Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Interesting NEW info about iPod Shuffle...

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 01-12-2005, 12:17 AM

Junior Lounger

Interesting NEW info about iPod Shuffle...

Some things folks aren't talking about...

1) Hold button. There is no hold button so instead you hold the play/pause button for 3 seconds a orange LED flashes to indicate your in hold. Attempting to press any button then causes the orange LED to flash but the buttons do nothing. To take it out of hold you press the play/pause button for another 3 seconds.

2) Battery charge status. There is a battery status button on the back which when you press it causes the LED to show green, yellow, or red to indicate level of charge. No LED indicates a dead battery.

3) The iPod shuffle is the ONLY iPod formated in MS-DOS which is Mac/PC compatible so there is never a need to reformat the iPod shuffle when moving between PCs or Macs.

4) There is a setting in the new iTunes 4.7.1 for iPod Shuffles ONLY that will automatically take ANY format type (MP3, Lossless, WAV, AIFF, AAC etc.) that is over 128 kbps and format it to a 128 kbps AAC file before putting it on the iPod shuffle (all without changing the format of the orginial file on the computer, or saving that new version of the file on the computer.) This does slightly increase the time to sync of course if you have numerous files about 128 kbps but it is a nice option for those who really want to pack in a decent amount of files on a shuffle, in particular the 512k model.

There is a suprising amount of thought put into this simple little model... more details to come...

Me: 1G iPod nano 4GB (white)
Wife: 2G iPod nano 8GB (black)

retired iPods: 2G iPod 10GB, 3G iPod 20GB, iPod shuffle 512MB, 4G iPod GB, 5G iPod (white)

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-12-2005, 12:28 AM

Power Lounger

I think you meant 512mb model. 512k wouldn't hold much lol

12 inch powerbook 867 Mhz 40 GB l 640 MB RAM l airport extreme l Mac OS X 10.4.3
Powermac G5 l Dual 1.8 GHz 80 GB l 1.25 GB RAM l Mac OS 10.4.6
15 gig 3G iPod l remote l apple earbuds l ipod dock l Black iSkin Evo
Black 30 gig 5G iPod l Agent 18 Case
Old 01-12-2005, 12:31 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by Matrixsjd
I think you meant 512mb model. 512k wouldn't hold much lol
good catch, i am losing it.

retired iPods: 2G iPod 10GB, 3G iPod 20GB, iPod shuffle 512MB, 4G iPod GB, 5G iPod (white)
Old 01-12-2005, 12:40 AM

Junior Lounger

i'm intrigued frankly.. i like the bit about it ocnverting to 128 and leaving original files alone..

i've been looking for something to take on my runs, this like it will fit the bill nicely.. and $99 ain't too shabby.

although they should release different versions.. i ahve no use for those ####ty earbuds.. they shoul doffer an "active" lifestyle version with a white over the head band with earbuds attached (ala sony's little headphones)
Old 01-12-2005, 12:45 AM

Intellectual Recluse

Formatted in MS-DOS, huh? How fitting. Alas, at least DOS had some sort of UI.

Good call on the auto-conversion in iTunes, though, I have to admit.

| 4G iPod + hp [20 GB] | 4G Contour Showcase [Black] | Sony MDR-EX51LP | Koss KSC-55 | Philips HP-170 | Windows XP | iTunes |
Old 01-12-2005, 02:46 AM

Freshman Lounger

hold button

thanks for the info on the hold button.
i thought it was weird that no one had talked about the hold button issue since it seems like hold saves everyone on a regular basis.

i'm a rocker. i rock out.
| iPod 4g 40Gb | Contour Design iSee-40 | Griffin Technology iTrip |
| 6493 Songs | 28.1 Gb |
Old 01-12-2005, 04:08 AM

Veteran Lounger

That is interesting! So it converts them so you are ASSURED 120 or 240 songs, there is no quality vs number of songs debate.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:58 AM

Veteran Lounger

Well you can fit 1000 songs on there if you wanted to, provided that each track is 1 minute long.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:07 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowy28
That is interesting! So it converts them so you are ASSURED 120 or 240 songs, there is no quality vs number of songs debate.
you don't HAVE to convert them (unless they are AIFF or Lossless files which must be converted) but of course if you are using a higher bit rate you could have room for fewer than 120/240 songs. if you set the autoconversion to 128 kbps then you never have to worry about it although of course you will lose a bit of sound quality (something that might not be an issue if you are going running etc.)

Old 01-12-2005, 09:53 PM

The autoconversion is incredibly cool!

I'm sure it's a feature that many owners of large iPods and MEGA libraries would greatly appreciate being ported to the larger iPods.

However, I doubt that will ever happen, because:
1) converting a regular iPod's-worth of music on the fly would take a *long* time, and
2) MEGA library owners drive the sales of the larger, more expensive iPods. Add that feature for regular iPods, and upgrade sales will drop.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:53 AM

Freshman Lounger

So, you can set the conversion bit rate right? I'm really curious about this, since my library is in Apple Lossless. I don't mind the drop down so much as the drop so far down. If I could set it to 256kb/s that would be very agreeable considering the additional room it would afford me. Anyone willin to post a screen shot of the setting?
Old 01-13-2005, 02:01 AM

iPod therefore I am

CORRECTION: iPod Shuffle DOES NOT support AIFF and Lossless!

Please correct your post. You're misinforming people. Refer to Apple's own website and check the specs.

| Ice eXo3 | Tune Belt | Dock | Remote | iCondoms |
| Etymotic ER6i | Sony EX71 | Shure E2c (Sold) | Apple In-Ear (Sold) |

Proud Owner of a Sony PSP!
Old 01-13-2005, 02:04 AM

iPod therefore I am

Here's a link directly to the iPod Shuffle's specs from Apple's own website: http://www.apple.com/ipodshuffle/specs.html

Old 01-13-2005, 02:07 AM

iPod therefore I am

Quote:
Originally posted by taavi
So, you can set the conversion bit rate right? I'm really curious about this, since my library is in Apple Lossless. I don't mind the drop down so much as the drop so far down. If I could set it to 256kb/s that would be very agreeable considering the additional room it would afford me. Anyone willin to post a screen shot of the setting?
Sorry, but you'll have to convert your Lossless library into a format the the iPod Shuffle can play!

Sucks to be you or anyone else that has any other formatted music like AIFF which the iPod Shuffle doesn't support... you've gotta do some convertin'.

Luckily, ALL of my music, once loaded into iTunes, I immediately convert to AAC format, so I won't have a problem... but I'm sure some other users like you might.

Old 01-13-2005, 02:21 AM

One cool dude, indeed.

Quote:
Originally posted by FallN
CORRECTION: iPod Shuffle DOES NOT support AIFF and Lossless!

Please correct your post. You're misinforming people. Refer to Apple's own website and check the specs.
Who said this?

p.s. Post whore (I shouldn't talk)

Signature by Skettalee

Topic: Interesting NEW info about iPod Shuffle...

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.