Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Does sweat really kill the shuffle?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 02-20-2005, 12:41 AM

Freshman Lounger

Does sweat really kill the shuffle?

i think i read somewhere that sweat will kill the ipod shuffle. well i went running on the threadmill with the ipod worn around my neck and right after that, the ipod died. i cannot seem to get it to play anymore.

I tried to restore the shuffle on my PC and the ipod updater software restores up to 90% and then stops....can anyone help please? i cannot live without my shuffle

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-20-2005, 12:44 AM

Freshman Lounger

1-800-APL-CARE
Old 02-20-2005, 03:59 AM

iPodding in Sheffield!

remembering that if you tell them you got sweat in it, I'm pretty sure they'll tell you that the warranty doesn't cover "user error"
Old 02-20-2005, 09:08 AM

Freshman Lounger

thanks for the tip, good point, they should make it clear in the instruction manual that you should not wear the lanyard while working out! but the armband is not available yet
Old 02-20-2005, 11:16 AM

Freshman Lounger

i fixed the problem after calling apple support, apparently when you reinstall the ipod updater software, it does not automatically update the icon in windows, so i was still using the older version of updater
Old 02-21-2005, 04:08 PM

Senior Lounger

In a way the manual does say it, just not in those exact words. Bottom line it's a no brainer that moisture and electronics don't mix.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:43 PM

Junior Lounger

I am not quite sure that Apple intended to market the Shuffle as the perfect gym accessory. From my experience with going to the gym, most people who are serious about getting a good workout do not want to have anything in their ears, or simply do not bring their own music. If you are talking about lifting, I have never seen anyone who knew what he was doing using head phones or ear buds; it is a matter of safety.

I think that people just decided, since the Shuffle is so small, it must be the perfect gym or jogging accessory. I can understand why some people might want to listen to music while jogging, or getting a good workout, I do not see this being safe or practical.

Seeing as the Shuffle is usually worn close to the neck, or around ones arm, it would make sense that sweat could get under the USB cap, or enter the device in other ways.

Then again, this might not be a problem for the type of person who would bring a Shuffle to the gym. I do not know how everyone thinks or behaves, but from my personal experience, people who bring iPods to the gym usually do not fully utilize the service the gym provides, to put it nicely.

iPod 4th generation - 20gig.
Creative Zen Xtra 30gig.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:53 PM

Veteran Lounger

i see what you mean about safety, but for many people music is a large help while running or biking. cardio would probably be the main group of people listening to music.

also, the shuffle seems to be pretty well made when it comes to moisture. if you look at the dissection, the front button part is protected by a rubber membrane. i think the only problem spot would be the slider switch.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:32 PM

Junior Lounger

Angry

I just wanted to say that I am a serious exerciser in lifting and cardio. I can not work out with out music! When you are working out for 3-4 hours music is a must. If you are so mentally handicapped that you can not work out and listen to music (witch most gyms have playing all the time anyways) maybe you shouldn't be in the gym.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:49 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by lole34
I just wanted to say that I am a serious exerciser in lifting and cardio. I can not work out with out music! When you are working out for 3-4 hours music is a must. If you are so mentally handicapped that you can not work out and listen to music (witch most gyms have playing all the time anyways) maybe you shouldn't be in the gym.
Sort of what he said but after running 20+ miles I would go nuts if I didn't have music to A) Keep my mind of the pain and B) To keep myself from going nuts by only having my own thoughts to listen to.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:12 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by lokai
I am not quite sure that Apple intended to market the Shuffle as the perfect gym accessory. From my experience with going to the gym, most people who are serious about getting a good workout do not want to have anything in their ears, or simply do not bring their own music. If you are talking about lifting, I have never seen anyone who knew what he was doing using head phones or ear buds; it is a matter of safety.

I think that people just decided, since the Shuffle is so small, it must be the perfect gym or jogging accessory. I can understand why some people might want to listen to music while jogging, or getting a good workout, I do not see this being safe or practical.

Then again, this might not be a problem for the type of person who would bring a Shuffle to the gym. I do not know how everyone thinks or behaves, but from my personal experience, people who bring iPods to the gym usually do not fully utilize the service the gym provides, to put it nicely.

Sorry, but that is BS. I have been working out since I was 13 (I'm 27 now), won Bench press competitions and seriously considered competing in bodybuilding comps. I have always listened to music in the gym and everybody I know of, including a lot of IFBB pro's, likes to listen to their own music because gym music sucks. That's how I got started on mp3 players, was trying to find good music to get me focused.

It's not an issue of safety for those of us that can move some weight
Old 02-22-2005, 10:13 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by lole34
If you are so mentally handicapped that you can not work out and listen to music maybe you shouldn't be in the gym.

Great Post
Old 02-22-2005, 03:05 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
most people who are serious about getting a good workout do not want to have anything in their ears, or simply do not bring their own music.
That's one silly generalization.

I agree the shuffle seems exceeding sensitive to moist environments which IMHO is seriously disappointing.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:24 PM

Freshman Lounger

I use my shuffle at the gym as well; I have overcome the issue with sweat by putting it in a vinyl arm id badge holder. I can access the button right through the vinyl. Also these days most good gyms have hammerstrength equipment for spot free weight lifting.
Good tunes amp me up, I get a better lift and burn. Yeah it could be dangerous if I was lifting in the middle of the street or if there was a fire, but I would probably see everyone hauling butt anyway.

Groovy

Old 02-22-2005, 11:09 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by lokai

Seeing as the Shuffle is usually worn close to the neck, or around ones arm, it would make sense that sweat could get under the USB cap, or enter the device in other ways.

Been lifting for 5 years.. last thing I want to do is listen to the gym's music. I dont even notice it in my ears and it drowns out the chumps that are busy talking instead of lifting. Go look at the real lifters in the gym and see if they have thier own music. You obviously never have.

Topic: Does sweat really kill the shuffle?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.