Updater hangs every time. Shuffle does not appear in iTunes. User at wit's end. - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Updater hangs every time. Shuffle does not appear in iTunes. User at wit's end.

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 11-17-2005, 01:37 AM

Freshman Lounger

Updater hangs every time. Shuffle does not appear in iTunes. User at wit's end.

I have Windows XP SP 2, iTunes 6, the latest (and apparently not-so-greatest) version of Updater and iPod firmware.

I recently got a new PC (w/ the XP) and have had no luck getting Shuffle to work on it. Before, I had a Win2000 SP4 and the iPod worked with no issues.

Specifically, when I connect the iPod to the PC, it appears in My Computer but not in iTunes. If I double-click the iPod (F: drive in My Computer), I get the error "Drive F:\ is not accessible." When I try to launch Updater to restore the Shuffle, the application hangs during the "initializing" message. Basically I haven't gotten any functionality from my iPod since my upgrade to the new PC.

I feel like I've tried just about EVERYTHING short of reinstalling Windows to fix this issue, so I'm really out of ideas. This is where I hope your collective knowledge can help! I have followed all steps on Apple's iPod support page, including trying iPod with all USB ports, uninstalling/reinstalling iTunes and Updater (latest versions), and doing some OS clean up like emptying temp folders, etc. In addition, I disabled USB 2.0 in my BIOS (I read about a possible USB 2.0 issue with my Nvidia motherboard.) Thinking it could be a power issue, I purchased a powered USB hub (iPod wasn't even recognized on that thing), and finally purchased a USB 2.0 PCI card with it's own USB chipset. I disabled the onboard USB. Still the SAME issue. Since I'm still in warranty I decided to see if it was the iPod itself and exchanged it through Apple. Suprise, surprise - the exact same symptoms occurred. I don't know where else to turn!
I've read some threads on here about similar - though not identical - issues, so I will try reverting to a lower version of the iPod firmware. Any other thoughts?? If I can't get this working, I'm about to can it, and get a different brand of MP3 player. I don't want to have to go there.

Thanks, everyone.

- Luke
Old 11-18-2005, 12:54 AM

Freshman Lounger

As an update, I located a version of Updater from June '05, uninstalled the current one and loaded that instead. It didn't make any difference - it still hangs when loading. As a test, I uninstalled iTunes so my system just had Updater on it. Windows does it's "found new hardware" thing and recognizes the iPod as three components: USB Removable Storage Device, Apple iPod USB Device, and Disk Drive. I'm not sure if this is what should be loaded. But, to test things out I go back to My Computer and try to open the iPod as a drive (F and I get the same "unable to access" message I cited in the original post. This tells me it may be an issue with Windows XP's removable media/USB storage drivers - not any of the Apple software.

I'm still hoping someone out there has ran into something similar and found a way to fix it.

Tonight I'll have access to a Windows 2000 system which I'll load Updater and iTunes on, to see if I get functionality on another system.

Thanks again,

- Luke

Topic: Updater hangs every time. Shuffle does not appear in iTunes. User at wit's end.

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.