Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How do you know when its fully charged?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 02-22-2005, 03:57 PM

Junior Lounger

How do you know when its fully charged?

Due to it having no screen, how do you find out if its fully charged?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-22-2005, 04:01 PM

Veteran Lounger

you dont. you just know how long it was charged, how long you've been using it, and when its dead. its really not an issue unless you go days without pluggin it in somewhere
Old 02-22-2005, 05:21 PM

Junior Lounger

look at the manual
Old 02-22-2005, 07:30 PM

Junior Lounger

lights

Lights. The battery button is found on the back and is amber when charging, green when fully charged, red when critically low. no light when it's all out of love.

I read somewhere that green is actually just 51% charged but that's not what the IPod Shuffle card indicates.

What Apple says:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300553
Old 02-22-2005, 07:43 PM

Veteran Lounger

yeah i think green is just "good charge" mine has always been green, even after 3 hours of use.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:16 AM

Freshman Lounger

So - even if it's green - let the shuffle charge for 4 hours?
Old 02-23-2005, 01:20 AM

Pro Lounger

i just plug it in all night and take it in the morning every day and ive never seen it go any lower then green.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:36 AM

Veteran Lounger

theres no harm in just leaving it charging overnight or whenever.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:58 AM

Junior Lounger

I concur with read the manual. Threads like this should be deleted. There is a BIG section entitled, BATTERY OPERATION!
Old 02-23-2005, 02:38 PM

Freshman Lounger

There are 2 things the lights indicate: battery status and charging status. It's easy to get the two confused.

When checking battery status by pressing the button on the back of the shuffle, green means >50%, amber >25%, red <%25. I'm guessing at these numbers but I've seen them posted elsewhere and from experience I agree with them.

When charging, the lights on both the back and the front will indicate charging status. In this case, amber means charging, green means full charge. I believe full charge is about 80%. If you leave it in for another hour or two, it trickle charges to 100%. While charging, you can press the battery button on the back to check the battery status (green/amber/red).

Sometimes you can't tell if the unit is charging or not because the light is blinking amber. If in Windows, eject the ipod in Windows Explorer by right clicking and the ipod's drive letter. The light will turn to solid amber and you can confirm that it is indeed charging. It'll turn green when fully charged.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:38 PM

Junior Lounger

Given its 12+ hours continuous op time. Do you really care if it reaches a full charge? Unless you are going to be away from your computer for days, it's hardly a problem is it?

In any case, as long as you leave it connected for a few hours, you can't go wrong. Further, if it's mounted on the desktop and it's flashing amber, then a quick press of the indicator button on the back will tell you the charge state. And if you really want to tell if it's really fully and totally charged prior to your big holiday, then just unmount from your desktop and wait for the continous green light on the front panel.

Topic: How do you know when its fully charged?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.