iPod Touch UK compared with iPhone Review - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPod Touch UK compared with iPhone Review

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-26-2007, 09:22 PM

Senior Lounger

iPod Touch UK compared with iPhone Review

I thought it might be interesting to let anyone in the UK know what I think of the new iPod versus the iPhone.

I bought a touch last week and today I got an unlocked iPhone from the US so I can make a fair comparison!

First of all I have a touch with a below par screen - I intend to replace it asap - and I can see that the iPhone screen is perfect. I have around 5 dead pixels on my touch as well as the negative black problem and my iPhone screen really looks good compared to the touch, so it will be interesting to compare a good touch screen to ipod screen.

I actually prefer the look and design on the touch to the phone - the touch feels much more noticibly thinner and smaller than the phone - in fact the phone if anything feels a bit "too" big to be a phone - when the iphone is updated and made smaller it will be much better!

That is not to say its a big phone - it is thinner than most phones -but the rounded edges make it feel strange in my hand. The recessed headphone socket (which I thought meant it was deeper than before - in fact what it means is the rounded case sticks out around it so only thin ended headphone connectors will fit) shows that well.

Whether the rounding was done for design purposes OR because that extra space was needed I do not know (maybe I should look for the iphone breakdown on ifixit.com).

As I experienced on my touch - safari is far and away the best browser for the internet - the main difference being that if I try to listen to a streaming link on the touch it does not work but on the iphone it starts playing! I think that is quite an important thing that Apple have decided not to work on the touch seeing as it is a media player!

Other than that the wi-fi music store is great - if you want to buy music- but also to identify songs you may randomly hear about and youtube can keep you entertained all night long on the touch and I am sure will on the iPhone too.

more to come...
Old 09-26-2007, 09:54 PM

Senior Lounger

Arhhhh I just wrote out twice as much and when I went to post it I was logged out!

So I will complete this later in the meantime any questions feel free to ask!
Old 09-26-2007, 11:27 PM

Freshman Lounger

i want to ask about the iphone from a phone perspective for a mo.
what network you using the iphone on and hows reception and data usage like obviously thinking of when you are out of range of wifi have you configured it to allow gprs etc, and hows call quality in comparison with an actual phone? now with bluetooth on the handset is the folder it stores recieved files in limited to a set size or could you use a bluetooth dongle and bluetooth your mp3s to the handset without needing wires if you were at a mates house for instance. Cheers
Old 09-27-2007, 12:59 AM

Senior Lounger

I am using O2 - the fact the iPhone will be out on that network is just a coincidence as I would have put my O2 sim in before that was annouced if I had an iPhone then!

First of all it ONLY seems to connect through EDGE - I am sure that there is more to it than that - but only the EDGE settings can be adjusted - if you enter them wrong then you cant use any data unless you have wi-fi around.

Other phones have more complicated settings and I imagine that more information about how it connects would be available if Apple didn't try and make the phone as easy to use as possible! I have no idea if it connects through GPRS if there is no EDGE around as my area seems to be in the O2 EDGE area! (only 30% of the country is right now so thats very lucky).

Having said that when I loaded google using EDGE it was so slow - I think using anything other than Wi-Fi would seem like torture!

I haven't made enough calls using it to make an assesment on quality yet but so far its not standing out as brilliant or bad its average - if I change my mind I will update you!

As far as Bluetooth goes - rubbish - you CANT send anything via BT to the iphone - no contacts, no songs, no files - NOTHING! All you can do is use a BT headset and even then I couldn't get the phone to dectect anything and nothing else with BT on I had was able to detect the phone (and YES BT was on and discoverable).

I may be wrong but I think if you want to use the BT Headset it better be the Apple one or it may not work!

Topic: iPod Touch UK compared with iPhone Review

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.