Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Anyway to have the backlight go out - but not lock, like in the classic models?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-23-2007, 11:39 PM

I Eat Ipods

Anyway to have the backlight go out - but not lock, like in the classic models?

Is there a way to have the back light go out but not lock it ? I only saw an auto lock option but I'd rather just the backlight go out and not lock during in car playing. Bc when it auto locks u have to slide to unlock which is a pain. Id rather be able to have the backlight just go out. Any way to do this ?

I want to be able to drive with IPOD in modified dock, choose my song, and I'd like the backlight to go out after 5 seconds, but the phone still not being locked. Is there a way to do that ?

Right now I have auto lock set to 5 minutes so I can still have access to the screen and change songs, or shuffle, but thats eating up the battery. I wish there was an option for backlight to go out after 10 seconds, but not lock.

Any help would be great.

I know you can hit the screen off button (top left) then double tap the home button, but then the screen still locks.

If I change the auto lock to never, then the screen will never go black, i'll have to hit the sleep button to shut the screen.

Any insight?

Joe

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:43 PM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pos_user
Is there a way to have the back light go out but not lock it ? I only saw an auto lock option but I'd rather just the backlight go out and not lock during in car playing. Bc when it auto locks u have to slide to unlock which is a pain. Id rather be able to have the backlight just go out. Any way to do this ?

I want to be able to drive with IPOD in modified dock, choose my song, and I'd like the backlight to go out after 5 seconds, but the phone still not being locked. Is there a way to do that ?

Right now I have auto lock set to 5 minutes so I can still have access to the screen and change songs, or shuffle, but thats eating up the battery. I wish there was an option for backlight to go out after 10 seconds, but not lock.

Any help would be great.

I know you can hit the screen off button (top left) then double tap the home button, but then the screen still locks.

If I change the auto lock to never, then the screen will never go black, i'll have to hit the sleep button to shut the screen.

Any insight?
Im confused. Do you have the iPod touch...or iPhone
Old 09-23-2007, 11:55 PM

I Eat Ipods

touch. ....

Joe
Old 10-11-2007, 09:24 PM

Freshman Lounger

The only way I have found to make the backlight go out without locking the iPod is by plugging my iPod Touch in the wall charger while using it. When plugged, the backlight goes off after about a minute, but the screen remains on and active (receives touch input), even when auto-lock is set in the preferences.

But as soon as I unplug the iPod, auto-lock kicks in.

I sure hope that Apple considers this to be a bug or missing feature and that it fixes it in a future firmware...

Pascal
Old 10-11-2007, 09:27 PM

Dim
Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pascal.bourque
The only way I have found to make the backlight go out without locking the iPod is by plugging my iPod Touch in the wall charger while using it. When plugged, the backlight goes off after about a minute, but the screen remains on and active (receives touch input), even when auto-lock is set in the preferences.

But as soon as I unplug the iPod, auto-lock kicks in.

I sure hope that Apple considers this to be a bug or missing feature and that it fixes it in a future firmware...

Pascal
The backlight doesn't go out, just dims.

Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" Intel 2.8GHz
Camera: Nikon D40x
Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)
Old 10-11-2007, 09:33 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dim
The backlight doesn't go out, just dims.
Indeed, this is what I meant to say, sorry for the confusion.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:59 PM

Pro Lounger

back light only dims about 15 sec before it locks. there is no back light/screen saver feature.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:22 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zardoz66
back light only dims about 15 sec before it locks. there is no back light/screen saver feature.
Unless you plug the iPod, in which case the backlight dims without auto-locking.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:33 PM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pascal.bourque
Unless you plug the iPod, in which case the backlight dims without auto-locking.

thats a given, and not very usefully to have it plugged in everywhere you go.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:28 AM

Freshman Lounger

Angry No, this does not exist, and IMHO deliberately!

I think apple has deliberately left this feature out, so that you will go and buy a remote control for it! An Apple remote control comes with four buttons, just like the IPod classic, and this allows you to do things like changing volume, or advancing, rewinding a song, even when the screen is locked. Just what you are looking for (and what I have been looking for).

So, if you REALLY need this feature, you need to buy a remote control for your IPod Touch.

Topic: Anyway to have the backlight go out - but not lock, like in the classic models?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.