Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How do I create a playlist that can be skipped when shuffled, but still shuffled?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-06-2011, 02:20 PM

Freshman Lounger

How do I create a playlist that can be skipped when shuffled, but still shuffled?

For example, I want my breakbeats (dance songs) inside one playlist that can be shuffled, so I dont have to listen to them in order. However, I have it skipped when shuffled so the songs dont go into my other songs that I can casually listen to. I've been looking for an answer for weeks, but still havent found one, so any ideas?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:34 PM

The "Skip when shuffling" parameter is at the song level, not playlist, so there's no way you can set a group of songs to be skipped while the iPod is in shuffle mode, but then allow for shuffling when playing that specific playlist.

I think you ought to leave the songs such that they can shuffle, but then exclude these songs somehow from your "casual" playback routine. In other words, find something unique about these songs you want to avoid (either their Artists, Albums, or Genres) and use the magic of a smart playlist to select everything but those songs, and play that smart playlist in shuffle mode.

If you can't find a particular parameter(s) that you can easily use to exclude these songs from the "everything else smart playlist" you might consider tagging them in some special way to keep them out of such a playlist (e.g. use the Grouping, Comments, or maybe BPM section of the tag to mark them).
Old 09-07-2011, 10:27 AM

That's exactly what I suggested, just using a smart playlist to exclude those songs.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:04 PM

Freshman Lounger

But after I set it in a smart playlist, it is included into the normal shuffle I think?
Old 09-09-2011, 10:47 AM

Pro Lounger

create a separate playlist for those songs. doesn't use anymore space than it is already taking up. just play that playlist when you want to listen to those particular songs.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:49 PM

Pro Lounger

Try making a smart playlist 'that does not' contain album of your breakbeats, or genre of breakbeats, or whatever else you want excluded, audiobooks, etc.

Then you will have one massive smart playlist of the rest of music that you can shuffle and not have your breakbeats in it.

Here is a link to more help.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:24 PM

Freshman Lounger

@Sid32 that doesn't answer my question about making the main shuffle playable, not just having 2 seperate playlists
Old 09-12-2011, 11:51 AM

Pro Lounger

There is not way to exclude your breakbeats in the main shuffle. If you make a smart playlist that does not contain your breakbeats you can shuffle that.

Smart playlists don't take up any space on your player and will allow you to shuffle between the songs you want to hear and exclude your breakbeats.

If this doesn't answer your question, please re state it.

Topic: How do I create a playlist that can be skipped when shuffled, but still shuffled?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.