Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: What do I do if I forgot my iPod's passcode?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 05-02-2012, 09:28 PM

Freshman Lounger

Press the lock button on your iPod and click either the space key or the " 0 " key then press return and it should unlock. The same thing happened to me because I changed my password because my dad was going through mine.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:54 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshahan View Post
This worked excellent for me,

Plug in your iPod

Go to "My Computer"

Open your iPod's drive (F for me)

Make sure you can see all hidden folders (If you aren't sure go to Tools, Folder Options, View Tab, and check Show)

Open the folder "iPod_Control"

Open the folder called "Device"

Rename the file "_locked" to "_unlocked"

Hope this helped
I did everything up until the ipod control folder cause nothing was there!!
Old 05-18-2012, 02:19 AM

Freshman Lounger

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhollington View Post
Begin by going to your iTunes preferences (Edit->Preferences->Devices) and making sure you have a current backup. If you do not have a current backup, this process will result in you losing everything on your iPod.

Also ensure that all of your apps, music videos and so forth are already stored in iTunes. These are not backed up separately as you would normally just sync them back on in the same way you originally did. If you do not have your content in iTunes, it will be lost when you restore your iPod touch. Having your application data restored doesn't do you any good unless you actually have the Apps themselves.

The "Restore" option will erase everything on your iPod touch, returning it to factory defaults like it was when you first took it out of the box (hence the need to have a current backup).

Once it reboots following the system restore, iTunes will ask you to either set it up as a new iPod touch or restore from a previous backup. If you choose to restore from a previous backup, iTunes will copy all of your settings and application data back onto your iPod touch from that backup.

After the restore of the backup completes, the iPod touch will reboot again and then begin syncing your applications and media content (movies, videos, etc) from iTunes onto your iPod touch.

The process may take anywhere from 10-15 minutes to an hour or more depending on how much you normally have stored on your iPod touch, since everything will need to be copied back onto your device from iTunes. Once the process completes, your iPod touch will be in the same state it was before, except that there won't be a password on it -- instead it will prompt you to set a new one.
This did not work on mine i did the reset thing and the passcode was still on it!!!!!!
Old 05-18-2012, 02:34 AM

Freshman Lounger

AAAAARGH i have tried every advice/comment ect. on this thread or whatever and nothing has unlocked my ipod!!! >
Old 05-18-2012, 06:44 AM

Incessantly bumping this thread isn't going to help your cause. jhollington posted the proper solution for restoring an iPod touch (using iTunes) to get rid of the passcode (note that I said restore, not reset). You have to restore your iPod and then not sync it from a previous backup.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 01-07-2013, 02:12 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
... sigh ...

The lock/unlock file work around only works on non-iOS devices. If you have a non-iOS device it works, if you don't, clearly it doesn't.

If you have an iOS device you can A) dock the iPod to its "home" computer or B) restore it on any computer with a current enough version of iTunes.

These answers are in this thread, in other threads, and all over the web ad nauseam so why in the heck people keep asking is one of the great mysteries we need to solve as a species, because so long as people can use some of the most sophisticated technology ever devised to be so dense, we're pretty screwed as a species

Indeed!! lol

Last edited by vsparky; 01-07-2013 at 02:14 AM. Reason: wanted color and to add lol
Old 01-07-2013, 04:58 PM

Junior Lounger

How is this thread still going on?

-Neverfa11ing (iPod Hacker/Fixer)
Old 01-04-2014, 02:28 AM

Freshman Lounger

backup Notes, Calendar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Hollington View Post
iTunes should normally make a backup of your iPod touch each time you sync with your computer. You can check which backups are stored and when the last one was made by going into your iTunes Preferences and selecting the Devices tab.

As long as you have a relatively recent backup and all of your apps and music/video content is stored in your iTunes library, you can just restore the backup and re-sync your apps and music/video content once the restore completes. In fact, iTunes should prompt you automatically to select a backup or setup your iPod as a new device once the full system restore has completed and the iPod has rebooted.

If your apps are not stored in iTunes, you can try to transfer them back by using the "Transfer Purchases" option found on the File menu in iTunes. This will transfer any purchased content including apps, music and videos from your iPod touch back to your iTunes library. Note that content you've downloaded from sources other than the iTunes Store will not be transferred back using this option, however.
Great! So backup will ensure I don't lose my music & apps. But what about my Notes & Calendar entries? Those are very important to me too. (I have a 3rd gen. iPod Touch) Thanks in advance!
Old 01-04-2014, 09:31 PM

The backup is what contains the notes and calendar entries.

Music, and apps are not in the backup, they are in your iTunes library.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....

Topic: What do I do if I forgot my iPod's passcode?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.