Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPod Shuffle Not Playing All Songs?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 03-15-2005, 03:10 AM

Freshman Lounger

iPod Shuffle Not Playing All Songs?

First Post and I have a problem:

I have a new iPod Shuffle that I Love!! However I noticed a strange thing happening and since I have only had it a week this is new to me. It does not seem to play all the songs that are loaded on it. I have it set to play in order and not shuffle mode and I even checked through Windows Explorer to make sure the songs are on it and they are there. However it will just not play certain songs. I restored the player three times and it still skips different songs each time. Also, once it had songs loaded on it, but never played them. It was as if it was blank. I also noticed that when you get to where the missing song should be, it will not skip back. When you hit previous track it keeps playing that same song and you have to hit previous a few times to get it to jump back a song. Any ideas? I tried different groups of songs so I know it is not the tracks themselves, plus they play through iTunes fine. I might be exchanging it? I just hate to have to wait a month for a new one again though. Oh well. I hope someone has an idea?

Thanks,

Tom

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-18-2005, 01:14 AM

Freshman Lounger

I went ahead and contacted Apple Tech Support, and the gentleman there suggested doing an exchange, because the songs I was trying to play do meet the requirements and the Shuffle should play them fine. He mentioned it might be the way they were encoded, but then it played the same songs sometime, and would not play them other times so he agreed that was not the reason then. It might be some type of defect.

I did do other testing and all AAC files played fine. The only issue I had was with MP3 files encoded with WMP 10 or Musicmatch Jukebox. I hope this helps others if they experience a similiar issue.

I should have my new Shuffle by next week and I cannot wait!! Wish me Luck this one will play all the files I am sure it will!!
Old 03-24-2005, 12:11 AM

Freshman Lounger

Just wondering, how many songs did it skip over, on average. I just tested my shuffle, and (while my counting may be off), I seem to have missed about 10-15 songs. Again, it may have been my imagination, and track skipping was fast (most of the time).
Old 03-24-2005, 08:56 AM

Freshman Lounger

It would skip a song here and there, and if I would take those songs off and reload them back on then it would all of a sudden play them so it was weird. So I had maybe 80 songs on there and it would skip 5 or 6 randomly. I have all my music encoded at a high rate of 320k MP3. If iTunes did the encoding though it would play those fine and songs at a lower rate like 128k or 192k seemeed to all play fine to. I have a new one now and it did the same thing, but not as bad so it may be a Shuffle firmware limitation on high bitrate MP3s not enocoded by iTunes. Apple Tech Support did not have an answer as to why that happens since 320 k MP3s are supported by the firmware, it may be like the AAC issue where it wont play AACs encoded by a program other than iTunes. I decided to keep my second one because when I load it randomly I am not always sure what is on there anyways. If I really want to load it and play a whole album straight through I either make sure they are there by testing it or I will have it re-encode to 128k AAC and those always play fine.

Just some info for you so you might be right with your count. All in all I still Love my Shuffle for working out, etc Plus my 3G 40 GB I have for all other times

Enjoy your Shuffle and maybe in a Firmware update down the road this might just fix itself
Old 03-24-2005, 12:30 PM

Freshman Lounger

I have this same problem. So are you going to get it exchanged?
Old 03-24-2005, 01:36 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by echo
I have this same problem. So are you going to get it exchanged?
I did get mine exchanged and it did the exact same thing, but does not seem as bad. So I do not think that will fix your issue. They all might be doing this. I think it is some type of firmware limitation, like I said above. The Level 2 Tech people at the Apple support forum think the same thing as well that it is an encoding issue and the 320k songs might be what it may play sometime and skip other times. Any music that was encoded by iTunes directly seems fine though and the songs never get skipped over. I know it is not the songs themselves, because if I reloaded them back on, then it would play them the second time. It is a very strange thing to figure out. I think for me it was just it did not like the high 320 k encoding on some songs, as much as the lower 128 or 192 k encoding. All in all though since I do random song loads I would never even be able to tell. That may be why more people have not noticed this at all. Maybe if more people report it to Apple if they discover this then they will roll out an updated firmware.

Life is Random like it says I still enjoy my Shuffle and I am keeping this second one I have now!!
Old 04-09-2005, 10:57 PM

Pro Lounger

I left my shuffle on and fell asleep a couple of times this week, and while this meant most songs had a playcount of at least 1, I noticed that "Show Me Love" by t.A.T.u. still had a playcount of zero. So I took everything off the shuffle and loaded just Show Me Love, sure enough it wouldn't play it! I tried a restore and then reloaded the file, and suddenly it would play it! While this was an easy fix, it makes me wonder, now will it mess up on some different songs? And how often will I have to restore it to fix these issues? Seems to me like apple rushed the shuffles into production before all the bugs were worked out...
Old 04-10-2005, 02:15 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by punk_r0x
I left my shuffle on and fell asleep a couple of times this week, and while this meant most songs had a playcount of at least 1, I noticed that "Show Me Love" by t.A.T.u. still had a playcount of zero. So I took everything off the shuffle and loaded just Show Me Love, sure enough it wouldn't play it! I tried a restore and then reloaded the file, and suddenly it would play it! While this was an easy fix, it makes me wonder, now will it mess up on some different songs? And how often will I have to restore it to fix these issues? Seems to me like apple rushed the shuffles into production before all the bugs were worked out...
I somewhat agree with you, because if it was an issue with the song itself or file itself, then it would never play it. I hope a future firmware release will fix this. I say call Apple and let them know!! The more people that do this the more they will know there is a problem.

