Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPod Touch will not show up in iTunes for Windows XP

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 09-28-2007, 02:33 PM

Freshman Lounger

iPod Touch will not show up in iTunes for Windows XP

Anyone have any suggested help beyond the lame instructions on Apple's support page. When we plug in the brand new Touch to our computer running Windows XP, we cannot get the Touch to show up in iTunes.

We have some experience in getting iPods to work on this computer. In other words:

Yes, we have the most recent version of iTunes.
Yes, we have tried the 5Rs (restart, reset, etc.).
Yes, our version of Windows is supposed to be adequate for the Touch (we do not have a 32-bit version).
Yes, we have tried the UBS ports in the back rather than in the front.
Yes, we have unplugged all of the other UBS devices.
Yes, the computer registers the Touch when we plug it in. iTunes even loads when we plug in the Touch, but the Touch itself never shows up in iTunes like our other iPods.

Yes, I am beginning to believe this is an intentional scheme by Apple to increase sales of Macs, which never seem to have these problems with new iPod versions.

Anyone else run into this problem and found the magic sequence to unlock iTunes with a Touch on a Windows compute? (We tried facing north and turning the keyboard three times counter-clockwise, as well as other rituals . . .)

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:49 PM

Freshman Lounger

(we do not have a 32-bit version) you have to have a 32-bit version of xp or vista itunes dont "work" under 64-bit versions
Old 09-29-2007, 08:48 AM

Freshman Lounger

we don't have the 64-bit version

Sorry, I got this confused on the original post. We have Windows XP Home with Service Pack 2 which is exactly what is posted on the Apple Specifications Page for the Touch. If you dig further on Apple Support, there is a chart with the following footnote on unsupported software:

1. This excludes Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, and 64-bit editions of Windows Vista.

I do not have any of these operating systems, yet iTunes still refuses to recognize my Touch.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:32 AM

Senior Lounger

do you get an error message or does it just not show up?
Old 09-29-2007, 02:22 PM

Freshman Lounger

No error message

No error message at all. I plug in the Touch. the computer beeps to acknoledge that something has been plugged in. iTunes will open. After that, instead of the Touch showing up on the left hand column like our other iPods, nothing. The synch iPod command remains blank and if you go to diagnostics in iTunes, it will give you an error on the iPod connection. Thus, no way to access the Touch.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:05 PM

Freshman Lounger

I am having this same problem!!!! I dont know what to do either I have tryed everything!! I even call the apple care hotline and they HUNG UP ON ME!!! Let me know if you find a solution for this...
Old 09-30-2007, 08:50 AM

Senior Lounger

How do you find out if you have a 32 bit rate version of xp?
Old 09-30-2007, 07:03 PM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Business
How do you find out if you have a 32 bit rate version of xp?

if you have to ask that most likely you are running 32 bit. but you can go under control panel>>system. and in that window it will tell you if you have 64 bit of XP or Vista
Old 09-30-2007, 07:31 PM

Reclined Lounger

Do you have the latest iTunes installed?
Old 09-30-2007, 07:53 PM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGrateful
Yes, we have the most recent version of iTunes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j5tar
Do you have the latest iTunes installed?
Did you read the first post?

| 16GB iPod touch | 30GB 5.5Gen iPod video | 2GB White iPod Nano | 4GB 1Gen iPod Mini | 4th Gen iPod Clickwheel | Apple Newton

|Dell Demension 2350 (Crashed-PC's Suck) | MacBook 13in 2.0GHz (When Leopard is release) |
Old 10-01-2007, 04:33 PM

Freshman Lounger

Okay well I spent about an hour on the phone with Apple trying to fix this problem. The guy I talked to seemed to have delt with this problem before. He tould me that Apple was getting numerous calls about the iPod touch not connecting with iTunes. So here is the solution that worked for me.

The first thing you must do it uninstall iTunes and Quicktime using the controll pannel, add/remove hardware, on your windows computer. Once you have uninstalled both of thoes programes go ahead and look for anything else that is Apple and uninstall them as well. There should be an Apple updater or driver that is very critical to uninstall, this was the cause of iTunes not recognizing the new iPod Touch. Next make shure you have the very latest update for Windows on your computer, you can check this on Microsofts web page. Finnaly once you are shure you have UNINSTALLED EVERYTHING that says Apple, iTunes, or Quick time restart your computer and MAKE SHURE THAT YOUR IPOD IS NOT CONNECTED TO YOUR COMPUTER. Then download the newest version of iTunes and install it. Once the installation is complete go ahead and connect the iPod Touch and everything should work.

I am not shure if this will work for everyone but in my situation it worked. I hope it helps some of you out there!!
Old 10-01-2007, 05:00 PM

Freshman Lounger

I had the same problem again and I had to install and uninstall itunes around 10 times. It would register on the computer that something is plugged in but then it wouldn't show up on itunes. Finally, I uninstalled itunes and installed it again, and this time I made sure that my security programs were all off. It finally worked after that, hope that helps.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:30 AM

Freshman Lounger

Angry ipod Touch will not show up in Itunes

Same problem. Followed same steps as Texas - no luck. I will hear a beep when connecting the ITouch - iTunes will open and then freeze. Task manager shows that the program is not responding. I let it sit for 10-15 minutes, no luck. Every time I reload iTunes with the iTouch attached - it freezes. Many reboots.

I have to use Task Manager to shut down iTunes. I have Windows XP on a less than 1-year old PC. (Velocity Micro Intel Duo Core).

Did several uninstalls and re-installs with no luck. My old iPod is recognized and will still sync by the way.

I uninstalled "everything Apple" from the control panel. When I reinstall - my library is intact. Is this correct - or do I have to delete the entire directory and reinstall my complete library ( I have it backed up). I hope I don't have to do this!!

I have an older PC with iTunes installed and the iTouch is recognized, but this library is out of date, and I don't want to spend the time updating\cleaning it up.

This is a major pain.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:28 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thumbs up Net Nanny was the Problem

My problem was finally solved. Net Nanny was preventing iTunes from recognizing the Touch. After about an hour on the phone with a couple of techs, we disabled all of the background programs, except Net Nanny which is designed to prevent that. The problem persisted, then I got the idea to shut down the Net Nanny, and bingo the Touch showed up and I was able to synch finally. I know this is a conflict with Net Nanny; I have no idea if other parental software creates a similar problem. Thanks for all of the back and forth, I hope this helps someone out.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:47 AM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGrateful
My problem was finally solved. Net Nanny was preventing iTunes from recognizing the Touch. After about an hour on the phone with a couple of techs, we disabled all of the background programs, except Net Nanny which is designed to prevent that. The problem persisted, then I got the idea to shut down the Net Nanny, and bingo the Touch showed up and I was able to synch finally. I know this is a conflict with Net Nanny; I have no idea if other parental software creates a similar problem. Thanks for all of the back and forth, I hope this helps someone out.

Thats an odd conflict, but a nice find.

Topic: iPod Touch will not show up in iTunes for Windows XP

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.