Hissing Problems Worse than 5.5G iPod :( - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Hissing Problems Worse than 5.5G iPod :(

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-14-2007, 09:54 AM

Pro Lounger

Hissing Problems Worse than 5.5G iPod :(

Is it just me, or is the quality of the audio worse than the standard 5.5G ipod? I've noticed that there is more hissing and background noise when listening to a song on the Touch vs the 5.5G ipod. The hissing is not horrible to the point of not being able to listen to a song properly, but there is a noticeable difference in the audio quality between the two. I have tried attempted changing the EQ settings, and when matched against the identical EQ settings of the iPod 5.5G, sound quality always is a step down from the 5.5G model.

I had expected that since the new iPod Touch was Flash based, it would have higher audio quality since it can get data from the HD faster, but unfortunately for me, this is not the case. I got the 16GB model, and though the storage isn't as great as my 30GB, i was really hoping that everything else would be top notch too, but for me, this isn't the case. I am considering returning the unit after having just gotten it yesterday. This is a huge disappointment for me, and it has taught me never to buy a product at its initial release until all the bugs get worked out.

Last edited by Complexis; 09-14-2007 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:10 AM

Dim
Pro Lounger

Yep, the audio quality is less. Apparently they used a different DAC in the new lineup and it sounds worse.

Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" Intel 2.8GHz
Camera: Nikon D40x
Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)
Old 09-14-2007, 10:11 AM

Reclined Lounger

ilounge is also reporting that the Touch has inferior audio quality compared to the new Classic and Nano.

The bad news is just pouring in now.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:12 AM

Senior Lounger

wtf that's ridiculous, why would they do that on their EXPENSIVE, FLAGSHIP model?? I thought it was the other way around and the Classics were the one where they went 'cheap' and used a lesser audio codec?
Old 09-14-2007, 10:21 AM

Reclined Lounger

Wow this sucks. Now I'm rreally going to hold on to my money until November or December when Apple has got the issues with the iTouch and Classic worked out. The itouch 16GB priced at close to 400 dollar, should be freaking perfect. Now I'm really torn.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:22 AM

Pro Lounger

I don't know about any of the classics, but I do recall the classics having lock ups and audio problems posted by iLounge. I guess all the money goes towards paying for storage. In the case of the classics, the large HD, and the iPod Touch, the solid state drive. I am hoping that perhaps they have a firmware update that will be released soon, otherwise if it is a hardware problem, or if its just the way it is, I'm returning this unit.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:26 AM

Reclined Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexis
I don't know about any of the classics, but I do recall the classics having lock ups and audio problems posted by iLounge. I guess all the money goes towards paying for storage. In the case of the classics, the large HD, and the iPod Touch, the solid state drive. I am hoping that perhaps they have a firmware update that will be released soon, otherwise if it is a hardware problem, or if its just the way it is, I'm returning this unit.

If the hiss annoys you than you should return the unit and wait a few weeks or months until it's fixed. After all 400 dollars is a lot of money to be thrown at a device which you aren't 100% satisfied with.

I believe there were similar reports about the G5 when it came out. Has the issue been resolved?
Old 09-14-2007, 10:49 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner
ilounge is also reporting that the Touch has inferior audio quality compared to the new Classic and Nano.

The bad news is just pouring in now.
Is the iPhone's audio better, same as the Classic and Nano?
Old 09-14-2007, 10:56 AM

Dim
Pro Lounger

To me, everything from the iPhone and after has had worse sound quality than the iPod video.

Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" Intel 2.8GHz
Camera: Nikon D40x
Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)
Old 09-14-2007, 12:05 PM

Reclined Lounger

Getting great sound from a portable is more than just the DAC. The amp, interference from other components, etc...I doubt the DAC itself is significantly worse than in other iPod models.

Topic: Hissing Problems Worse than 5.5G iPod :(

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.