iPod Nano 7th Generation Possible Hacks - Page 10 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPod Nano 7th Generation Possible Hacks

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 03-01-2017, 07:58 PM

Freshman Lounger

1.0.3 rsrc image extraction

Hi there,

I discovered recently I had a Nano 7, and was wondering what I could do with it. I discovered this thread, and began playing with it. I think that I might have been able to create a tool to compress the fw's back into the Firmware.MSE (I've managed to compress regular fw's, but not modified versions since I don't know how do modify them reliably). Availble on GitHub under ninjaprawn/compress7g

I was wondering if anyone has managed to extract an rsrc image from the file for 1.0.3, and managed to mount it on Mac (Sierra)?
Old 03-03-2017, 04:29 PM

Freshman Lounger

Nevermind. For those interested, the disk image is formatted with a MBR, and Sierra doesn't seem to like it, so I booted into Windows to view and modify it.

It seems that modifying it wasn't as easy as I thought. I tried sending through my modified rsrc file, but the iPod went into "Bad Software" mode after booting for a little. I examined the rsrc file header, and I believe there may be a hash, possibly SHA1, that is used to check the file. The problem is that I'm not sure which region of the overall file is being hashed. I've got some brute-forcing going, but I'm not sure if I will get far. (potential hash is at offset 4160)
Old 03-04-2017, 09:45 PM

Freshman Lounger

Never mind the theory on the hash. I removed some content from the header of the rsrc file, and it somehow worked! I only did a minor change of changing the long title of the "Basic" workout from "Basic Workout" to "The Basic".

I'll see what I can do in terms of theming. Luckily there are a ton of posts about the structure of the SilverDB file. I'll first write a viewer for the image files, since they aren't the normal png/jpg formats. Once I do that, I'll have a better understanding of the image structure, and see what I can do to modify the images.
Old Today, 12:58 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaprawn View Post
Never mind the theory on the hash. I removed some content from the header of the rsrc file, and it somehow worked! I only did a minor change of changing the long title of the "Basic" workout from "Basic Workout" to "The Basic".

I'll see what I can do in terms of theming. Luckily there are a ton of posts about the structure of the SilverDB file. I'll first write a viewer for the image files, since they aren't the normal png/jpg formats. Once I do that, I'll have a better understanding of the image structure, and see what I can do to modify the images.
Nice! Have you tried replacing any of the music/sounds? And can I have a link to the tool you are using to send over modified rsrc files?
Old Today, 01:50 AM

Junior Lounger

I had a look into SilverImagesDB.LE.bin, and found an interesting unused icon:
Click the image to open in full size.
Any ideas as to what it is for?

Topic: iPod Nano 7th Generation Possible Hacks

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.