iPod Shuffle 1st Gen Battery Replacement - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPod Shuffle 1st Gen Battery Replacement

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 04-27-2007, 06:56 AM

Freshman Lounger

iPod Shuffle 1st Gen Battery Replacement

After my shuffle started behaving weird and not charging anymore when plugged into a USB port or a car charger, it completely ran out of battery - not even enough power for the red battery empty light. Guess it really ran dry...

So I looked around on the web and found instructions for opening my shuffle here: http://www.hackaday.com/2005/03/02/h...e-disassembly/

After playing around with a knife as instructed for some minutes it really popped open. So I ordered a replacement battery online (biggest marketplace on earth of course) for as low as 1 EURO plus shipping. Batttery has even more Ah than original (300 vs. 230Ah). Right now I'm waiting for the battery to arrive and I'll see how the replacement works.

But spending a single digit amount and some time on a new battery sure beats getting a new iPod.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:32 AM

Blue since the 70's

This topic interests me a lot. My sister has a 1G Shuffle and I have a 2G. Of course the 2G is still too new to think about battery replacement but I always look ahead and I was wondering if replacement of the battery was even possible with Shuffles. It sure DOES beat getting a brand new iPod whenever the batt. dies.

Good luck with your replacement and please keep us posted on how it all goes.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:40 AM

Veteran Lounger

You can replace the battery in the 2G shuffle too, I was wondering if it was possible as well since the unit seems to be one piece. Looks like you just heat the top of the unit with a hair dryer and then lift up the white portion on the top with a flat head then push the board out from the buttom.

iPod Shuffle [2GB/3G] -- iPod Video 240GB -- iPod Classic 120GB -- iPod Nano 16GB [4G] -- iPod Shuffle [2GB/2G] -- iPod Shuffle 4GB
Retired: 5G 60GB, 80GB, Classic 80GB, 2G Shuffle 1GB, iPod Touch 1G 16GB, 1G Nano, 2G Nano
Old 05-01-2007, 02:10 AM

Senior Lounger

I'm not at that point yet. But one of my shuffles may be headed that way because it doesn't last as long as it used to. What I've heard is that you can break the ribbon if you're not careful. This may be people that didn't read intructions, who knows. But could you see that happening easily?
Old 05-01-2007, 04:54 AM

Freshman Lounger

CaliGirl, breaking the ribbon could definitely happpen easily (as stated in the instructions I linked above + read the comments there, lots of people complainng about the ribbon), but with enough care and caution you should be fine. And, since my iPod is already unusable, there was nothing to lose for me.

Still waiting for that battery. Tracking said it left Hong Kong 2 days ago. Now let's see when it'll arrive...
Old 05-01-2007, 12:37 PM

Senior Lounger

Good to know. I kept the link for when I do need it, thanks.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:34 AM

Freshman Lounger

Two days ago my new battery arrived. As I was busy since then I only found time today to do the replacement. My shuffle was still disassembled from a week ago (please follow instructions posted in the link in my original post), so I just had to cut the wires as close to the old battery as possible (to make soldering them to the new one easier). Then, my trusty old soldering iron proved itself again and did a fine job on connecting the wires to the labeled contacts on the new battery. Reassembly was a bliss.
At first the shuffle only gave a brief green light upon being turned on (as in: no change to before) and nothing when plugged into a USB port, so I thought, oh well, in the end it wasn't the battery after all. But on the third USB connection it behaved as it should and is happily charging now. I guess it needed a little power for the battery to get going.

I have my old iPod shuffle back! Yeah!
Old 05-05-2007, 02:43 PM

Veteran Lounger

Sounds like the shipping took 5 days from Hong Kong to Europe. That's pretty good.

For anyone who finds this thread:

Don't attempt this fix if you're not a competent solderer. The heat that is conducted into the battery from multiple attempts at soldering the battery in can make the battery pop, spraying corrosive material onto you, probably into your face.

I almost popped a lithium-polymer battery pack when I was soldering a connector onto it once.

freerice - a vocab quiz that donates rice
Old 05-05-2007, 04:51 PM

Senior Lounger

That sounds pretty darn scary! So scary that when I get to that point, I'll probably opt to either A) just get a new shuffle OR B) Have some geek store do it. Not worth it since I just bought a sealed 1st Gen 1GB iPod for $30! I'll pay that much to keep the corrosives off my face thank you!
Old 05-06-2007, 01:38 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA
For anyone who finds this thread:

Don't attempt this fix if you're not a competent solderer. The heat that is conducted into the battery from multiple attempts at soldering the battery in can make the battery pop, spraying corrosive material onto you, probably into your face.

I almost popped a lithium-polymer battery pack when I was soldering a connector onto it once.
Definitely a risk that should not be ignored! The advantage with the battery pack for the shuffle is that the conector is on a small seperate logic baord, so the heat is not transfered directly into the battery pack. BTW, the heat not only could damage the battery but also the shuffle itself. So I restricted myself to very short touches with the soldering iron.

BUT: As indicated by LukeA's post: This is not for the completely inexperienced with this kind of things!!!
Old 05-08-2007, 01:03 AM

Senior Lounger

That would be me. I guess I can handlle most software problems, but not internal. Kinda like I'm a psychologist to iPods, where as some people are surgeons! I'll stick to psychology or psychiatry.

Topic: iPod Shuffle 1st Gen Battery Replacement

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.