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:23 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma
I'm thinking the main reason apple isn't doing it is because flash video content would really compete with itunes for video content. There's a lot of access to "free" copy written material out there in flv format, not so much m4v.
I agree. Once again greed gets in the way of innovation. I'm afraid I'm beginning to agree with the 'Apple Going Rotten' article

My Stuff
2.0GHz C2D Macbook (OS X/Ubuntu 8.04) Black iPhone 3G 16GB 1.8GHz AMD Sempron (Win XP/Ubuntu 8.04)
Old 09-29-2007, 05:30 PM

I think one of the reasons why Flash isn't incorporated into the iPod touch is it is a bit more complicated than people realize. Sony barely added Flash to the PSP but it is an old version of flash, it isn't any of the newer versions so newer websites won't properly load. I don't think it has anything to do with getting free videos off of the internet vs the iTunes Store. If that was the case then Apple would have locked Flash out of their full blown OSX/PC internet browsers. Video content on the internet is really only good for viewing and you have to be within a wi-fi network to do so. iTunes Store videos are much higher in quality and you can watch them anywhere.

I am thinking that Apple had some browsing issues with Flash on the iPod touch. For example, Flash adds really like to hijack your web view experience. You can simply move your mouse over them and the adds begin to play. There are also many other issues with Flash in that there seems to be a new version coming out once every year or so. That would mean that Apple would have to continually update the iPod touch to support newer versions of flash. The iPod touch would also have to differentiate between simple website viewing, flash games, and video playback due to processor loads. You don't want to open up a 640X480 flash video just to have to playback crappily and deplete your battery.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 09-29-2007, 06:43 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornchild2002
I think one of the reasons why Flash isn't incorporated into the iPod touch is it is a bit more complicated than people realize. Sony barely added Flash to the PSP but it is an old version of flash, it isn't any of the newer versions so newer websites won't properly load. I don't think it has anything to do with getting free videos off of the internet vs the iTunes Store. If that was the case then Apple would have locked Flash out of their full blown OSX/PC internet browsers. Video content on the internet is really only good for viewing and you have to be within a wi-fi network to do so. iTunes Store videos are much higher in quality and you can watch them anywhere.

I am thinking that Apple had some browsing issues with Flash on the iPod touch. For example, Flash adds really like to hijack your web view experience. You can simply move your mouse over them and the adds begin to play. There are also many other issues with Flash in that there seems to be a new version coming out once every year or so. That would mean that Apple would have to continually update the iPod touch to support newer versions of flash. The iPod touch would also have to differentiate between simple website viewing, flash games, and video playback due to processor loads. You don't want to open up a 640X480 flash video just to have to playback crappily and deplete your battery.
I agree that there would probably be some problems getting Flash to work properly on the iPod Touch, and I especially think that CPU usage would be a major problem.

But I think your argument that Apple would lock people out of using Flash on the Mac is flawed, if Apple intentionally tried to stop me using any program on my Mac which I wanted to use then I'd ditch it and go Linux all the way

My Stuff
Old 09-29-2007, 07:22 PM

Junior Lounger

The problem with Adobe Flash is two-fold:
  1. Though the iPod touch runs on a scaled version of OSX, it contains an ARM based processor, not an x86 or PPC based processor like on a desktop PC or Mac. This means that Adobe (and not Apple, because flash technologies are closed source and owned by Adobe) would need to write a version of the flash player specifically for the iPod touch/iPhone ARM processor. This means that Adobe would have to work closely with Apple (who would also need to hand over a large sum of money to Adobe) to develop a flash player. This means that either Apple or the consumer would need to absorb the cost of the new flash player; I doubt that Apple likes either option.

2. The memory and processing footprint of a full scale desktop-like Adobe Flash plug in is huge. The iPod touch simply lacks the memory and processor resources to properly run flash. Safari would likely become very unstable if Adobe attempted to run a version of flash for the iPod touch.
In short, we will likely never see Abode Flash on this generation of the iPod touch.

Last edited by bjack913; 09-29-2007 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:50 PM

Junior Lounger

Licensing an issue too

Mobile devices can use Flash Lite if the manufacturer licenses the tech and if it's a phone, the carrier does as well. I suspect that Apple will license this at some point just as they have native PDF support but there are support and bandwidth issues to work out first. Until then they won't pay for that license. At the same time they probably want to steer developers towards web-based work instead of giving them hope that their existing Flash stuff will work soon(er or later).
Old 09-30-2007, 06:38 AM

Junior Lounger

Where you're right is that it's not a simple matter of throwing the Flash 'OS X' plugin, in that the iPod is using an ARM CPU, wheras the Flash player binary is PowerPC and x86 only.

It took Adobe months to even port Flash OS X from PPC to x86. Remember this is a team with years of experience with both OS X and x86 code - but Flash contains CPU specific optimization, and increasingly GPU acceleration too.
(No criticism to the team - it's also very small and very focused).

Also, Flash is not Java - Apple can't implement their own and get it certified. Only Adobe writes the Flash player, and the SDK version lags years behind.

The BIG thing against Flash is that it provides a huge back door into the phone that Apple (and AT&T) wouldn't be able to control. IM? VNC? VOIP? All available as Flash apps. Then there's also the question of battery life - for instance, even JavaScript on the iPhone is restricted compared to desktop Safari (only runs for something like 5 mins on a given page, I think). Again, you have to consider how much code optimization they've probably done on this thing to give it a reasonable battery life.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:52 PM

Freshman Lounger

Adobe is making a flash player for iphone and iPod touch, I'm guessing it will be in the next update.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:01 PM

Registered iLounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcorntyson
Adobe is making a flash player for iphone and iPod touch, I'm guessing it will be in the next update.
I doubt it will be in an upcoming update or the next update. If it does come out it will be in the 3rd gen iPhone and iPod touch.

iPad 2 64GB Wifi / Switch Easy Cover Buddy / Black Smart Cover / iRest Lap Stand

Topic: Adobe Flash Player for iPod touch

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.