Multiple Playlists on Future Shuffles

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

gretagun

Do you think that the future shuffles will be able to support multiple playlists. I love the shuffle. I have contemplated buying a mini, but I just can't bring myself to do it, especially b/c I use my shuffle for hiking, biking and other physical activities and I like the fact that I hardly realize I have the thing with me. Currently, you can hit the "play" button 3 times to go back to the beginning of the shuffle's playlist, but wouldn't it be nice if this operation could take you to the next playlist? I listen mainly to live concert recordings and albums, so I just drag over the playlist for each show or album to my shuffle. It would be nice if I could just hit the "play" button 3 times whenever I want to go to the next playlist. Not complaining, just wishful dreaming:)

LazyiPoder

Truly Lazy Lounger
i would like to see that feature on a future iPod shuffle, but i can deal with the one playlist thing for now.

(i think this should be in the future ipods forum though :p)

hacp

What would make the shuffle better?

Multiple playlists
Repeat button
Lower price

dnd

I think your stepping on the toes of Shuffles bigger brothers

The Shuffle won't change because it can't without becoming one of the other iPods

More memory means a LCD screen is required to organise/select
More battery capacity is pointless if the playlist is small

However, I think that the iPod mini CAN be shrunk (nearer to Shuffle size) through the use of memory, rather than disk based, storage. #

This may threaten Shuffle sales however, so it may not happen.

One of the unique feature of Shuffles, however, is the excellent sound quality. No tone controls, for the minamilistic look, has forced the designers to make, IMO, the best headphone output stage of any MP3 player on the market...

Last edited:

hacp

I don't think the original poster said he wanted more memory. He just said he wanted playlist selection. I think that can be accomplished without needing a screen.

dnd

hacp said:
I don't think the original poster said he wanted more memory. He just said he wanted playlist selection. I think that can be accomplished without needing a screen.
:confused: - think you missed the point of my post

More memory was just one of many additional features, including the original posters wish for multiple playlists, I listed which, I feel, would muscle in on the Shuffles bigger brothers territory

hacp

Your post made no reference to the issue brought up by the creator of the topic. You said he was making suggestions that would bring the shuffle closer to the mini/regular ipods, then mentioned more memory and a screen. Greta made no mention of those features, so I think I was justified in saying that your post was kinda irrelavant. And additional playlist support does not have to resort to a screen. You can have buttons that say playlist 1/2/3 etc, which would be pretty convenient.

Maybe this post does belong in the future ipods forum :).

gretagun

I was just throwing my 2 cents out there about what I'd like to see in the shuffle. I was just basically stating it would be nice the have the hit play 3 times function switch to the next playlist, if multiple playlists could be supported. No need for a screen, I like it the way it is. I am also sorry for posting this in the wrong forum. How do I go about moving this to the correct forum? Do I need to contact a moderator? Thanks

Last edited:

ciprol

In a year or two, iPod mini would also be flash RAM based. Unless people's ears get better and really need those 320bit AAC files, I can't see how iPod mini can stay as a HD based unit.

hacp

Unless 2+ GB flash memory go down drastically in price, I don't see the mini being flash based. Also, they are making smaller hard drives. I think Hitachi or Toshiba is comming out with new .85 hard drives that store 6gb by the end of 2006. That would allow the mini to become smaller without resorting to flash memory.

LazyiPoder

Truly Lazy Lounger
hacp said:
Unless 2+ GB flash memory go down drastically in price, I don't see the mini being flash based
i agree. that won't happen. but i do think the iPod Mini's hard drive space will increase over time. I heard about Hitachi's new .85" HDD. I also heard that more currently, they are making an 8-10GB 1" micro HDD slated to be dished out by the second half of 2005. iPod Mini 3G by Christmas time? ;)

kenGR

Even 120 songs on my 512MB shuffle are more than enough to create a need for playlists.

Τhe new album you just bought, music for the gym, music before you go to bed... my ipod can hold all this music, but i can't mix all the moods of a day into just one.

Support for just a few playlists should be easy for ipod shuffle to handle, and definitely very helpful.