I am curious what type of file is that? The one you are having an issue with. Is it an mp3 or AAC and what bitrate? My issues were with higher bitrate mp3s.

I still say do the 128kbs AAC conversion as you are transfering, because that seems to fix the issue though it will take longer to load the shuffle up.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Lounger

All my songs are VBR mp3 files. In reading the apple forums, people seem to think it has to do with filenames (either being too long or having illegal characters), which doesn't explain why a song will play sometimes and not other times. I don't really want to have it convert songs to 128 AAC, I ripped them in VBR because I like the sound quality. I guess I'll just have to keep my eye on it and see how often it skips songs, though it's hard to tell when you have 120 songs loaded on there.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:23 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by punk_r0x
All my songs are VBR mp3 files. In reading the apple forums, people seem to think it has to do with filenames (either being too long or having illegal characters), which doesn't explain why a song will play sometimes and not other times. I don't really want to have it convert songs to 128 AAC, I ripped them in VBR because I like the sound quality. I guess I'll just have to keep my eye on it and see how often it skips songs, though it's hard to tell when you have 120 songs loaded on there.

I totally agree that you should not have to convert them at all. Since you like the higher sound quality from the VBR. That is why I chose to encode mine in higher bitrates too.

I had the same experience on the Apple forums. They were saying to me that the Shuffle might not like high bitrate files or file names. But again it plays them sometimes and not others so that explanation is not correct!! Plus the system requirements on the Apple website state that it accepts mp3s up to 320k!

The thing about noticing if it is skipping a song. I totally undedrstand to, that you might never know. That is probably why not every one is reporting this issue. It is simply that they maybe are not aware that it is happening with random songs, etc

Some more people should test this and chime in? Tell me if you are seeing this issue. Where it says the songs on there, but it does not play. This would be for mp3s that were encoded higher then 128k and/or encoded not using iTunes etc

Let's see what happens. A bunch of Shuffle owners I know are all seeing this issue.

That is why I mostly just use mine at the Gym and my Regular iPod anywhere else.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:16 PM

Pro Lounger

Well I've verified at least one cause of this problem: Today during a test run, I had one song that got skipped over: Renegade by Jay-Z feat. eminem. Realizing that this file had an extra period in the filename, just as my t.A.T.u. song did, I removed the extra period. Suddenly the file worked fine, without having to do a restore. The only thing this doesn't explain is why the t.A.T.u. file EVER played... but I intend to keep testing. Clearly (from discussions on this and other forums) odd characters in filenames are not the only thing that causes a shuffle to skip songs.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:22 PM

Freshman Lounger

Same Problem

I've just noticed the same problem, though I've yet to do any digging to try to find an explanation. Beyond coming here, I mean. Definitely seems to be systemic, and like someone has already pointed, probably much more widespread than anyone knows.

Maybe that's why the shuffle has no interface--Apple was worried people would pick up on this glitch. :-)
Old 04-11-2005, 10:17 PM

Freshman Lounger

Well I hope that it gets fixed. As we can all see now this is widespread!!

Removing periods and things like that should not be causing this, or should not have to be done!! I mean how many files can have periods. There could be tons

Let us just hope it gets fixed!! Report it to Apple is what we all need to do!!

And I agree that no display does make it hard to tell if the song will play or not. That is the reason I like the Shuffle for the Gym and Working Out, because there is no display to worry about. It makes it a stronger and less delicate device.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:16 AM

SSMoy

I think this problem is even more widespread than we think.. most people probably aren't even aware that they're listening to the same tracks over and over while others are being completely ignored. It took me a while before I realized what was happening, but now that I know it happens, I make sure it's ok before I leave the house. I select the "Keep source in playlist" option, then I plug my Shuffle into a little amp with speakers I made, and play through the first dozen or so tracks to make sure they all play... pretty damn tedious.

Sources: iPhone 4, 80GB Classic, 4GB 1st gen Nano
Earphones: ADDIEMs, Westone UM3X
Old 04-12-2005, 08:21 AM

Pro Lounger

My method of testing has been to make a smart playlist containing all of my songs with a 0 playcount. Then I autofill the shuffle from my smart playlist, and play the songs in order. When I plug it back in, it's easy to see which songs it's having an issue with. Then I simply try to identify any oddities in the file.

Topic: iPod Shuffle Not Playing All Songs?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.