FAQ + Pros/Cons From an iPod Touch Owner - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: FAQ + Pros/Cons From an iPod Touch Owner

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 09-14-2007, 07:58 PM

Pro Lounger

FAQ + Pros/Cons From an iPod Touch Owner [NEW: iPhone vs. iPod Audio Quality]

Below are my own Pros and Cons to the unit as well as my own personally made FAQ. Any questions that are added to this thread will be edited into this main post and anything you'd like me to try to do with this unit or test that is within my ability. That does not include throwing the unit on the ground along with an iPhone and see which is more durable. Discussion is also permitted of course. If I am missing any pros, cons, or problems that you as an iPod touch noticed, feel free to fill in the gap and I will test and call up my friends as well to confirm. I will be updating this post nearly every day as I discover any new things or if anyone else has discovered any new things as well.

Pros
-Touchscreen, the best interface
-Sleek design
-More storage than iPhone
-Smaller form factor than iPhone
-Ahead of all other MP3 players

Cons
-Audio quality not as great as iPod 5.5G regardless of headphone type
-Video playback quality not that great because of black screen syndrome
-Photo viewing not as high quality
-Screen that is claimed to be as great as the iPhone is actually worse, once again, because of blacks
-Inability to add calendar events with iPod touch, but contacts can. (calendar events can be added with PC)
-High Price Point

Frequently Asked Questions:

Hardware
Q: How is the audio quality of the iPhone compared to the iPod Touch?
A: The iPhone does not have the hissing problem like the iPod Touch does, though the overall sound quality of the iPhone still pales in comparison with the 5.5G 30GB model. Background noise is more apparent on the iPhone than the iPod Touch. Overall the bass sounds better on the iPod touch as the iPhone's bass sounds more fuzzy and "background noisy". The treble on the iPod touch does sound noticibly better than the iPhone. When both are turned up to volumes of 50%, the iPhone does not have the hiss, but still has apparent background noise that compared to the hiss, I prefer the audio on the iPod Touch as the hissing is not as noticable as the iPhone's background noise. These results were tested with Shure's Sound Isolating headphones.

Q: Since it is a flash based hard drive, are the transfer and sync rates faster?
A: No, in fact the speed is about the same. An hour for about 13gigs of content.

Q: Is bluetooth included? Someone got a test unit with blue tooth indicated on it with an X.
A: No, bluetooth hardware is not there. The reason why it is an X is because the diagnostics is the same for iPhone.

Q: Even without the disk mode, can I still copy files from my computer onto the iPod Touch for storage?
A: No. The drive icon for the iPod touch does not show up in My Computer at all. Yes you can unplug the device without having to do the whole "Safe to Remove Hardware" thing on windows, but at the cost of not being able to use it as a storage device.

Q: Is it hacked yet?
A: No it is not, and we may not see it for probably a few months.

Q: Is the screen identical to the iPhone?
A: By the looks of both units, they look identical, but Video playback does have noticable differences along with pinching in and out with photos. The screen may perhaps be very closely related to the iPhone's but of a very slightly degraded quality.

Q: Do I have to charge the iPod Touch with USB 2.0? or does it work with 1.0 too?
A: Charging works with USB 2.0 or USB 1.1, it will NOT charge on USB 1.0 because it does not carry any power. USB 1.1 does have power, but it is low power, which means that if you try charging with USB 1.1, it will charge, but take much longer than if you plugged it into a USB 2.0. USB 2.0 is high power, so it will charge much faster.

Internet Browsing

Q: Can you listen to podcasts?
A: Unless you make it XML and make it into a QuickTime format, you can't.

Q: Can you view and save PDF?
A: You CAN view PDF, but you cannot save/download them.

Q: Can you use Flash?
A: Nope, and you cannot download plugin.

Q: I bought an iPod Touch but the YouTube feature doesn't work! Says I need to go with iTunes from internet connection, I've connected to itunes, but still doesn't work!
A: In order to use it, you must register your iPod Touch with iTunes.

Q: Can you download files to the iPod touch with Safari and/or save images from a web page?
A: Nope.

