Shuffle heats up (using usb extender cable)

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

shankar

Hi I have a pc with windows xp sp2, and have a usb extender cable (1.0 usb).

I notice that when I connect the shuffle to the usb extender cable and run itunes to d/l songs to the shuffle, and then (safely) unplug the shuffle from the usb extender cable, the shuffle is all heated up!

Can anyone please tell me why this is so and how to fix this?

Thanks!

-Shankar

thebrain

Website
www.iLounge.com
when its connected and its charging the battery it heats up. Mine does the same thing and I use an extention too. It doesnt do any damage or anything.

shankar

Hmm thanks for the reply. have you tried connecting the shuffle to the usb slot w/o the extender cable and then see if the shuffle heats up?

Shankar.

shankar

Thanks for the replies.

However, I'd like to know how much warm does it get? On a scale of 1-10 (10 = hot, 1=cool/normal).

Thanks again,

Regards, Shankar.

zip22

my ideas on the situattion:
the voltage needed to charge the battery is something like 3 volts. USB spec is 5 volts. inside the shuffle there is a step down voltage regulator to make the 5 volts 3 volts. this type of device puts out heat. also, all rechargeable betteries heat up when you charge them.

if your ipod shuffle starts to melt, then theres something wrong.
the heating up has nothing to do with the USB extender.
the issue of heating up has been brought up and discussed before, it is normal.

jakefans

Hmmm... so even the iPod Shuffle's battery can heat up. If it heats up like it's done with my 2g iPod, then that's potentially very worrisome. When I went shopping for a silicone iPod Shuffle case, one universal message in every pitch was that you could leave the case on while charging the shuffle. Now that has me thinking twice about it. Drat!