1GB iPod Shuffle VS the Sandisk 1GB MP3 Player

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Barista

Hello,

What I really want is a 20GB iPod or a 4GB Mini, but not everyone can afford expensive MP3 players like that. I have been looking at the iPod Shuffle, and the Sandisk 1GB. The Sandisk 1GB is a better value, but the iPod Shuffle would probably be higher quality, plus it is integrated into iTunes (which is good for me, a mac user). Here are the specs on both MP3 Players:

1GB iPod Shuffle - About $149.00
- Power Source: Rechargable Lithium Ion Battery
- General Features: Anti-Shock Memory, CD Ripping/Encoding, Internet Support, Upgradable Firmware
- Average Playback Time: 12 hours
- Format Supported: AAC, MP3, WAV
- Playback Featuers: Shuffle Play Mode
- Storage Media Supported: Internal Flash Drive
- System Compatibility: Macintosh, PC
- System Connectivity: USB
- 1 Year Limited Warranty

Sandisk 1GB Silver MP3 Player - About $123.00
- Power Source: (1) AAA Battery
- General Features: Backlit LCD Display, Built-In Microphone
- Addictional Features: FM Tuner, Voice Recorder
- Average Playback Time: 15 hours
- Batteries Included: Yes
- Format Suported: MP3, WMA, WMA DRM
- Included Components: Belt Clip, Carrying Case, Headphones, Software, USB Cable, User Manual
- Number of Station Presets: 20
- Playback Features: Track Programming
- Storage Media Supported: Internal Flash Drive
- System Compatibility: Macintosh, PC
- System Connectivity: USB
- 1 Year Limited Warranty

Now, I personally would want the Sandisk 1GB because it has a screen, a radio tuner, mic, etc. and all for less than the 1GB iPod Shuffle, but the Shuffle might be higher quality.. What do you guys think? Please say all of your thoughts on both of these players. Thanks!

widge

I too had to decide between the two, but the 512 versions.I plumped in the end for the Shuffle purley because it was smaller lighter and intergrated with iTunes, not having a screen doesn't bother me and i wouldn't use a voice recorder although i have one on my mobile phone and the same goes for the FM radio.It was quite a difficult choice as the Sandisk gets loads of great reviews.I can't really comment on the Sandisk sound quality, but the quality of the Shuffle is superb.

Barista

Well, I don't really like not having a screen, a voice recorder i wouldnt use, radio tuner I would rarely use. There is as you pointed out the sound quality. I could always go with the 512 sandisk, its about 40 bucks cheaper. I don't have a very large music collection, so I think the Sandisk 512 would be perfect for me. I think they can hold about 120 MP3's, which is probably enough.

widge

Well then you've answered your own question,the Sandisk it is i'm sure you won't be dissapointed.
If the Shuffle had not been launched i would of purchased the Sandisk 512mb.
Let me know what its like once you've purchased one.:)

cheezhead999

Packer Backer 4Life
Ok, since this is an iPod site, and I am true to my iPod. GET THE SHUFFLE!

thenerd

get the shuffle.
Even with no screen the shuffle is still sweet! It is light small and easy to use. Since your a mac user the shuffle will work better than the sandisk.

go for the shuffle
check out the pictures of mine

mtnagel

It comes down to the software. When I was looking for an mp3 player, I didn't even bother looking at the flash based ones because I had about 20 gb of music and the thought of picking and choosing 240 songs out of 5000 sounded annoying. So I bought the 40 gig full size iPod in Dec. When the Shuffle came out, I bought the 1 gig Shuffle and sold my full size one. The difference was the "autofill" feature in iTunes. It makes it so much easier to get a nice, random selection of songs based on my criteria automatically using iTunes. Until someone else comes out with software that can do that for the Sandisk one, I wouldn't even consider it. Just my 2 cents.

