Never Ask Me If I Want To Replace All Existing Songs - Possible?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

boltjames

I only want to use my notebook to recharge my Shuffle. Never want to link to it. Just use it to charge.

Every time I pop the Shuffle into the notebook, I get the iTunes warning screen:

"The iPod "Boltjames iPod" is linked to another iTunes library. Do you want to change the link to this iTunes library and replace all existing songs and playlists on this iPod with those from this library?"

Very annoying to have to hit the 'no' button every time I mount the Shuffle and I just know that one day I'll hit 'yes' by accident and wipe the music clean just before a 14 hour flight to Indonesia.

So....is there a setting I'm not locating that will allow my Shuffle to connect to iTunes yet not prompt me to link up and thus risk a mistake?

TIA

Icecool

Apple Psychopath
When your iPod is connected, go to your iPod options (Right click on your iPod in iTunes and select iPod Options) and select manual updating instead of automatic.

boltjames

Icecool said:
When your iPod is connected, go to your iPod options (Right click on your iPod in iTunes and select iPod Options) and select manual updating instead of automatic.
Thanks, but that doesn't work.

If you choose "no" when asked if you want to link to the notebook's library (instead of my home PC) it doesn't light the iPod icon and the iPod options tab in Preferences is all greyed out. The battery will charge just as originally intended, but iTunes can't see the Shuffle because I told it not to link to it.

Any other ideas?

BJ

AndyH

boltjames said:
Thanks, but that doesn't work.

If you choose "no" when asked if you want to link to the notebook's library (instead of my home PC) it doesn't light the iPod icon and the iPod options tab in Preferences is all greyed out. The battery will charge just as originally intended, but iTunes can't see the Shuffle because I told it not to link to it.
You need to change the option when it's connected to your home PC, not your notebook computer.

thren

Website
www.thren.net
This should work, but you will have to then manually sync when you want to add songs.

Just remove iTunes and the iPod software from your notebook? It should then just show up as an external drive (like a usb key would)

boltjames

Andy:

Thanks! Works! (Although the light that was green signifying a full charge now goes only amber for some reason).

thren:

I originally didn't have iTunes on my notebook, but when you do that the computer just sees the Shuffle as a generic drive and doesn't load the drivers necessary to have the indicator light on the front of the Shuffle show solid amber (charging) or solid green (fully charged). Instead, it just flashes amber and you never know if you're fully charged or not. Thus the need to have the iTunes software but in the "don't sync" position.

Thanks!

BJ

mtnagel

boltjames said:

thren:

I originally didn't have iTunes on my notebook, but when you do that the computer just sees the Shuffle as a generic drive and doesn't load the drivers necessary to have the indicator light on the front of the Shuffle show solid amber (charging) or solid green (fully charged). Instead, it just flashes amber and you never know if you're fully charged or not. Thus the need to have the iTunes software but in the "don't sync" position.

Thanks!

BJ
Actually, that's not true. I charge on my work computer and all you have to do is go into Explorer and right click on the Shuffle drive and hit eject. Don't use the icon in the task bar to eject it. Doing this will allow it to charge and the lights work as expected (amber to green when fully charged).

boltjames

mtnagel said:
Actually, that's not true. I charge on my work computer and all you have to do is go into Explorer and right click on the Shuffle drive and hit eject. Don't use the icon in the task bar to eject it. Doing this will allow it to charge and the lights work as expected (amber to green when fully charged).
Hmm....tried that on my XP and W2K machines and the only way I get solid amber/green lights is if iTunes is installed.

BJ