Possible to delete Tracks on PC and keep them on the shuffle?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

jraggio

From my testing it appears that there is no way to delete Tracks on my PC and keep them on the shuffle. My test has nothing to do with using multiple PCs. If I put a track on my shuffle from the PC and then delete the the track from the PC it is immediately removed from the shuffle if it is docked. I find that it is also removed from the shuffle the next time I dock it if it was not docked when the file was removed from the PC.

I read many threads about full size iPods and configuring them to manually sync etc. I have not seen anything regarding this behavior on the shuffle.

It looks like there is no way around this unless I am missing something.

Can it be done?

Thanks
John

jraggio

35 Reads and not one answer? Come on fellow shufflers...

I really hope that there is a way to do this, but it doesn't look good. I've tried different combinations of checks in the autofill seciton of the screen, but nothing worked. The worst part is everything I read says that you have to click autofill to force iTunes to update the shuffle. This is true when you are filling it, but it has no problems with deleting any or all tracks from the shuffle that it no longer finds in iTunes.

I am right to say that you can configure iTunes to manually sync (add/delete) tracks to a full sized pod, right?

Thanks,
John

niknah

* File -> add folder to library -> pick the ipod drive(you may need to enable disk usage)
now you've got 2 copies of each song in your library.
* add the 2nd one of each to your ipod(the one that's on the ipod drive).
* now you can remove your hard disk files.
When the ipod syncs, it should sync to itself.

but really, it's good to keep a backup of songs on the hard drive, hard disk space is <$1 per gig.

jraggio

Pretty sneaky. I also agree about the hard drive space. This is something that I can avoid for sure, I was just caught off guard by this behavior since it really didn't make sense.

I was looking for the equivalent of manual sync used for the bigger iPods. It's sort of annoying to me that the sync for the shuffle is not automatic when putting songs onto it, but it will automatically delete songs. I have to click the "autofill" button to start the process, but the delte happened all by itself.

Thanks
John

jraggio

jraggio said:
Pretty sneaky. I also agree about the hard drive space. This is something that I can avoid for sure, I was just caught off guard by this behavior since it really didn't make sense.

I was looking for the equivalent of manual sync used for the bigger iPods. It's sort of annoying to me that the sync for the shuffle is not automatic when putting songs onto it, but it will automatically delete songs. I have to click the "autofill" button to start the process, but the delte happened all by itself.

Thanks
John
I forgot all about this and it happened to me again. Is there a way around it other than what was suggested above? This seems really dumb the way it is now. Then again I am pretty dumb for letting it happen again ;-(

Anyone else come up against this?

Thanks,
John

grs1959

Even if you don't want to maintain a large library of music on your computer, is it REALLY too much to ask to simply leave the songs that are on your shuffle in your library until you are ready to delete them???