Interesting NEW info about iPod Shuffle...

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

canyonblue737

Some things folks aren't talking about...

1) Hold button. There is no hold button so instead you hold the play/pause button for 3 seconds a orange LED flashes to indicate your in hold. Attempting to press any button then causes the orange LED to flash but the buttons do nothing. To take it out of hold you press the play/pause button for another 3 seconds.

2) Battery charge status. There is a battery status button on the back which when you press it causes the LED to show green, yellow, or red to indicate level of charge. No LED indicates a dead battery.

3) The iPod shuffle is the ONLY iPod formated in MS-DOS which is Mac/PC compatible so there is never a need to reformat the iPod shuffle when moving between PCs or Macs.

4) There is a setting in the new iTunes 4.7.1 for iPod Shuffles ONLY that will automatically take ANY format type (MP3, Lossless, WAV, AIFF, AAC etc.) that is over 128 kbps and format it to a 128 kbps AAC file before putting it on the iPod shuffle (all without changing the format of the orginial file on the computer, or saving that new version of the file on the computer.) This does slightly increase the time to sync of course if you have numerous files about 128 kbps but it is a nice option for those who really want to pack in a decent amount of files on a shuffle, in particular the 512k model.

There is a suprising amount of thought put into this simple little model... more details to come...

oneness

i'm intrigued frankly.. i like the bit about it ocnverting to 128 and leaving original files alone..

i've been looking for something to take on my runs, this like it will fit the bill nicely.. and $99 ain't too shabby.

although they should release different versions.. i ahve no use for those ####ty earbuds.. they shoul doffer an "active" lifestyle version with a white over the head band with earbuds attached (ala sony's little headphones)

MysticSyphon

Intellectual Recluse
Formatted in MS-DOS, huh? How fitting. Alas, at least DOS had some sort of UI.

Good call on the auto-conversion in iTunes, though, I have to admit.

cicconeyouth

hold button

thanks for the info on the hold button.
i thought it was weird that no one had talked about the hold button issue since it seems like hold saves everyone on a regular basis.

swy32x

That is interesting! So it converts them so you are ASSURED 120 or 240 songs, there is no quality vs number of songs debate.

canyonblue737

Snowy28 said:
That is interesting! So it converts them so you are ASSURED 120 or 240 songs, there is no quality vs number of songs debate.
you don't HAVE to convert them (unless they are AIFF or Lossless files which must be converted) but of course if you are using a higher bit rate you could have room for fewer than 120/240 songs. if you set the autoconversion to 128 kbps then you never have to worry about it although of course you will lose a bit of sound quality (something that might not be an issue if you are going running etc.)

jh-retired

The autoconversion is incredibly cool!

I'm sure it's a feature that many owners of large iPods and MEGA libraries would greatly appreciate being ported to the larger iPods.

However, I doubt that will ever happen, because:
1) converting a regular iPod's-worth of music on the fly would take a *long* time, and
2) MEGA library owners drive the sales of the larger, more expensive iPods. Add that feature for regular iPods, and upgrade sales will drop.

taavi

So, you can set the conversion bit rate right? I'm really curious about this, since my library is in Apple Lossless. I don't mind the drop down so much as the drop so far down. If I could set it to 256kb/s that would be very agreeable considering the additional room it would afford me. Anyone willin to post a screen shot of the setting?

FallN

iPod therefore I am
CORRECTION: iPod Shuffle DOES NOT support AIFF and Lossless!

Please correct your post. You're misinforming people. Refer to Apple's own website and check the specs.

FallN

iPod therefore I am
taavi said:
So, you can set the conversion bit rate right? I'm really curious about this, since my library is in Apple Lossless. I don't mind the drop down so much as the drop so far down. If I could set it to 256kb/s that would be very agreeable considering the additional room it would afford me. Anyone willin to post a screen shot of the setting?
Sorry, but you'll have to convert your Lossless library into a format the the iPod Shuffle can play! :eek:

Sucks to be you or anyone else that has any other formatted music like AIFF which the iPod Shuffle doesn't support... you've gotta do some convertin'.

Luckily, ALL of my music, once loaded into iTunes, I immediately convert to AAC format, so I won't have a problem... but I'm sure some other users like you might. :(

Joshdude

One cool dude, indeed.
FallN said:
CORRECTION: iPod Shuffle DOES NOT support AIFF and Lossless!

Please correct your post. You're misinforming people. Refer to Apple's own website and check the specs.
Who said this?

p.s. Post whore :D (I shouldn't talk)

taavi

screenshot anyone?

Can someone post a screenshot of the new auto conversion setting for the iPod shuffle?