ipod unrecognised by PC - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: ipod unrecognised by PC

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 06-03-2005, 07:13 AM

Freshman Lounger

ipod unrecognised by PC

So, when I first installed my shuffle/ipod on my windows ME machine, there were a few teething problems which I eventually managed to sort. After about a week of use, I started getting a system error about the drive being unreadable and corrupted...

"Windows was unable to save all the data for the file \Device\Harddisk2\DP(1)0-0+7\. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere."

So, I tried starting again on a new XP machine and it seems that the problem is still there in that it comes up as a removable Disk which when clicked on says it is corrupted and unreadable...

So the question is, any ideas or is my shuffle broken for ever? Can I right click the disk and format it via the system formatter rather than the ipod updater (which can't see the ipod anyway)...

I was given it as a present from the States and I live in the UK so taking it back is a bit of a problem....

I need help as I have been listening to the same music for over three weeks now and need a change!

Any help appreciated
Old 06-03-2005, 05:00 PM

The Humblest

Arrow

I had a similar problem...well, slightly different. iTunes would not recognize that the Shuffle was plugged in, and if I tried to run the Updater software it would just hang indefinitely during the detection process. After trying this on 3 different Windows machines with exactly the same result, I took it in to the Genius Bar...and wouldn't you know it, when he plugged it into his Powerbook it detected just fine. I asked him to do a restore, just to humor me, and that carried through fine. When I got the Shuffle home, my machine saw it as an iPod again just fine, and it has been fine since.

So, long story short, try finding somebody with a Mac and doing the restore on that machine...sometimes that (apparently) works!

Evan "Skwid" Langlinais
The Humblest Mollusk on the Net
4 Gb Nano 1G, 16 GB Black iPhone 3G
Old 06-07-2005, 10:50 PM

Freshman Lounger

Had the same problem with the updater. My problem was that I started the updater with the shuffle already plugged in (it would seem to hang while initializing and then give me a error message that the iPod was in use by another app). I unplugged the shuffle, restarted the updater, it initialized and instructed to then plug in the shuffle. After that I was able to restore and it work fine.

Topic: ipod unrecognised by PC

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.