Only have the actual Shuffle, need help - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Only have the actual Shuffle, need help

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 07-27-2006, 05:41 PM

Freshman Lounger

Only have the actual Shuffle, need help

Hi-

A few days ago, I recieved an Ipod Shuffle, and ONLY the Ipod Shuffle. It has the headphones and some songs in it already, but it didn't come with the CD. Is there anyplace I can go to download the software so I'll be able to use it?

Thank you so much!
Old 07-27-2006, 05:59 PM

Senior Lounger

iTunes - http://www.apple.com/itunes/

iPod Updater - http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/

16GB iPod Touch, 60GB Video, 2GB Nano, 1GB Shuffle Click the image to open in full size.
5537 songs, 17.1 days, 36.1 GB
Old 08-02-2006, 05:25 PM

Senior Lounger

iTunes is not he only way to manage songs on a Shuffle and for the love of god... don't update the firmware if the shuffle works fine and there aren't annoying bugs in its running. As far as software goes you might try Winamp which now comes with an integrated iPod manager, or you could use a plugin for winamp: ml_ipod. but not the latest version as that seems to have a few problems. Just get version 1.3 and you're golden. I use this software because it doesn't pair my iPod with one computer only. I'm free to use it anywhere

DAP : iPod Shuffle

----------------------------------

Headphones: Apple whites, Senn PMX200, Senn HD212Pro
Old 08-03-2006, 05:53 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellor
and for the love of god... don't update the firmware if the shuffle works fine
what are the reasons to not update the firmware?
Old 08-04-2006, 02:18 AM

Senior Lounger

Well, one very good reason would be that it is very good to NOT fix something that is not broken. Apple generally does not add anything particularly useful to the Shuffle's firmware since it doesn't really want the Shuffle to be a great product. There isnt't much of a margin in Shuffle sales. Therefore updating the firmware gives you nothing you really need or want. Even more the latest update lowers the maximum possible volume. This isn't something that would bother me per se... but still i don't like to not have the choice of cranking the volume even if I don't do that.
And an even more important reason is the fact that by updating you are exposing yourself to the slim... but very frequent still... chance that your ipod will present the infamous green and amber lights and pretty much die. And i know you wouldn't want that.

Good enough reasons?

Oh, I forgot to ask... why exactly are you asking me this. I'm pretty sure you know tons more than me about this

Old 08-05-2006, 02:19 AM

Veteran Lounger

have you tested the maximum volume? what has apple done to the shuffle to harm it? i haven't read any posts of flashing firmware causing the deaths, but i guess it doesn't seem too far fetched and i haven't been around much.

i know the earlier firmware updates improved noise between tracks.

Last edited by zip22; 08-05-2006 at 02:22 AM.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:51 AM

Senior Lounger

Ok... then you really must not be the zip22 i know roamed this forum half a year ago... because if you are there is NO way you couldn't remember the whole problem with the updates from before the nano was introduced. There were tons of ppl who were crying around here about updates killing their Shuffles. That's why I actually skipped updating my Shuffle the last 2 or 3 times a new version came out. Maybe you forgot. It is possible
And since I have not updated my iPod to the latest firmware you can see how I have not tested the volume which the iPod will have after being updated. I really don't believe it is necessary for me since I am a careful listener and don't wish to blow my brains out with my music. Cheers

Old 08-09-2006, 05:41 PM

Gadgeteer

Well, I updated my Shuffle a few weeks ago via a regular Apple update and it did indeed cure a problem I was having. So there.

Click the image to open in full size.
OMG! It's My Gadget Life
Old 08-16-2006, 03:04 AM

Senior Lounger

So there? ) I'm not sayibg this is a frequent thing but it has been known to happen and the people who had this kill their iPods were kicking themselves. I quit updating in April since that was the period when this was happening

Topic: Only have the actual Shuffle, need help

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.