Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Size Of Typical Down-Loadable Movie

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-12-2007, 05:27 PM

Freshman Lounger

Size Of Typical Down-Loadable Movie

Much has been written on this Forum about the limited memory of the newly released iPod Touch. The majority of it has been helpful and for that I express my appreciation.

My decision-making process relative to the purchase of an iPod Touch vs. a Classic iPod revolves about the digital size of a typical down-loadable movie. Undoubtedly the proper response is that no such *typical* download exists so please be more specific. Unfortunately I cannot add specificity since I have no experience with iPod videos. I've perused the iTunes Web site in an attempt to answer my own question but in the absence of an iTunes account I'm unable to look in detail at actual file sizes.

Consequently, although a *typical* movie download may not exist, approximately what size may I expect to calculate if the 16 GB iPod Touch is far too small / just right for my needs.

Also, where (desktop computer, external hard drive, etc.) does one save a purchased movie from iTunes? Obvious the portable player regardless of its memory cannot be expected to hold each and every movie ths have been purchased. I ask since it's my understanding that DRM protection creates problems when attempting to move files. Must we actually delete files which have been legally purchased simply because the player's memory cannot hold everything we rightfully own?

Thanks!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:43 PM

Pro Lounger

Well, I know a lot of people told you this but it depends on the quality. But if I were to guess, a typical 2hr movie would probably be about 1GB, maybe a little less. About the iTunes question, when you download a movie from iTunes it puts that movie in the movie section of your library, I don't know if I answered your question but I hope I helped.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:45 PM

Reclined Lounger

Movies from the itunes store are around 1 gig each. Those are encoded at 640x480 (height varies if they are widescreen).
Old 09-12-2007, 06:37 PM

Freshman Lounger

Good answers Justblaize and a11324c. Thanks.

About my iTunes question, a11324c, you have provided much to resolving my uncertainty. But a couple of specifics yet remain --- you wrote that iTunes places the downloaded movies into its library section. I assume this library resides upon the computer used to download the movie and not the iPod. Correct?

To view the movie I then copy it from the computer to the iPod . . . correct again? Does this copying process remove it from the computer's iTunes library or is the file merely copied to the iPod while the original file remains upon the computer?

Now then, let's say that after I've viewed the movie on the iPod I don't have enough iPod memory to store the file within it. Am I able to copy this movie back to the computer for storage and then return it once again to the iPod when I wish to re-watch it? Is this for as many times as I wish or am I restricted on how frequently I can move a particular movie back and forth from the computer to the iPod for viewing?

Finally, in that I am involved in digital nature recordings with the same computer that holds the iTunes movie library, I cannot allow the movie library to fill with movies taking up precious memory need for ecological recordings. Will iTunes allow me to store my movies on an external hard drive so that in the future I may move any given movie back to the computer's iTunes movie library followed by a return to the iPod for reviewing?

Undoubtedly all of this will be self-evident once I actually experience iTunes at work but dealing with it in abstract theory makes it just as clear as mud!

Thanks again.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:55 PM

Reclined Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by viaeanguli
Good answers Justblaize and a11324c. Thanks.

About my iTunes question, a11324c, you have provided much to resolving my uncertainty. But a couple of specifics yet remain --- you wrote that iTunes places the downloaded movies into its library section. I assume this library resides upon the computer used to download the movie and not the iPod. Correct?

To view the movie I then copy it from the computer to the iPod . . . correct again? Does this copying process remove it from the computer's iTunes library or is the file merely copied to the iPod while the original file remains upon the computer?

Now then, let's say that after I've viewed the movie on the iPod I don't have enough iPod memory to store the file within it. Am I able to copy this movie back to the computer for storage and then return it once again to the iPod when I wish to re-watch it? Is this for as many times as I wish or am I restricted on how frequently I can move a particular movie back and forth from the computer to the iPod for viewing?

Finally, in that I am involved in digital nature recordings with the same computer that holds the iTunes movie library, I cannot allow the movie library to fill with movies taking up precious memory need for ecological recordings. Will iTunes allow me to store my movies on an external hard drive so that in the future I may move any given movie back to the computer's iTunes movie library followed by a return to the iPod for reviewing?

Undoubtedly all of this will be self-evident once I actually experience iTunes at work but dealing with it in abstract theory makes it just as clear as mud!

Thanks again.
1. If you're using a windows pc, your music/videos/movies downloaded from itunes will be located in your My Documents folder under My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music.

2. You are correct. When you transfer a movie or any music into your iPod, they will be copied onto your iPod, but the original file will remain in your computer as well.

3. When you want to remove a particular video from your iPod, simply go into iTunes, click on the icon for your iPod, select the video file you wish to remove, right click it and hit 'delete'. DO NOT remove it from your iTunes library, only your iPod. There is no limit as to how many times u can transfer it onto your iPod, but there is a limit as to how many iPods you can transfer it to.

4. Yes, you can store your iTunes purchased music and videos on an external hard drive.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:58 PM

Pro Lounger

^ Exactly what I would have said

Topic: Size Of Typical Down-Loadable Movie

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.