Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Can i still hook up wifi with a wired router?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-15-2007, 03:05 PM

Freshman Lounger

Can i still hook up wifi with a wired router?

So if i have a cable modem with a wired router, will i still be able to hook wifi up with an itouch?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-15-2007, 03:24 PM

Anti-Fanboy.

If your router doesn't support wireless connectivity, then no. Does the router have an antenna coming out of it?
Old 09-15-2007, 03:28 PM

Freshman Lounger

yes it does. It is a wireless router however i had a hard time hooking it up. So i just made it wired. I am really not great when it comes to this type of stuff. So now that it's wired with an antenna, do i need to type in some sort of a password etc.? I don't have the box or disc etc anymore. I also hear rumors that if you don't type in the right password then that option disappears. I heard someone had that problem and was advised by apple support to reset the itouch but still, that password option didnt show up. would not show up.

I have not opened up my itouch yet. Just trying to get all the right info before i do. Thanks for any help. Greatly appreciated.

Last edited by rainet; 09-15-2007 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:31 PM

Junior Lounger

well you should setup your wireless router...should have came with an installation cd or something like that. if not, find the installation online through your manufacture.

iPod 4G 20GB White.[DECEASED]
iPod 5G 30GB White.[DECEASED]
iPod Touch 8GB.[DECEASED]
iPhone 8GB.[DECEASED]
Shure SE110. [09/14 Beaverton, OR]
Old 09-15-2007, 03:36 PM

Anti-Fanboy.

It should be easy enough. What I would recommend is going into the router and enabling wireless(Which by default is enabled) and giving it a password. What brand router is it? The most popular router address from my experience is http://192.168.2.1/. From there you should be able to change all the settings of your router. For security, definitely give it a password.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:36 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrNbOy503
well you should setup your wireless router...should have came with an installation cd or something like that. if not, find the installation online through your manufacture.
ok, i just found the cd for it. I put it in, but it's an instalation, telling me to unhook the router if it's already in etc. Do i need to install this all over again in order to get a password? It's been three years since i even hooked this up.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:38 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by yensed
It should be easy enough. What I would recommend is going into the router and enabling wireless(Which by default is enabled) and giving it a password. What brand router is it? The most popular router address from my experience is http://192.168.2.1/. From there you should be able to change all the settings of your router. For security, definitely give it a password.

it's a Belkin 54g router.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:39 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
For security, definitely give it a password.

So is this the password i use for the itouch wifi?
Old 09-15-2007, 03:43 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainet
ok, i just found the cd for it. I put it in, but it's an instalation, telling me to unhook the router if it's already in etc. Do i need to install this all over again in order to get a password? It's been three years since i even hooked this up.
Yeah unhook and install it like its your first time using it.

iPod 4G 20GB White.[DECEASED]
iPod 5G 30GB White.[DECEASED]
iPod Touch 8GB.[DECEASED]
iPhone 8GB.[DECEASED]
Shure SE110. [09/14 Beaverton, OR]
Old 09-15-2007, 03:44 PM

Anti-Fanboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainet
So is this the password i use for the itouch wifi?
Correct:-)
Old 09-16-2007, 08:11 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
If your router doesn't support wireless connectivity, then no. Does the router have an antenna coming out of it?
my router is wired. however, when my touch is connected via USB, and i go into wifi settings, it seems to recognize my network. however, the browser still does not work. can anyone explain this ? thanks.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:13 PM

Pro Lounger

Yes, in order to use any Wifi internet or Youtube or whatever feature that requires a internet connection, you must first use your unit and register your unit on iTunes, as in giving them the serial #, and it will be activated and work.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:42 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexis
Yes, in order to use any Wifi internet or Youtube or whatever feature that requires a internet connection, you must first use your unit and register your unit on iTunes, as in giving them the serial #, and it will be activated and work.
so it will work with a wired (through USB) connection ? i thought i already registered this morning...
Old 09-16-2007, 08:44 PM

Pro Lounger

Regarding USB, you cannot use the wifi while connected to USB.

Topic: Can i still hook up wifi with a wired router?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.