Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Why won't 6th gen nano turn off completely? It has the latest firmware.

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-29-2012, 02:31 PM

Freshman Lounger

Why won't 6th gen nano turn off completely? It has the latest firmware.

Hello,

I recently upgraded to the 6th generation and I'm having this problem. I'll complete a work out and shut it down by holding that button down for about 10 seconds and it looks to be completely shutting down with the with the wheel spinning and everything.

Then a couple days later when I workout again I see it has died (it was not plugged in, just put away in the drawer). This has happened several times and each time I make sure to hold the button down long enough.

Anyone know why this is happening? I think I'm shutting it down correctly. Is something causing it to turn on when I've shut it down?

Everything else has been fine but this is driving me nuts. Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong. I hope I don't have to charge it after every single workout.

Thank you

Last edited by gullit; 12-29-2012 at 02:36 PM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:59 PM

The device does use power constantly. So it is possible that maintaining the internal clock is burning your battery. Especially if your battery is weak or not completely charged already.

Are you using the Hold button after turning it off to ensure it is not accidentally turned on?

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 01-03-2013, 10:45 PM

Junior Lounger

The solution to this problem is that Apple for some reason made the new iPod Nano's that you don't shut them off completely with just the sleep button being held down. To ensure the iPod is completely off you need to put it into DFU mode. This mode is usually used for hacking projects but this is also a great mode to be in if you need to conserve battery. Here's a link to show you how to get into DFU mode iPod nano 6G DFU Mode Discovered ! Possibility Of Running Custom Firmware.

Good Luck!

-Neverfa11ing (iPod Hacker/Fixer)

Topic: Why won't 6th gen nano turn off completely? It has the latest firmware.

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.