Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: shuffle not recognized in usb port or by itunes or ipod updater

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 05-31-2006, 07:03 AM

Freshman Lounger

damn...

I am happy to see that I'm not the only one having this problem. But seeing that no one seems to have an answer to this problem is not really promising. All of a sudden my Shuffle stopped getting recognized and the yellow light starts flashing whet I put it in the usb port. When I take it out and turn it on, the green and yellow lights start flashing.

I only have my Shuffle for two weeks. :-(

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:08 PM

Senior Lounger

See this article: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302110

If you've tried the things suggested, you will need to send it in to Apple.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:01 AM

Freshman Lounger

Unhappy

my shuffle is not recognized at all - no message whatsoever, and the thing is i just charged it the night before it 'died' on my windows xp, then when i tried to use it in school to get a file (a mac machine), it wasn't recognized (and i have successfully used it on another mac machine before). I thought that maybe it is a fluke, but sadly when i got home, tried plugging it in on my windows xp pc, nothing happened - and to verify it i plugged it in on my laptop as well (it also worked on my laptop before), still nothing.

but the thing is, i can still play it and hear music - controls works and all -, so definitely its not a battery problem, nor memory corruption problem.

Reset - already did, still nothing happens
Retry - retried with many different usb ports in different computers, still nothing
Restart - not applicable
Reinstall - not applicable, itunes software is not a variable here
Restore - can't restore via ipod updater since the shuffle is not seen in the first place

im guessing the usb conection module is wasted...
Old 06-04-2006, 10:51 PM

Freshman Lounger

My shuffle will not pick up on my comp at all. But it will on other comps. So I update songs when I get a chance and I charge it on my dell 2405. I will get a usb extender and see if that helps.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:03 AM

Pro Lounger

Seems like the shuffle has a touchy USB connector. Mine was having problems recently and I got it to work by pulling it out of the usb port a tiny bit.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:54 AM

Freshman Lounger

same problem here....

I've had my ipod shuffle for about 14 months, never had a problem until now, I can't get it to work at all.

It's got progressively worse. It started out disconneting unexpectedly halfway through filling. Then Itunes stopped recognising it. Now when I plug it in it appears as a drive in My Computer, but if I try to access it it freezes until I unplug it.

My fiancee's shuffle works fine so it's not itunes. I've tried all the guidance (the 5 Rs, reinstalling intunes, etc). I'm very frustrated with this as it's only just out of warranty. I don't want to have to buy another shuffle, but frustratingly the vast majority of my music collection is in AAC format, so it looks like that might be only option.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:37 PM

Freshman Lounger

Well, my 1G Shuffle just died too. Same problem as above posters, in that nothing shows up on my Mac's desktop or iTunes. I've tried all the 'fixes' on the apple site, but it's still a 'no go'.
The Shuffle seems to have a high failure rate as it ages. I had mine for 14 months and used it around 3-4 hours a week.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:03 PM

Freshman Lounger

usb not recognized - now works OK

after removing usb external HDD ( maxtor 100)

Computer HP Pavilion a1140a
Old 07-06-2006, 01:59 AM

Freshman Lounger

i3 like previous folk experienced dead usb connect pre 1-year anniversary (no applecare). I looked here first and saw that soooooooo many others suffered from the iPod Shuffle S.I.D.S. issue. Left all out on a limb upside down lost in fog feinin' hardcore for my groovez in tranist, I simply broke down and got a new one (the smaller one this time) with a generic (non-Apple) charger for way hella cheap and I'm back deep in my groovez again. I got way more than worth my buck outta it, and sooo much so that I'd turn around and get yet another after the bitter death of the first. I think that that says atleast a little sumtin' for the pure pleasure of enjoyment and sheer eaze of use & ownership of the it (even though it may die on me in less than a year or there abouts). Gonna invest in an iSkin Duo case/sleeve for it this time and see if that could prolong the life of much beloved Shuffle.

Do what you love, and you will find someone who loves the same thing. Don't look for love, beg for love, or suffer for love. Just Live.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:23 PM

Freshman Lounger

Well, at first i was glad to see that someone else had the same problems i do. but apparently it's just sudden ipod death syndrome. this really tees me off. this is the second iPod i've had that's just up and died (my other one was a thirty gig that also just up and died on me). one day my ipod wouldn't play at all, so i put it in an xp computer to charge it when there was an onscreen message telling me that it malfunctioned and windows doesn't recognize it. it looks as though my only recourse will be to have to call and deal with freaking tech support and send off my ipod to hopefully get it refurbished. this is the third time i've had to do this, and every time i'd only had my ipod for a few months.

ipod sucks.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:21 PM

Freshman Lounger

I managed to get my suddenly undetectable ipod shuffles recognized again by plugging it into an external self-powered USB 2.0 hub that was newly installed on the WinXP PC. Bam ipod recognized.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:02 PM

Freshman Lounger

Count me in too

My Ipod Shuffle is doing the same thing. It is no longer recognized by any of my computers, but it still will play the songs that I have on it (at least until the battery runs out). I noticed about two weeks ago that when my shuffle was plugged in it would randomly connect and disconnect from the Winamp program I used to transfer songs. I recently updated the firmware and installed the latest version of Itunes. When I plugged the shuffle in it was not recognized by windows explorer and no longer worked with my Winamp plugin. I uninstalled Itunes, and reinstalled the firmware and it had been working fine for the past week.

I've had my Ipod shuffle for over a year and I had to send my original one back to Apple because it died about four months after receiving it (could not revive it). Well, I really did enjoy the Shuffle when it was working but I'm thinking that this is the time to jump off the bandwagon. I'm not spending any additional money on a new Ipod Shuffle with the odds of it dying within a year. I do need a new cell phone so Sony W810i (non-itunes mp3) here I come!

Thanks Apple!
Old 07-15-2006, 02:04 PM

Freshman Lounger

Solved for me

Problem:
when connecting my ishuffle to my machine, i get a "USB Device not recognized" error.

Solution: held the "increase volumne" and "play/pause" button together for a few seconds.

ishuffle now recognized by computer

Last edited by ontheDB; 07-16-2006 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:41 PM

Freshman Lounger

^^^^^ are u serious??!!?!?!??!
Old 07-24-2006, 11:24 PM

Freshman Lounger

god... mp3 players must have crap out timers. apparently my shuffle now will break on me soon. ive alreayd had 2 others break. anyway... i guessu tried opening itunes, restarting to computer (well realyy opening task manger and closin the itunes stuff that reoping it thru the icon) maybe theyre set to die in time.

Topic: shuffle not recognized in usb port or by itunes or ipod updater

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.