I want to take random autofill off - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: I want to take random autofill off

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 08-07-2006, 08:19 PM

Freshman Lounger

Red face I want to take random autofill off

I put it on so I could get a new mix, I turned off the button that says replace all songs when autofilling, hit autofill and vula, exactly what I wanted. Now here comes problem time, everytime I go to delete a song to make room for another song or just to have some extra space, it autofills till theres nothing left . The canceling button on top when there was around 60 megs left. It didn't listen . RUN, RUN! The machines are taking over! [help?]
Old 08-08-2006, 12:11 PM

NOT a mind reader

I don't own a Shuffle, and I'm not sure what the problem is that you are having. The following instructions are from iPod 101:

With iPod shuffle, you can set iTunes to Autofill the player with random songs from the library or a particular playlist.

1. Connect iPod shuffle to your computer. iTunes should open by default (if you set iTunes preferences to not open iTunes when you connect your iPod shuffle, open iTunes manually).

2. Select your iPod shuffle in the Source list.

3. In the pane below the song list pane, you'll see several options that allow you to control what songs to automatically transfer to your iPod shuffle. From the Autofill from pop-up menu (drop-down in Windows), choose Library if you want to copy random songs from your entire library, or choose a playlist from which to copy tunes.

4. If you already have some songs on your iPod shuffle but want to replace them, select the "Replace all songs when Autofilling" checkbox. Otherwise, deselect this checkbox to keep your current songs intact—iTunes will then add songs to your existing collection.

5. If you select the "Choose songs randomly" checkbox, iTunes will select songs at random from your chosen source. If you deselect this checkbox, iTunes will fill your iPod shuffle with songs from your chosen source in the order in which they appear until either your iPod shuffle is full or all songs are copied.

6. If you want iTunes to lean towards copying your higher rated songs, select the "Choose higher rated songs more often" checkbox. If you're not a faithful song rater, don't select this checkbox.

7. Click Autofill to make iTunes start filling your iPod shuffle with songs. Please be aware that this can take a while, depending on how large your iTunes library or playlist is. If you want to add podcasts or audiobooks, follow the next two steps.

8. To add particular podcasts to iPod shuffle, select Podcasts in the Source list. Then either select and drag a podcast title to the iPod shuffle icon in the Source list to copy all of the downloaded episodes, or click the disclosure triangle next to any podcast title and drag any podcast listing to the iPod shuffle icon to add individual episodes.

9. To add particular audiobooks to iPod shuffle, select Library in the Source list, select an audiobook in the song list pane, and drag it to the iPod shuffle icon in the Source list.

10. When you're ready to start playing with iPod shuffle, disconnect it from your computer by clicking the small eject button to the right of the iPod shuffle icon in the Source list. When the icon disappears from iTunes, you can safely unplug iPod shuffle.

QFT: "The iPod is not a device in which you can store your music collection w/o having it backed up using another option. - honeybee1236"
-----
iLounge URLs: iPod/iTunes Beginner's Guide | Copy Music from iPod to Computer | iPod 101/201 | iPod FAQs | Last 24h. | vBulletin FAQ

Apple URLs: Battery Test | iPod manuals | iPod 101 | iPod Higher learning | iTunes Support | iPod and iPhone: TV Out support | Setting Vol. Limit | iPod with 2+ computers | How much stuff will fit?
Old 08-17-2006, 11:21 PM

Freshman Lounger

Yea, not sure how else to word it. When I autofill it and try to delete songs I dont want with ones I do, It automatically fills in the space I just made with another random song, even whens the random autofill button isn't even selected.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:48 AM

Freshman Lounger

Unhappy My shuffle refills when I dont want it too :(

I delete songs to make room on my Ipod, but I have to go into the directory from the my computer symbol. The songs are not playable on the Ipod unless im at a computer. Everytime I delete them, they just keep coming back the next time I plug it back into my computer. This is a huge pain in the ### if I just want to add a song or 2.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:34 PM

HUGE Metallica Fan

I would just skip the autofill function in iTunes and just set it up to manually manage songs and playlists. When you do it this way, you can just manually drag and drop songs in your library/playlists on to the shuffle (i.e. drag any song or playlist to the shuffle's name in the left pane and let go), and you get exactly what you want on it. From what you describe this would probably work better for you.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:35 PM

Freshman Lounger

Yea...

If someone could help me before the shuffle becomes obsolete, thad' be just great.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:42 PM

Freshman Lounger

Um....

like I said, I alreadly tried that, and its not really a preference, it's files that keep regenerating. What happens is a folder full of music pops up [info] in my shuffle folder each time I plug it into my computer [ E:\Music ]. Now, every time it pops up, I delete it cus' it fills up my ipod. It's a pain, help?

ps -I'd love to drag and drop my files, that's what I do, when the ipod isn't full which happens each time I plug my ipod in. Oh yea, I alreadly have the autofill turned off, these are songs I can't play by the way.

Topic: I want to take random autofill off

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.