Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 11-07-2012, 06:10 AM

Freshman Lounger

Uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes

Hi,

When I start iTunes on my Windows 7 PC I am getting the message "iTunes was not properly installed. If you wish to import or burn CDs, you need to reinstall iTunes".

After looking for help online, I found this link http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3299 which tells me I must uninstall and reinstall iTunes. Before I do so, can someone tell me what will happen, if I do so, when I next connect my iPod? Will it try to sync to an empty iTunes library and so delete everything on the iPod, or will everything still be there and OK?

I am not sure how to proceed,

Thanks for any advice/help.

Roger

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:56 AM

Uninstalling and re-installing iTunes will have no affect on your actual iTunes library, it will only mess with iTunes itself. I recommend uninstalling iTunes, QuickTime, Bonjour, and any other Apple program you currently have installed on your computer. Then download a new iTunes installation file from Apple and install it. You won't lose your library contents, playlists, ratings, playcounts, or anything like that. All of your information will be stored for future use. Uninstalling iTunes simply removes files associated with iTunes as a program. That means that you can plug your iPod in next time, your library won't change, and you can sync as usual.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)

Last edited by cjmnews; 11-07-2012 at 10:33 AM. Reason: corrected a typo that changed the entire meaning

Topic: Uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.