Q: Does other streaming video sites like Veoh work on it?
A: Nope.

Q: Does Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, etc work on it?
A: Yes it does, and it works swell.

Q: How is the web browser compared to the PSP? Any memory time out errors when loading big pages?
A: Browser is faster than the PSP and I have loaded entire image galleries with it and have not encountered any timeout errors because of memory.

Q: How is the speed of the iPod web browser campared to the iPhone?
iPod Touch appears to be faster loading by a split second.

Photo + Video Quality

Q: I've heard about the blacks being off and showing up negative, is this fixable by firmware?
A: Most likely no. Judging from a first person standpoint, it appears to definitely be something wrong with the hardware.

Q: Do all units have this problem?
A: Most likely yes, as not only many have posted about this problem, myself going out with friends to our nearest apple store and buying 6 units (2 8GB and 4 16GB), myself getting the 16GB, the video quality is identical in all three units.

Q: How is photo quality?
A: It looks fairly sharp and crisp, however if you pay close attention, you will notice that it does become kind of blocky when you are pinching in and out.

Audio Quality
Q: Does audio improve with different headphones?
A: Yes, but there it is still noticeably not as great as the 5.5G ipod.

Q: Is there really hissing and buzzing in the audio?
A: For my particular unit, hissing does start at 40% volume, and another person on the board discovered hissing at 50% volume.

Q: What about hooking it up to a stereo speaker? Does it reduce hiss and background noise?
A: No, the hissing occurs for my unit, still at 40% volume. My friend's units had hissing some at the 30% level, some at 45%, some at 50%. To be exact, there were 2 at the 30%, 3 at 45%, 1 at 50%. This is probably due to manufacturing and quality control since there really shouldn't be any differences in the hissing at all.

iTunes
Q: Is it possible to have separate libraries one for my current 5.5G iPod and one for iPod touch?
A: No. I havn't been able to do that at all, both devices share the same library. What this means, that you cannot fully sync your library with the iPod touch if it exceeds 16GBs. However, if it is smaller, than that you can.

Availibility
Q: Are any preorders online shipped yet?
A: No. Regardless of how early you ordered it, even if it was the first day that it was available on the site, it has not shipped yet. Those that have received units either bought it from the Apple store, or is a great reviewer such as PC Mag, that got their hands on one.

Q: Besides the Apple store, is it true Best Buy's have them?
A: A few of them have only recently recieved their stock. As of September 14, 2007, the following Best Buy's do not have them yet that I bothered to call.

Alabaster AL
Hoover AL
Lynchburg VA
Charlottesville VA
Brandermill VA
Chesterfield VA

Personal (Personal Opinion)
Q: How satisfied am I with my purchase?
A: I feel dissatisfied about the audio quality and the video quality, but I must admit, the ergonomics of the device are definitely top notch. Definitely well made for showing off. However, like everyone else, I am ticked off about the screen quality for videos in particular and don't think that this was worth the $400 I spent for it. Though I am hearing that there are people that have been getting flawless units, which makes me wonder if it has something to do with the batches shipped to particular stores. Rest assured, I will be exchanging or returning and waiting.

I do kind of regret getting it very early, but that is just because of the defective unit.

Q: If it's not worth the $400, then why does it cost so much?
Judging by the unit as a whole, I feel the money goes towards the ergonomics and design and has wireless capabilities. However, keep in mind that wireless is not very expensive to implement, which also supports the fact that the money must be going towards it.

Q: Should I sell my current 5G unit?
I highly recommend that you don't. For one thing, storage is great on the 5.5G, and also the audio quality is better than the iPod Touch.

Last edited by Complexis; 09-15-2007 at 03:02 AM.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:00 PM

Senior Lounger

Much appreciated mate
cheers.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:01 PM

Senior Lounger

Wow, all the ipods had the video problem? Im going to the 5th avenue store tomorrow to get an exchange because I also have the blacks video problem.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:04 PM

Senior Lounger

I am fairly certain that although you cannot download PDF's you can indeed view them as well as some other types of documents.

