Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: 2nd gen nano not turning on (long story)

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 11-12-2012, 08:46 PM

Freshman Lounger

Red face 2nd gen nano not turning on (long story)

I have the 2nd gen 4gb blue ipod nano with the white screen of death for quite some time. I tried the 5 "r"s and it didn't work so I decided to replace my screen. Before the process, I had put the ipod in the "hold" position and I started to dissemble it. However, this process took me about 2 days because I didn't have the right screw driver size and I had to unbend the corners since they were dented. When I was unbending the corners on top, I accidentally tore off the hold switch. (I immediately thought that it was useless to go on, but I still continued) After I got everything bent correctly, I replaced the screen successfully and I put everything back together. Now the problem was finding a way to power on the ipod. I docked it in my ihome and the screen was now working! HOWEVER, the entire clickwheel was not functioning and there was no lock symbol . I was able to play/change/pause songs via the buttons on the ihome. (I also plugged into my computer and it was able to recognize it.) After leaving it on my desk unplugged for roughly 10 min, I plugged it back into my ihome but the ipod didn't turn on. I tried plugging it in back into the computer and nothing happened. (the computer didn't recognize it nor did the ipod turn on) What is going on? Is there something wrong with my battery now? Has my ipod become a paperweight? Please help, and thanks

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:49 PM

Sounds like a dead battery or loose wire in an OLD iPod that has been ripped apart and put back together without professional help. The thing does not hold a charge and the click wheel is bad.

In other words, it is probably time to replace it.

You might be able to leave it charging for 30 minutes for it to be recognized by the PC or iHome, if the battery is the problem. Then you should charge it for 4 hours or more.

Then see how long it lasts. If it dies quickly again, you may need to take it apart again and replace the battery or check the wiring.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 11-13-2012, 07:59 PM

Freshman Lounger

I'm actually in the process of getting a new iPod. I have the 1st gen Nano also and I'm waiting for Apple to send me the replacement box program so I can have that one replaced.

BUT, I still want to keep my 2nd gen Nano as like a backup. If not, then I can just use it in the car and leave it plugged into there.

As for now, I got the iPod back on. The battery has never failed me as it always held up charges.. so i hope that isn't the problem. Before I replaced the screen, the click wheel worked fine but after the hold switch was accidentally ripped, I'm guessing why it stopped working. Time to replace the hold switch module?

Topic: 2nd gen nano not turning on (long story)

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.