Barista

I have another question, could someone send me any WMA sound file, I'd like to hear what the quality sounds like. Becuase they are about half the size of an MP3.

zip22

i too was deciding between the two. i looked at the sandisk at best buy. i thought the controls felt cheap. it didnt have the "damn thats so small" factor the shuffle had. cnet.com also said the sandisk only had "so-so audio quality"

i ended up getting the shuffle, my brother got the sandisk.

you can get the sandisk for $112 after a $20 rebate here:
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?&product_uid=158097

Barista

Well, about WMA's. The reason I think they are half the size is because, here is an example: 1GB MP3 Player, says that it can hold 240MP3's and 480 WMA's. Yes, and it does depend on the compression on the file.

I'm applying for a job at my local Mac-o-rama. I have been using Mac's all of my life, I know a lot about repairing them. Anyway, mabye if I get a job there I can get a discount on an iPod shuffle.

jonathan_ive

iMade iPod
well i have had my ipod shuffle for a few days now, and i have played around with other flash players. firstly auto-fill and itunes are important features. not having a screen has not been a real disadvantage because it only holds a few songs anyway so i don't really see any point of adding a screen to complicate the product. and the reason why the ipod shuffle has much better sound quality than other flash players is because there is no screen distorting the sound.

the suffle does weigh a lot less than other flash players, hell i can pick it up and spin it around with the headphone wire.

and i have got a lot more than 12 hours battery life out of my ipod for sure.

Barista

I think I should go to my local Mac-o-rama store and try out an iPod shuffle. And then I should go to a best buy or comp usa and try out a Sandisk Mp3 player.

Btw, Jonathan, there is no way that a screen can distort sound.

zip22

you would think so, but even the LEDs on the shuffle distort the sound. it all has to do with the power draw. and an LCD would mean more power.

jpod999

4G'n "fo life"
jonathan_ive said:
the shuffle does weigh a lot less than other flash players, hell i can pick it up and spin it around with the headphone wire.

and i have got a lot more than 12 hours battery life out of my ipod for sure.
That is true. I used my shuffle for a week and 1 day before I had to recharge it.

The shuffle really is a great buy. I got to use a friend's Sandisk player, and didn't really like the interface. The shuffle is the easiest of them all. Plug in the headphones, pull down the switch, and hit play.

Gunslinger

Keep in mind how much its gonna cost to keep buying AAA batteries or to buy a set or rechargeables. The battery life wont last as long and unlike the shuffle you'll have to carry around extra batteries or a charger to keep it going. With the shuffle you just need a usb port.
Home PC, Work PC, PS2, The 12V Car USB adapter I bought for $2.00 at futureshop :), etc.

P.S. I love my 1GB Shuffle :) (I'm Biased)

jonathan_ive

iMade iPod
Gunslinger said:
Keep in mind how much its gonna cost to keep buying AAA batteries or to buy a set or rechargeables. The battery life wont last as long and unlike the shuffle you'll have to carry around extra batteries or a charger to keep it going. With the shuffle you just need a usb port.
Home PC, Work PC, PS2, The 12V Car USB adapter I bought for $2.00 at futureshop :), etc.

thank for giving me good feedback, i spend weeks designed the shuffle, jobs threatened to buy my wages if i didn't get it done on time, but it is all worth it to see all the users happy using them :)

(ps if you think i am talking crap read my name, and google it)

Podunk

I have a Shuffle and also tested a 1G Sandisk player. On paper the Sandisk looks pretty good, but there are some issues.

1) The sound distorted about every ten seconds. I didn't notice this until the second day. I read several reports on the internet of this ame problem. I think it is very widespread, but many people post about how great it is before they realize it has a problem.

2) If you use iTunes already, its just a pain in the ### to try to manage a "non-iTunes" hardware device, even if your files are all MP3. You end up having to either click and track files like back in the stone age, or managing a seperate music app like WMP10 to transfer your files.

So obviously, the audio defect was a deal breaker for the Sandisk, but even so, its not worth the hassle of not being able to use it with iTunes, especially if you already use iTUnes to manage your music library.

Vishalca

Gunslinger said:

Wow, $2.00!!! That is unbelievable; I should check out my Future Shop's!