16 GIG iPod Touch 2G | Black 30 GIG iPod 5.5G | 20 GIG iPod 4G | Pink 4 GIG iPod Mini
Old 09-14-2007, 08:05 PM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNova
Wow, all the ipods had the video problem? Im going to the 5th avenue store tomorrow to get an exchange because I also have the blacks video problem.
Let's say it's possible but honestly this poster cannot make that broad of a statement. It's his opinion based on a group of units he saw. Other posters are saying they do not have the problem on here, Apple forums and marumors forums.

16 GIG iPod Touch 2G | Black 30 GIG iPod 5.5G | 20 GIG iPod 4G | Pink 4 GIG iPod Mini
Old 09-14-2007, 08:11 PM

Senior Lounger

i don't mind the issue of the video quality being not so great, but it's the hissing that's starting to concern me now. hissing at 40% or 50%... that's not good. i'm not a very good judge of what's good music quality and unless it's obviously bad... i'm usually satisfied with how things sound... so i'm wondering how noticeable this hiss is... i'm partly tempted to go to best buy after work is over in an hour but now i'm hesitating due to all the negative feedback.

Model: 16GB iPod Touch, 5G 30GB iPod (Black), 4GB iPod Nano (Red).
Earphones: Sony MDR-EX71SL (White) Crappy cord is deteriorating on me!
Songs on iPod: 1896
Videos: Three music videos...
Old 09-14-2007, 08:28 PM

Reclined Lounger

Well, if you buy it at Best Buy and are dissatisfied, you can return it for no charge, right?
Old 09-14-2007, 08:37 PM

Pro Lounger

Yeah, you can return it for no charge or exchange it.

Just to point out for anyone that is interested, I have added to the FAQ a comparison between iPhone and iPod touch sound quality.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:42 PM

Reclined Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexis

Just to point out for anyone that is interested, I have added to the FAQ a comparison between iPhone and iPod touch sound quality.
They would take it back even if the plastic covering was taken off?

Click the image to open in full size.

Macbook 1.83Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 60 GB HD l White 2GB iPod Nano
----------------------
299 songs l 1.5 days l 1.91 GB
Old 09-14-2007, 08:57 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for the comparison. This makes the decision even harder.

Just some questions: Neither iPhone's nor touch's audio quality are as bad as the iPod shuffle's, right? It has like the worst sound and hissing noises I've ever heard (with my etymotics, hiss is almost gone with the supplied earphones).

What's the different between hiss and background noise? We're not talking about crackling or popping noises, are we? (could use my LP player for that)

Also, using my etymotics the 5.5G does have some hissing, quite a bit actually at high volumes, but I can't hear it anymore with the music playing (not even in quiet songs). Is this the same case with the touch/iPhone?
Old 09-14-2007, 08:58 PM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexis

Also fix the part about the PDF's because people with touches have confirmed that Safari can open PDF's just not download them.

Also change the part about them all being damaged to state that it's your opinion and not fact.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:04 PM

Pro Lounger

Fixed and clarified. I never mentioned they were all in a damaged state. But there were clear audio quality issues and that was tested about 30 mins after time of purchase. About the issues, the units may not have been damaged at all, but then if that is not the case, than the quality control must've been horrible. It is not normal for 6 units to exhibit the same problems.

Last edited by Complexis; 09-14-2007 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:07 PM

Senior Lounger

It seems the issues with video and screen depend on which touch you get. It's not a problem with all of them....

SK
Old 09-14-2007, 10:29 PM

Senior Lounger

I am SHOCKED that from what you have said - we cannot download anything of any websites with Safari!

I download podcasts off certain sites on my phone and can listen to them on it but you are saying that won't work on the touch at all?

what happens if you click on a download link? can I suggest you attempt to download a podcast from http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/aud...cle2409051.ece
which is a podcast I like to listen to! Thanks.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:39 PM

Pro Lounger

I don't do any podcasting myself, but no, it does not work for me when I use the iPod Touch to try to listen to the podcast at the link you provided. It did not work at all. Only way would be to use PC or Mac and then transfer to your unit.

Topic: FAQ + Pros/Cons From an iPod Touch Owner

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.