Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Machined Aluminum Hard Case For My Shuffle

Closed Thread Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 02-06-2005, 09:20 PM

Junior Lounger

Talking Machined Aluminum Hard Case For My Shuffle - PHOTOS INSIDE!

I've had my Shuffle for a couple weeks now and I've been carrying it around with me in my pocket. I love it and use it more than my 4th Gen 40GB.

I couldn't find any Shuffle hard cases available yet, but I wanted to protect it so I just made my own. I CNC machined it out of aluminum this weekend. See for yourself...

Hey guys! A quick update here... as of Feb. 10th...

Additional cases are now being made.
I am working my tail off to try to get the very first shipments out the door!

If you are interested in buying one, email me here at XAXIS @ COX.NET.

I'll add you to the list and let you know when they become available. They will be sold on a first come, first served basis for a while.

Pricing still remains undetermined, but I will post a webpage with additional info, pics, and pricing in the coming days.

For those that haven't seen my full size iPod cases, here's a link to a page with 3 pics of the 3G version that I did last summer...

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE PICS OF ONE OF MY FULL SIZE IPOD CASES.

I will post pics of the 4G version as soon as I get a chance. These styles are being made as well!

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful comments and continued support!

Latest Update... Feb. 11th, 2005

Getting closer... the patent process has begun.
The initial website is just about ready to go.
I registered 10 domain names last night.

Still lots to do, but I'm making some serious headway.

Another quick update here... as of Feb. 14th...

Well everybody, I've made some headway on these cases over the weekend. I spent all day at my buddy's shop on Saturday working to get his shop producing them as well. He is at least as meticulous as I am about the quality, so I have no concerns there.

I also met with another friend that owns a major mfg. enterprise on Friday as well. They've got several facilities and tons of resources to draw from. They will be helping out to get the other models rolling as well.

Of course, I'm covering my bases with signed, non-disclosure (confidentiality) agreements in place, as well as the patent process that was already started during the week. I'm pretty familiar with this whole process as I do it at work all the time. I am a design engineer by trade (my day job) and develop products for a global action sports / lifestyle brand that does $600 million in sales / year, worldwide. I'm no stranger to the product development process so this is not too big a stretch for me.

I am trying to keep the price as low as possible.
I think you all will be pleasantly surprised.
It will be quite a great deal for the product you are getting.

I would like to say that I am just completely overwhelmed by the show of support here. All you guys (and gals!) are great. It's because of you and your comments that things have come this far.

Wow, I still have tons to do and many things still to consider, but I am very passionate about my work. You can expect my efforts to be just as great as the cases themselves.

Latest update here... as of Mar. 2nd...

Cases for all models (except Gen 1 & Gen 2) will be available.
Iíve already made about 20 more prototype samples and have anodized them in a variety of colors (Iíll try to post pics soon). They all look great!
As for pricing, it will definitely be under $40Ö maybe under $30. It all depends on the level of distribution (which dictates the quantities that are being produced as well as the manufacturing costs).

Iím sorry if this hasnít moved as quickly as some would like to see, but it is happening and the cases will be available very soon. Also, I do have several other ideas to address the various concerns expressed by some in regards to lanyards, usb access, laser etchings/engravings, finishes, etc. Believe me, I have already thought about all of these. Remember, I have already been using my Shuffle case every day for more then 3 weeks and my full-size iPod case since last summer. There are numerous possibilities and you guys will see some exciting stuff from me soon.

In the meantime, anyone interested in my cases can continue to email all inquiries toÖ
XAXIS @ COX.NET

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Machined Aluminum Hard Case For My Shuffle-ipod_shuffle_case_pat.jpg  

- Helix
(Designer of the Griffin iVault)

Last edited by helixipod; 03-02-2005 at 10:10 PM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-06-2005, 09:21 PM

Senior Lounger

That's pretty impressive. What's CNC?

$specs = array("model"=>"iPod", "gen"=>"4G", "capacity"=>"40GB", "songs"=>"4497");
print_r($specs);
Old 02-06-2005, 09:23 PM

Reclined Lounger

That is very impressive and one of the nicer things that I have seen made for any iPod. Great job...

-Andrew
Old 02-06-2005, 09:28 PM

Junior Lounger

CNC stands for "Computer Numerical Control".
I made it on a CNC milling machine.

