Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPod Touch won't turn on

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 09-19-2007, 09:49 PM

Freshman Lounger

iPod Touch won't turn on

So today my iPod Touch 16GB was charging on my computer. And I took it off, and the screen went white. Then some purpleish lines appeared on screen, then it went black, then it shut off completely. And now it won't turn on, and my computer doesn't recognize it. Any ideas?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:51 PM

Pro Lounger

Did you try charging it? Maybe reset it (Press home and sleep/wake button for a few seconds)

| 16GB iPod touch | 30GB 5.5Gen iPod video | 2GB White iPod Nano | 4GB 1Gen iPod Mini | 4th Gen iPod Clickwheel | Apple Newton

|Dell Demension 2350 (Crashed-PC's Suck) | MacBook 13in 2.0GHz (When Leopard is release) |
Old 09-19-2007, 09:53 PM

Freshman Lounger

It was fully charged when this happened. And I have tried resetting it.

I might just take it back to best buy, but I want to make sure there's not something I can do first.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:56 PM

Pro Lounger

I don't know I would just take it to best buy. If it does not turn on they will give you a new one if not then at least you will find out how to turn it on. I would wait to see what other people say first, I have not even got mine yet so some other people could be more helpful than me. Hope you get it fixed

| 16GB iPod touch | 30GB 5.5Gen iPod video | 2GB White iPod Nano | 4GB 1Gen iPod Mini | 4th Gen iPod Clickwheel | Apple Newton

|Dell Demension 2350 (Crashed-PC's Suck) | MacBook 13in 2.0GHz (When Leopard is release) |
Old 02-27-2008, 08:16 AM

Freshman Lounger

me too

I just got the 32gig on valentine's day. Yesterday, I unplugged it from my PC and when I tried turning it on in my car it just wouldn't turn on...I'm going to best buy today to see what they can do...
Old 03-15-2008, 11:38 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytony
I just got the 32gig on valentine's day. Yesterday, I unplugged it from my PC and when I tried turning it on in my car it just wouldn't turn on...I'm going to best buy today to see what they can do...
And now me also! I've only had it for a week -- guess I'll be heading back to Best Buy also.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:23 AM

iPhone 3G Owner

Your iPod touch may have encountered hardware failure.

But don't worry, the iPod touch comes with a 1 year manufacturer's warranty.

The manufacturer's warranty covers hardware failure.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:26 AM

Freshman Lounger

Its BACK!

After searching for solutions, among other things, I finally tried the option "Press and hold both the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears." Wheeee... that worked.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:13 PM

Freshman Lounger

Mine worked great for the first 6 months, then started doing the same thing. Actually, it first stopped holding a charge for more than a day (unused), then the same problem as you guys started happening. Apple replaced it last week, but the new one is doing the same thing too. Arg. Holding the home and power button worked to restart it at first, but now that doesn't even wake it up. I'm going back there tonight.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:54 AM

Freshman Lounger

ipod touch won't turn on brute force solution

Here's an extreme brute force, if all else fails suggestion on waking up your dead ipod touch. You probably won't find this solution in the Apple help site.
my ipod touch died on me and I tried all the suggested variations of home button hold, on/off button hold, plug into computer, charge the battery, etc. Nothing worked. The itouch was completely dead and showing no life. Finally, in frustration, I whacked the back of it sharply against my knee, plugged it into my computer with itunes running, and presto, all was well. No need to restore firmware. I suspect there must be something loose inside, so it will be going back to Apple if it happens again. Hope this helps someone. Rob
Old 07-22-2008, 07:18 PM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by robh11
Here's an extreme brute force, if all else fails suggestion on waking up your dead ipod touch. You probably won't find this solution in the Apple help site.
my ipod touch died on me and I tried all the suggested variations of home button hold, on/off button hold, plug into computer, charge the battery, etc. Nothing worked. The itouch was completely dead and showing no life. Finally, in frustration, I whacked the back of it sharply against my knee, plugged it into my computer with itunes running, and presto, all was well. No need to restore firmware. I suspect there must be something loose inside, so it will be going back to Apple if it happens again. Hope this helps someone. Rob
this technique is at your own risk :P
Old 07-26-2008, 10:30 PM

Freshman Lounger

The home/power button-press did the job for me, too. Out of nowhere, my iPod Touch started giving me a black screen. I'd plug it into something, get a screen, but then if I pressed a button, it would just go black.

So, the hard reset worked. Wonder what caused it?

Odd...
Old 08-22-2008, 11:59 AM

Freshman Lounger

Same

I had to create an account just to hear from you...anwyays...

I had the same problem. Used it for less than 2 weeks. Charged it. White Screen. Dark Purple Lines with a shade of the apple in the middle. Then i tried Home/Sleep Button. Screen went Black....

Now its still black.

And whatever I try it doesnt turn on - seriously anyone facing the same problems. Cos i just bought the iPhone 2.0 softawre on it and if i send it to repair im afraid ill lossee all my setitngs.

Thanks anyone talk to me and inform me of latest news
Old 08-22-2008, 12:00 PM

Freshman Lounger

Also im leaving it be for 24 hours and drain the battery out and see if that works
Old 10-02-2008, 12:38 PM

Freshman Lounger

dead ipod touch

I also woke up top a dead touch 32 gig 2nd gen this morning. black screen. it was charged last night. tried charging tried reset tried applecare on the ohone and no luck. have to go in to apple store this weekend......sucks.

Topic: iPod Touch won't turn on

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.