Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Why the Shuffle

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 04-23-2005, 12:27 PM

Freshman Lounger

Why the Shuffle

I was just wondering if I was missing something. Why would somebody want a Shuffle? I have a 4G and have no problem using it with an armband while jogging or a belt clip while lifting etc. I can't figure out why someone would want to pay the same (or close to the same price) as other mp3 players and not be able to control what songs you listen to.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 04-23-2005, 12:39 PM

Veteran Lounger

if you look at other prices its actually cheaper. its also the smallest mp3 player available, and many claim it has better sound quality than the regular ipods. its the perfect simple, clean, portable playlist. you also do have some degree of control over which songs you want to listen to via the next and back buttons. and you can listen to your songs in order, not just shuffled. its not for everyone, though.

if you had one, you would realize just how big your regular ipod was.

Last edited by zip22; 04-23-2005 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:50 PM

Pro Lounger

Actually, I use mine at the gym. The 40gb is too big for me and I am moving around too much. I never thought I would use it outside the gym, but I now transfer smaller files from my pc to my mac or from my work pc to my mac, school to my mac...etc. It's become quite handy.

"Ambiguity succeeds where honesty dares not venture." Dogbert
Old 04-23-2005, 01:50 PM

Junior Lounger

I use my shuffle for running because it's significantly smaller and lighter than my mini. The shuffle may only hold a single playlist but you can still control it to move back and forth through the playlist. I just load my shuffle with my favorite songs so I never care what song comes up next.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:33 PM

Freshman Lounger

I like it

saiguanas,

I was the same way. I couldn't comprehend why someone would by the Shuffle. I must admit, curiousity got the best of me yesterday. I went out and bought one. It's really great for working outside, like cutting the grass, sitting in bed. It's perfect for those times, I don't want to sacrifice my mini. I like the fact that I can use it as a flash drive for work documents and presentations. The sound is also better than my mini. I'm glad I bought.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:58 PM

~tl

It's nice and small to carry around, and is perfect for school, because I never listen to all of my library anyway, so just having a random selection of my favourite songs is brilliant. It's also slightly less to worry about, because it's less likely to break, and even if it did, it's less of an investment.

TOM
Old 04-23-2005, 08:21 PM

Reclined Lounger

1) Beautiful and sleek design
2) Light to carry around
3) Superb sound quality
4) Support both MAC and PC (I am using both)
5) Easy control
6) Can be use as a lanyard
7) Come with many accessories
8) Its an Apple product, which mean quality product
9) Support by my favourite desktop media player - iTunes
10) Its in my favourite - white color

Windows XP SP2 | Mac OSX 10.4.4 | Mac mini 1.5GHZ | iBook G4 12"| iPod gen 3 20GB | iPod shuffle 1GB | iPod gen 5 30GB | iPod nano 2GB | Creative muVo 128MB | Creative Jukebox 6GB | Sony MDR71SL in-ear headphone | harman/kardon SoundSticks | iPod socks | IPs dock | IPs battery pack | iPod Universal Dock | iPod Radio Remote
Old 04-23-2005, 08:23 PM

I didn't quite get it myself until I saw one in person. They are amazing in the size and portability phases.

It all depends on how much control and knowledge you need while using it. I wouldn't mind not seeing on the screen what was playing at the moment and since I spend most of my time in shuffle anyway...

Not so bad to keep life random, but one would have to do their research. There are similar priced options with more features (i.e. Screen ), if that's what someone wants.

It's not for everyone, but it must hit it right somewhere.

Stu

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 04-25-2005, 11:49 AM

Senior Lounger

Just to reply to zip22
The prices for the shuffle match other players mb for mb, so it isnt cheaper. For example, the muvo tx.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:45 PM

Freshman Lounger

Because I was in the market for a flash USB drive.

Even a Lexar or similar crappy 256MB flash drive is gonna run you $40-50 before rebates (which never arrive!) etc. A 1GB flahs drive is considerably more, so I just decided to combine my need for a flash drive for transferring files at work, and my love of iPods, and get a shuffle.

Still haven't figure out a way to justify buying a shuffle off a PO# through work yet
Old 04-25-2005, 06:22 PM

Junior Lounger

Yeah when I first saw the shuffle I was like, "Hey that's cool, but I probably wouldn't use it." However, now that I do have it I love it. Just the size of it makes it perfect for quick runs to the store or other errands.

I also have a 4G 20gig and I actually end up using the shuffle more when I go to school. I still luv my 4g and still use it for podcast and long days at work.

QOTD:[Can I cut the hair off your donkey?]
Old 04-25-2005, 11:12 PM

Junior Lounger

Because HD players still suck in too many ways for my liking. Because I've been meaning to get a flash drive. Because the shuffle is the only flash player I've seen that has the friggin connector builtin and has a rechargable battery builtin.

When HD players mature enough, then I'll pick one up, but I'll still have my small mp3 player/flash drive on my keychain or in my pocket due to its usefulness.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:12 PM

Freshman Lounger

I love my ipod shuffle. I like my cds and my car has a cd player, plus songs played on my stereos cd player, rather than through the AUX linkup i have to the pc, sound so much better. therefore i have no need for one of the larger ipods, however the shuffle is brilliant for when im on foot and not in the flat.

over 8 hrs music is more than enough!

the shuffle has been a worthwhile investment!
Old 04-26-2005, 08:35 AM

Freshman Lounger

I bought my shuffle to replace my old Nike-Philips psa128. The psa128 was 2 years old, and started acting up. I had the BestBuy Product Replacement Plan for it, so I sent it in and got a voucher for the original purchase price plus tax. I pretty much only used the psa128 for working out, and I only really used the display to check the battery level. So, since purchasing an iMac in January (I'm a switcher), I was eager to get an iPod. I have concerns about HD-based players, in that I just don't see them being as durable as flash-based players, so that kindof ruled out the regular iPods. Also, I don't have a need to carry my entire music collection around with me. Based on my experience with the psa128, I knew the iPs would do exactly what I wanted it to do. I don't care about it not having a screen...I just fill it with stuff I like and put it in shuffle mode. My old psa128 would only play in order, and since the software was lousy, I ended up listening to the same sequence of songs over and over and over. The great part about the shuffle upgrade was that it cost less than the psa128 (when new) and has 8x the memory capacity. I couldn't be happier...I listen to it a lot more than I did my psa128. If you fill it with music you like, there's really no need for a display to tell you the song title. Also, I usually use my ears to determine what volume level I want, so I don't need a little graphic meter for that either. Battery level....just push the button and look at the light, it lasts so long that it really shouldn't be a problem unless you're not near a computer or outlet for a really long time.

Its a great player for physical activity. If that's what you want a player for, the shuffle will do just fine. I have CD changers in my cars, as well as XM at home and in my car, so the bigger iPods just aren't much of a want for me.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:49 AM

Why are you reading this?

I use my shuffle for when I'm running, doing yardwork. ect. ect. ect.
Just stuff I dont want to use my normal ipod for.

5G iPod video
8gb iPhone
Ultimate Ears SuperFi.3
20" 2.4GHZ C2D iMac
Dell E1505 1.73GHZ Core Duo

Topic: Why the Shuffle

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.