So you can probably see that it doesn't use the plastic cap anymore... which I figured would just get lost or broken before long anyway. The front and back half of the case are joined together by 4 very small screws. I have no need to take it out of the case anymore. The headphones come in from the top, USB from the bottom, and there is also a window on the back for the on/off/shuffle slider and battery button. It is lined on the front, back, top, bottom, and sides with black velvet.

Now it won't get damaged by the other random things I seem to collect in my pocket throughout the day!

I'm set, now I just need to get it anodized some cool color... maybe black or red.

Here is a pic with the USB cable attached...
Attached Thumbnails
Machined Aluminum Hard Case For My Shuffle-shuffle_case_usb_pat.jpg  

- Helix

Last edited by helixipod; 02-11-2005 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:41 PM

Senior Lounger

Dude, you could totally sell those things. They look completely professional.

$specs = array("model"=>"iPod", "gen"=>"4G", "capacity"=>"40GB", "songs"=>"4497");
print_r($specs);
Old 02-06-2005, 10:05 PM

ipod adviser

why don't you show me the back?

I want to see how you made for control toggle of the back. so the case covers usb thumb to connect. but without extended cable, it can't be used, right?

if you have a powerbook, how you can hook it up without usb cable? well, it's not big deal. but if I were you, I don't want to carry usb extension cable all the time. just hook it up with usb 2 port directly.

16GB 2nd Gen. ipod touch, 8GB iphone 3G, 8GB first gen. ipod touch.

new Apple in-earphone, V-moda Vibe II, Ultimate ears Super fi 4v, iSkin Cerulean X1, Shure SE210

new 15-inch unibody Macbook Pro, Intel core2duo 24-inch iMac, new Apple LED 24-inch monitor, Sony Vaio VGN-NR180E (200GB HDD, core2duo) 15.4-inch wide screen.

Last edited by archurban; 02-06-2005 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:14 PM

Freshman Lounger

I would totally buy one of these! Woudl you consider making and selling few?
Old 02-06-2005, 10:40 PM

Veteran Lounger

sweet. i think one where the shuffle would fit inside with the usb cap would be cool. kinda like the armour cases with a hinge on the bottom. thats what im looking for.

but yours is really nice. how long did it take you?
Old 02-06-2005, 10:49 PM

Junior Lounger

Hey, that thing is AWESOME!!!! Seriously, you could make a BUNDLE on those!!! Great design - I want one!
Old 02-07-2005, 02:54 AM

Junior Lounger

Here's a pic of the back...
Attached Thumbnails
Machined Aluminum Hard Case For My Shuffle-ipod_shuffle_case_back_pat.jpg  

- Helix

Last edited by helixipod; 02-11-2005 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:08 AM

Junior Lounger

if you dun mind, i'd like to give it a shot at my workshop too.... u mind sharing your dwgs?

I'd like to try purple anodize.

4G 40GB of mAdneSs....
Old 02-07-2005, 03:16 AM

1,2, WOOP WOOP

The OP is the pinnacle of cool now.

i suggest to the OP to not give away any drawings, plans and market this idea to several companies.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:25 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by enjoilax
The OP is the pinnacle of cool now.

i suggest to the OP to not give away any drawings, plans and market this idea to several companies.
think u're right... Maybe we can try to make our own case and post the pics here?.. wish me luck :P

helixipod, may i suggest texturing the surface (maybe glassbeads or EDM) before anodize? That would make it cooler... bit expensive though.

4G 40GB of mAdneSs....

Last edited by screw; 02-07-2005 at 03:28 AM.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:48 AM

Freshman Lounger

Dude, wanna sell one? How Much?
plus could you put like a pivoting rectangular loop in the bottom over the USB port so you could put a chain through it to wear around your neck. then if you wanted to use the USB it would swing left or right to be out of the way of the cable.

P.S. What do you guys think about doing powder coating for differnet colors.

Last edited by Gunslinger; 02-07-2005 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:30 PM

Freshman Lounger

Helix, that rules! How about a model with a couple of holes in the side for the lanyard? I want one and would be willing to pay for one. You should market it. How heavy is it?

Topic: Machined Aluminum Hard Case For My Shuffle

Closed Thread Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.