Charging the iPod Shuffle with Firewire AC Adapter? - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Charging the iPod Shuffle with Firewire AC Adapter?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 05-04-2005, 03:33 AM

Junior Lounger

Charging the iPod Shuffle with Firewire AC Adapter?

I have a 2nd Generation 10GB iPod. My wife has an iPod Shuffle. We are going to take a trip and we won't be bringing the laptop with us. But we do want to take both iPods and bring a way to charge them. We have not purchased an AC Adapter for the Shuffle yet but I'm wondering if I couldn't use some sort of Firewire to USB conversion cable to charge both (not at the same time) via the Firewire AC Adapter that came with the 2nd Gen iPod.

Assuming I could configure a cable, is the output voltage of the Apple Firewire AC Adapter appropriate for the Shuffle? If so, does anyone know of any such 6-pin Firewire to USB cable exists? If I have to build my own cable, does anyone have the necessary pin configurations for power and ground for each end?

Any and all help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Mark
Old 05-05-2005, 02:02 PM

Veteran Lounger

nope, firewire is 12v and usb is 5v
Old 05-08-2005, 10:57 PM

Freshman Lounger

I want to do the same thing

OK, so the voltages are different--BIG DEAL! Solder an appropriately-sized resistor in the cable to drop it to 5v. It would take a bit of experimenting, but not too much. All that's needed are the pinout points from the firewire to the USB, and maybe where to get *just* some solderable end plugs alone.
Does anyone know?
Old 05-09-2005, 11:56 AM

Veteran Lounger

piecing out the plugs and parts will likely be as expensive as buying a USB charger. if you already have some spare cables, then feel free to experiment all you want.

http://www.networktechinc.com/technote.html

it would probably be cheaper and more efficient to find a wall wort that did 5v at .5amps and convert the plug on the end. to charge, the shuffle has to have the data pins grounded.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:40 PM

Freshman Lounger

Hey, thanks for the link--just what I needed.
I agree with you, it's easier to use a spare 5v supply & graft a USB to the end.

Topic: Charging the iPod Shuffle with Firewire AC Adapter?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.